PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS] Character Critique for my Paladin

Kizara
2009-08-22, 04:59 AM
So, as a bit of a thought excersie I stated-up a paladin.

Note that I forgot to include his squire (probably a 5-10 pt dependant), but otherwise I'm fairly happy with what I've cooked up.

Its meant to be well put together but the objective is to make a cool character to roleplay that can be good at being a paladin, not min/max the crap out of him.

He doesn't have spellcasting, it's something I may be picking up via power investature when he gets some more points.

If you see anything amiss, curiously absent or simply have any comments or advice, please share.

The character:

Horsen McKnight (250 points)
Human

ST 17 [70]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 14 [40].
Damage 1d+2/3d-1; BL 58 lbs.; HP 17 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 14 [0].
Basic Speed 6.5 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Block 11 (Shield (Shield)); Dodge 10; Parry 12 (Broadsword).

Social Background
TL: 3 [0].
CF:
Languages:

Advantages
Appearance (Handsome) [12]; Blessed (Pact (+45)) [6]; Blessed (Heroic Feat) (Pact (+45)) [6]; Charisma 2 (Appearance) [8]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 5 (Tough Skin; Pact (+45)) [5]; Destiny (Great) [15]; Detect (Evil) (Occasional) (Pact (+45)) [6]; Fearlessness 4 (Pact (+45)) [5]; Fit [5]; Hard to Kill 1 [2]; Healing (Faith Healing; Pact (+45)) [23]; High Pain Threshold (Pact (+45)) [6]; Higher Purpose (Pact (+45)) [3]; Independent Income 2 [2]; Recovery (Pact (+45)) [6]; Religious Rank 2 (Pact (+45)) [6]; Resistant (Very Common) (+3; Pact (+45)) [6]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Perks: Honest Face [1].

Disadvantages
Code of Honor (pact) (Chivalry) [-15]; Easy to Read [-10]; Enemy (All criminals or evil people) (medium-sized group, some formidable or super-human) (9 or less) [-30]; Honesty ((pact)) (12 or less) [-10]; Impulsiveness (12 or less) [-10]; Intolerance (Intolerance of one group) [-5]; Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]; Sense of Duty (pact) (Large Group) [-10]; Truthfulness (pact) (6 or less) [-10]; Vow (Use only 'knightly' weapons) (Minor) [-5]; Weirdness Magnet [-15].
Quirks: Congenial; Humble; Likes combat [-3].

Skills
Animal Handling (Equines)-9 (IQ-1) [1]; Armoury/TL3 (Melee Weapons)-9 (IQ-1) [1]; Axe/Mace-12 (DX+0) [2]; Bow-11 (DX-1) [1]; Broadsword-16 (DX+4) [16]; Detect Lies-12 (Per+2) [12]; Fast-Draw (Sword)-15 (DX+3) [4]; Flail-10 (DX-2) [1]; Heraldry-11 (IQ+1) [4]; Lance-15 (DX+3) [12]; Riding (Equines)-16 (DX+4) [16]; Shield (Shield)-14 (DX+2) [4]; Survival (Woodlands)-10 (Per+0) [2]; Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace)-14 (DX+2) [4].

Name is a bit of a WIP. :smallwink:

bibliophile
2009-08-22, 10:59 AM
He should have the True Faith advantage. The essence of it is:

For as long as you assert your faith, no malign supernatural entity (GM’s judgment as to what this covers) may approach within one yard of you.

Seems appropriate.

warmachine
2009-08-22, 11:55 AM
First, rules difficulties. There is no such thing as Charisma 2 (Appearance) [8]. It is Charisma 2 [10]. Rank of any kind can't normally have a Pact limitation as it's a socially granted trait, not divine. Unless your god or whatever can tell your church to fire you.

Next, combat capabilities. Good set for a combat hero, especially DR 5, but I'd include Luck [15], which is common for superhuman level. I'd also reduce ST and HT by 2 and increase DX by 2. This will boost shield, parry, which will help against multiple mooks, and weapon skills for taking on good opponents. If you have Broadsword-18 (98% success) and your opponent has parry 13 (16% failure), you can use Deceptive Attack to drop your effective skill level to 12 (74%) and your opponent's parry to 10 (50%). I'd also take Weapon Master to boost damage and multiple parries. You're an action hero, expect multiple mooks and good swordsmen.

Also, as you insist on using knightly weapons, you're screwed if someone grapples you. Buy up Brawling or ask for the Close Combat Technique in MA69.

Next, other capabilities. Nice. If you can, ask if your Healing and Detect powers can be linked to the Good Talent (P128). That would fit a capable hero with only average IQ.

Finally, roleplaying. You clearly like roleplaying insufferably straight characters with a belief in a higher purpose. NPCs will love you but the other PCs will quickly realise you're trouble and a PITA. Yet you try to get along. The PC arguments are gonna be hilarious!

I think some good fantasy templates can be found in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series but I've never read them.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-22, 12:00 PM
Slight sidetrack, warmachine, but what's a PITA, in this context? I know about the animal rights groups, and the wonderful Mediterranean region bread, but what does it mean here?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-22, 12:11 PM
Slight sidetrack, warmachine, but what's a PITA, in this context? I know about the animal rights groups, and the wonderful Mediterranean region bread, but what does it mean here?

The animal rights group is PETA

PITA is an acronym: Pain In The Arse.

Kizara
2009-08-22, 03:13 PM
Warmachine, thank you for your feedback! Allow me to address it in detail:

First, rules difficulties. There is no such thing as Charisma 2 (Appearance) [8]. It is Charisma 2 [10]. Rank of any kind can't normally have a Pact limitation as it's a socially granted trait, not divine. Unless your god or whatever can tell your church to fire you.

This is a house rule. Apparence levels give a -10% reduction on charisma per level. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the Rank; since his divine-granted powers are the sole reason for his rank, I thought it would be appropriate. I'll see what my GM thinks of it, but thanks for your input.

Next, combat capabilities. Good set for a combat hero, especially DR 5, but I'd include Luck [15], which is common for superhuman level. I'd also reduce ST and HT by 2 and increase DX by 2. This will boost shield, parry, which will help against multiple mooks, and weapon skills for taking on good opponents. If you have Broadsword-18 (98% success) and your opponent has parry 13 (16% failure), you can use Deceptive Attack to drop your effective skill level to 12 (74%) and your opponent's parry to 10 (50%). I'd also take Weapon Master to boost damage and multiple parries. You're an action hero, expect multiple mooks and good swordsmen.

I didn't take higher then DR 5 because it would be lame. With the pact and tough skin limitations, I had it down to 1 pt per 1 DR, so I easily couldve got like DR 20. I don't agree with ST and HT for DX. I simply bought up weapon skill higher instead. I'd rather have to spend 8 pts for +1 skill to his weapon skills then 20 pts for more DX, especially at the cost of extremely-valuable ST and HT. I intentionally didn't take Weapon Master because I wanted something to build towards. I wanted him to acquire it in-game as opposed to starting as a master.

EDIT: As for luck, I'll consider it but I took Great Destiny, and I have higher purpose. With this I shouldn't have too much trouble with bad luck. Its wroth considering though.

Also, as you insist on using knightly weapons, you're screwed if someone grapples you. Buy up Brawling or ask for the Close Combat Technique in MA69.

Since none of us know the grappling rules (we remember the annoyance of 3.5's grappling, and GURPS is of course that much more complex), it doesn't come up and I have no idea what I should have to deal with it.

Next, other capabilities. Nice. If you can, ask if your Healing and Detect powers can be linked to the Good Talent (P128). That would fit a capable hero with only average IQ.

P128 is, where? Cause looking in the skill talents I don't see a "Good" talent.

Finally, roleplaying. You clearly like roleplaying insufferably straight characters with a belief in a higher purpose. NPCs will love you but the other PCs will quickly realise you're trouble and a PITA. Yet you try to get along. The PC arguments are gonna be hilarious!

I think some good fantasy templates can be found in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series but I've never read them.

I have a lot of experience RPing Paladins in 3.5. Two played straight, one very unothadox paladin of freedom, one who struggled with his code and started as a fighter, a LN paladin of 'order at all costs' (gestalt with cleric, disgustingly powerful and optimized character), a couple LE paladin of tyrannies.

As you can no-doubt see, paladins/clerics are by far my favorite trope, although I do play other characters. I tried to replicate the 3.5 paladin code with the appropriate GURPS disadvantages. I rarely have an issue keeping my code unless I decide to go that way in my RPing.

Also, while there is bound to be a bit of arguments at the table, the character is very action-oriented and willing to bust some heads for the right cause. He also doesn't have stuff like Killjoy or Callous or the like, so nothing says he doesn't enjoy some carousing.

Bibliophile:

I saw and considered True Faith, and I may end up going for it after some discussion with my group, but I decided against it for now because I didn't really need to spend those points and its more of a Clericy-thing then a Paladin one. I can pick it up later in play if neccessary. Thanks for your input regardless.

Revised Character:

Horsen McKnight (250 points)
Human

ST 17 [70]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 14 [40].
Damage 1d+2/3d-1; BL 58 lbs.; HP 25 [16]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 14 [0].
Basic Speed 6.5 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Block 11 (Shield (Shield)); Dodge 10; Parry 12 (Broadsword).

Social Background
CF:
Languages:

Advantages
Appearance (Handsome) [12]; Blessed (Pact (+45)) [6]; Blessed (Heroic Feat) (Pact (+45)) [6]; Charisma 2 (Appearance) [8]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 5 (Tough Skin; Pact (+45)) [5]; Destiny (Great) [15]; Detect (Evil) (Occasional) (Pact (+45)) [6]; Fearlessness 4 (Pact (+45)) [5]; Fit [5]; Hard to Kill 1 [2]; Healing (Faith Healing; Pact (+45)) [23]; High Pain Threshold (Pact (+45)) [6]; Higher Purpose (Pact (+45)) [3]; Independent Income 2 [2]; Magic Resistance 3 (Pact (+45)) [4]; Recovery (Pact (+45)) [6]; Religious Rank 2 (Pact (+45)) [6]; Resistant (Very Common) (+3; Pact (+45)) [6]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].

Disadvantages
Code of Honor (pact) (Chivalry) [-15]; Dependent (Squire) (No more than 50%) (Friend; 15 or less) [-15]; Easy to Read [-10]; Enemy (All criminals or evil people) (medium-sized group, some formidable or super-human) (9 or less) [-30]; Honesty ((pact)) (12 or less) [-10]; Impulsiveness (12 or less) [-10]; Intolerance (Intolerance of one group) [-5]; Motion Sickness [-10]; Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]; Sense of Duty (pact) (Large Group) [-10]; Truthfulness (pact) (6 or less) [-10]; Vow (Use only 'knightly' weapons) (Minor) [-5]; Weirdness Magnet [-15].
Quirks: Congenial; Distinctive Feature; Humble; Likes combat [-4].

Skills
Animal Handling (Equines)-9 (IQ-1) [1]; Armoury/TL3 (Melee Weapons)-9 (IQ-1) [1]; Axe/Mace-12 (DX+0) [2]; Bow-13 (DX+1) [4]; Broadsword-16 (DX+4) [16]; Detect Lies-12 (Per+2) [12]; Fast-Draw (Sword)-15 (DX+3) [4]; Heraldry-11 (IQ+1) [4]; Lance-15 (DX+3) [12]; Riding (Equines)-17 (DX+5) [20]; Shield (Shield)-14 (DX+2) [4]; Survival (Woodlands)-10 (Per+0) [2]; Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace)-14 (DX+2) [4].

Added in the squire as a dependant, and used the points to buy some HP (that I forgot to do the first time). Also added some Magic Resistance, and better bow skill.

Annd, his squire:

Joey Squireson (125 points)
Age 11; Human

ST 12 [20]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 13 [30].
Damage 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lbs.; HP 16 [8]; Will 10 [0]; Per 13 [15]; FP 13 [0].
Basic Speed 6 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Block 10 (Shield (Shield)); Dodge 9; Parry 9 (Broadsword).

Social Background
CF:
Languages:

Advantages
Destiny (Minor) [5]; Fearlessness 1 [2]; Fit [5]; Hard to Kill 1 [2]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Higher Purpose [5].

Disadvantages
Code of Honor (Chivalry) [-15]; Duty (Serving Horsen) (12 or less (quite often)) (Extremely Hazardous) [-15]; Easy to Read [-10]; Guilt Complex [-5]; Honesty (15 or less) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Large Group) [-10]; Social Stigma (Minor) [-5]; Truthfulness (12 or less) [-5].
Quirks: Humble; Imaginative; Obsession [-3].

Skills
Animal Handling (Equines)-13 (IQ+3) [12]; Armoury/TL3 (Melee Weapons)-9 (IQ-1) [1]; Bow-14 (DX+3) [12]; Broadsword-13 (DX+2) [8]; Fast-Draw/TL4 (Ammo)-14 (DX+3) [8]; First Aid/TL3 (Human)-10 (IQ+0) [1]; Riding (Equines)-15 (DX+4) [15]; Search-13 (Per+0) [2]; Shield (Shield)-14 (DX+3) [8]; Survival (Plains)-14 (Per+1) [4]; Survival (Woodlands)-13 (Per+0) [2]; Veterinary/TL3-9 (IQ-1) [2].

I'm thinking of throwing in some Streetwise for him. Built him to be a horse archer, which upon investigating is (too) easy to do in GURPS.

warmachine
2009-08-22, 06:31 PM
P128 is the standard abbreviation for GURPS Powers p128.

You can't take Motion Sickness in an era when almost all travel is on horse or foot except, perhaps, as a quirk. Unless the campaign involves a lot of boat or ship travel.

I'd be careful taking Enemy with those disadvantages. Criminals and evil people will have no problems absuing the law, taking hostages or claiming you're cursed to destroy you. It's almost asking for the GM to **** you over.

Kizara
2009-08-22, 07:37 PM
P128 is the standard abbreviation for GURPS Powers p128.

You can't take Motion Sickness in an era when almost all travel is on horse or foot except, perhaps, as a quirk. Unless the campaign involves a lot of boat or ship travel.

I'd be careful taking Enemy with those disadvantages. Criminals and evil people will have no problems absuing the law, taking hostages or claiming you're cursed to destroy you. It's almost asking for the GM to **** you over.

My GM has a fondness for river/sea archs in his campaign, so I feel its completely reasonable. He will of course tell me otherwise if applicable. Its not like I took space sickness. I mean, even a bumpy wagon ride counts, and travel via rivers, ferries and small coastal ships is a fairly common means of transportation. I don't feel its an unreasonable disadvantage for TL 3.

Hmm... thing is, whether I claim points for it or not, any criminal or evil-doer would SEE my character as an enemy regardless, so I'm not sure having it as an enemy is going to make it any wrose in game. I'll be sure to discuss it with my GM though, thanks for bringing up the concern. Also, playing in a setting were paladins and their order are a recognized authority (hmm, maybe I should take law enforcement powers and/or legal immunity, I never thought of that...), unsavory types could hardly claim I am cursed except to the most gullibe and ignorant.

Knaight
2009-08-22, 08:04 PM

I'm not the OP, but that sounds pretty fun to me. I GM, and one of the things my players love most is when they best a truly deadly opponent, or struggle through a very bleak situation. The opponent who sets them up, plays allies against them, takes hostages, eludes their attempts to take the offensive, and is both very smart and very resourceful is more satisfying to defeat than someone who is very good in combat, or an extremely talented debater, etc.

Even losing to them can be fun, particularly when it seems like a victory. When one successfully convinces a powerful leader of a screwed up theocracy that they are wrong, it seems like a great success. When they commit suicide because of the guilt, become a martyr, and set off a war that is what they needed to be convinced of as a bad idea anyways its a loss, and deeply ironic. It will be remembered, probably fondly.

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-08-22, 08:21 PM
I'd hate to interrupt without adding something but I mighty curious:
what is the difference between "Honesty" and "Truthfulness" (both pact, whatever that is)?

Kizara
2009-08-22, 08:31 PM
I'd hate to interrupt without adding something but I mighty curious:
what is the difference between "Honesty" and "Truthfulness" (both pact, whatever that is)?

The "(pact)" label is merely for my bookkeeping purposes, and indictates that these elements are part of my code (or 'pact' with my deity) and are used to lower the costs of some advantages I have.

As for their game meaning, I can understand your confusion! :) However, Honesty is refering to a strong desire to obey the law, while Truthfulness is a strong aversion to deceit and lying. While somewhat related, they are fairly distinct in-game. Personally, I think Honesty should be called something completely different like "Law-Abiding" as you can be very honest but not care much for techical 'laws' (hence why Truthfulness is a seperate trait).

Knaight:

Amusingly, I would not enjoy the sort of game you are describing. While I like to play against challenging and intelligent foes, I don't like chasing after dodgy and squirely ones or having to deal with a lot of interference or other nonsense.

I also don't enjoy detective or puzzle-based games for the same reason. I just couldn't care less, and you will get a "fine, my character rolls an IQ check" from me, followed by asking more intelligent NPCs for help if this fails.