PDA

View Full Version : What were the clerics save or dies etcs?

deuxhero
2009-08-22, 12:13 AM
(etc being save or lose, save or suck and the like)

I have a pretty good idea of the wizard list (grease, sleep ect), but the only cleric (non domain) ones that I know off hand are hold person and slay living.

edit:corrected my latin.

Milskidasith
2009-08-22, 12:14 AM
Holy Word and similar spells. No save, just die.

tyckspoon
2009-08-22, 12:22 AM
On the core list:
Doom
Hold Person
Bestow Curse
Blindness/Deafness
Poison (maximized if you can swing it, although this is probably more accurately classed as a damaging spell- good set up for another Fort-save killer if you can force it through with Poison's unusual DC mechanic, tho.)
Plane Shift (2 full spell levels before a Wizard gets it)
Slay Living
Assorted Symbols
the alignment Words
Destruction
Energy Drain
Implosion

plus whatever you can snag off the Wizard/Druid lists with your domain choices.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-22, 12:22 AM
Bestow Curse
Hold Person
Blindness/Deafness
Poison
Slay Living
Harm/Heal (depending on target being undead or not)
Banishment (vs outsiders)
Undeath to Death (vs undead)
Blasphemy/Dictum/Word of Chaos/Holy Word (no save, just die)
Destruction (save or Die AND Disintegrate)
Dimensional Anchor/Lock (assuming you need to use ports/ethereal/astral to avoid meatshield)
Implosion

Jack_Simth
2009-08-22, 12:24 AM
The Cleric list is a bit thinner on the Save or ... spells than the Sor/Wiz list, but they're there.

Combat-wise, you have Doom, Silence, Shatter, Bestow Curse, Contagion, Prayer, Blindness/Deafness, Dismissal, Command (and it's Greater counterpart), Disrupting Weapon, Plane Shift, Slay Living, the entire Symbol of line, Wall of Stone, Banishment, Harm (sort of), Undeath to Death, Destruction, Repulsion (also Antilife Shell), Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos, Cloak of Chaos/Holy Aura/Shield of Law/Unholy Aura, Energy Drain, and Implosion.

deuxhero
2009-08-22, 12:24 AM
Thanks.

I think the druids job was primarly to be 2 melee monsters at once that get all sorts of silly buffss, but does he have any good ones?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 04:23 AM
(ect being save or lose, save or suck and the like)
Sorry, but this just bugs me to no end. I think you're trying for etc. here, not ect. Etc. is short for the Latin et cetera (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/et+cetera) ("and others"). ect (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ect) is either an abbreviation for "ElectroConvulsive Therapy" or a Greek prefix meaning "external".

You can also use et c. (with the space) or & c. (my favorite), since "et" is a separate word, meaning "and".

Also, there's no cause to put an "s" at the end (as you've done with ects), because cetera is already plural. If you just mean one other thing it's et ceterus.

Kizara
2009-08-22, 04:40 AM
Sorry, but this just bugs me to no end. I think you're trying for etc. here, not ect. Etc. is short for the Latin et cetera (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/et+cetera) ("and others"). ect (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ect) is either an abbreviation for "ElectroConvulsive Therapy" or a Greek prefix meaning "external".

You can also use et c. (with the space) or & c. (my favorite), since "et" is a separate word, meaning "and".

Also, there's no cause to put an "s" at the end (as you've done with ects), because cetera is already plural. If you just mean one other thing it's et ceterus.

I'm sorry, but it seriously bugs you that people don't have the working knowledge of Latin that you do? Man that must suck...

I can't even fathom the amount of people you run into daily (let alone online) that can't speak/write functional Latin; must drive you completely insane.

blazinghand
2009-08-22, 04:43 AM
I'm sorry, but it seriously bugs you that people don't have the working knowledge of Latin that you do? Man that must suck...

I can't even fathom the amount of people you run into daily (let alone online) that can't speak/write functional Latin; must drive you completely insane.

These things must bother him Ad Nasueus. As with all latin phrases, Caveeat empty. He tries to Deim Carp when he can.

Edit: And Cleric gets Symbol of Insanity and Death.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 05:07 AM
I'm sorry, but it seriously bugs you that people don't have the working knowledge of Latin that you do?
No, it just bugs me that people don't bother to use spell checkers. As I type this in Mozilla I'll get a red underline on ect., but not on etc. I just gave the explanation behind what the spell checker is (or should be) doing for you.

Evilfeeds
2009-08-22, 06:35 AM
While I agree that lerning 2 spel gud really isn't that difficult, complaining about idiocy on an internet forum is kindof like complaining that the sea is wet.

Philaenas
2009-08-22, 06:53 AM
If you just mean one other thing it's et ceterum.

Fixed that for you :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 07:42 AM
Fixed that for you :smalltongue:
No, you didn't. If you're using et cetera that's the adjective form, used substantively, to fill in for some know quantity (the other items, the other people, and so on). Ceterus is the singular of this adjective.

You're confusing this with the adverb cetera, meaning "in all other respects", which you would not use with et in this context. Ceterum is a similar adverb, meaning "but" or "still". (Et ceterum is perfectly reasonable Latin, but it means "otherwise" or "moreover".) Since Latin adverbs have no person, number, gender, case, voice, mood, or tense, these are separate words, not declinations of the same word.

Yes, Latin has homonyms. :smallamused:

Philaenas
2009-08-22, 08:28 AM
Hm, yes, I remember now that Latin got a little more complicated towards the end of highschool with some adjective forms :). Being as that was already 6 years ago, I guess it must have slipped my mind :smalltongue:.

deuxhero
2009-08-22, 11:33 AM
So can we get back to listing druid and cleric save or X?

woodenbandman
2009-08-22, 11:38 AM
Entangle might as well be. If they have no ranged weapons and can't break free, they're dead. Just chuck rocks at them for 10 minutes.

daggaz
2009-08-22, 11:53 AM
I DMed a campaign last year where the druid entangled every single encounter (started at lvl 3). The Fix? I threw him up against ogres with a buffed str score who could tear out of the stuff, albeight slowly, tho their reach weapons helped with the slow part. Then I put them underground for some time, where entangle just didnt work anymore due to no plants growing in the solid rock.

Jalor
2009-08-22, 12:08 PM
Then I put them underground for some time, where entangle just didnt work anymore due to no plants growing in the solid rock.

My friend's Druids counteract this by carrying potted plants.

HCL
2009-08-22, 12:28 PM

Awesome idea

Darrin
2009-08-22, 12:52 PM
Conjure Ice Beast, Cleric 1-9 (Frostburn). Conjure large/huge/colossal centipedes with the engulf special ability. A bunch of smaller creatures with a 10' burst 1d6 cold aura (no save) as a free action can also come in handy.

Ice Slick, Cleric 1 (Frostburn). Grease for churchgoers.

Path of Frost, Druid 1 (Dragon Magic). Grease for treehuggers.

Blinding Spittle, Druid 2 (SC). Ranged touch attack to blind, no save.

Blood Snow, Cleric/Druid 2 (Frostburn). Requires snow on the ground, but Fort save or take 1d2 Con plus nausea.

Clutch of Orcus, Cleric 3 (SC). Fort save or paralyzed + damage. Also makes great keepsakes/souvenirs/knick-knacks/keychains.

Nauseating Breath, Cleric 3 (SC). Cone-shaped burst, Fort save or nauseated.

Doomtide, Cleric 4 (CDiv). Fog cloud + Will save or dazed.

Murderous Mist, Druid 4 (SC). Moving cloud of steam that does damage and Ref save or permanently blinded.

Wrack, Cleric 4 (SC). Fort save or blind and helpless.

Flesh to Salt, Druid 5 (Sandstorm). Fort save or turn into statue of salt.

Hibernate, Cleric/Druid 5 (Frostburn). Not quite as fancy and easy as sleep, but gets the job done.

Emy
2009-08-22, 01:04 PM
Holy Word and similar spells. No save, just die.

Clerics get Shivering Touch, too.

No save, just die (after you hit the enemy while they're down).

#Raptor
2009-08-22, 02:16 PM

This might have served as some inspiration for him. http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/27 :smallsmile:

As for cleric S o D/S spells... the one thing I won't prepare are those that come in better versions for wizards.
Take blindness for example. Its the sucky version of glitterdust.

Glitterdust = will save, double-threat to invisible/stealty creatures, 10 ft radius spread, SR doesn't apply, lvl 2 spell for wizards.
Blindness = fort save, single threat, single target, SR works against it, lvl 3 spell for clerics.

Now sometimes targeting fort can be better than targeting will (casters, etc.) but usually it'll be the other way around.