PDA

View Full Version : Teeth of Dahlver-Nar/Tooth of Savnok

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 05:17 AM
From the "Simple Q&A (by RAW)" thread:

Q 20

Stupid question, but I can't find clarification. Is the movement speed limit from armour absolute, or can it be breached by things? If so, what things, i.e Haste, boots of springing and striding, etc.

Tooth of Savok, Slotless item, 2000 GP in ToM removes the penalties completely.

It's actually a Tooth of Dahlver-Nar, specifically the one linked to the vestige named Savnok (not Savok). You'll find them on pages 77-79. Note that there are significant consequences of being under the influence of this vestige, and you cannot avoid either the influence or the sign. Savnok is detailed on pages 45-47.

I wouldn't call the consequences significant...

Huh? Once you put on armor, or pick up a shield, Savnok’s influence requires you cannot take it off/put it down! Ever! Seems significant enough to me.

Except you can pull the tooth out, if you ever need to be unarmored. A restful crystal negates the issue of sleeping in armor. Unless your group roleplays needing to wash (which can be handled via Prestidigitation anyway) and waste elimination (Ring of Sustenance is also common, because people hate tracking rations) there isn't much downside.
Just my opinion, anyway.
Also, we should discuss this else where if we need to.... this isn't the place for such debate.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 05:21 AM
Pulling the tooth out isn't a simple on/off switch.
You must have a tooth of Dahlver-Nar in your mouth for one full day before you can use its ability. During that time, you show the sign of the associated vestige and are under its influence, as described in the Effect section below.
Apart from getting foul in your always-on armor, you also can't put down a shield to free up that hand.

Melamoto
2009-08-22, 06:13 AM
Get someone to pull it out

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-22, 06:31 AM
I don't think pulling it out is the issue here. It's that if you want to put it back in, you have to wait 24 hours before it takes effect again. Thus, you wouldn't want to pull it out unless you were sure you won't need it again tomorrow.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 06:36 AM
Yeah, to be able to set down your shield, you've got to have someone pull out your tooth. Then you're free to take a bath and use your shield arm for something else. And then put the tooth back in and wait a full day before you get to move at full speed in armor again.

Seems like a big hassle to me.

Jalor
2009-08-22, 07:31 AM
Wait, there are still people using sword-and-board? Get an Animated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated) shield and enjoy your two-handed Power Attacks.

Salvonus
2009-08-22, 07:49 AM
Wait, there are still people using sword-and-board? Get an Animated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated) shield and enjoy your two-handed Power Attacks.

People still play sword-and-board for stylistic reasons. :smalltongue:

THF might be mechanically superior, but it's not like sword-and-board is cripplingly bad. Frankly, I dislike the idea of every single martial character that I make running around with a two-handed weapon. Variety is fun, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with sacrificing some power for style. Optimisation, for me, is more about getting a reasonable amount of power/options from the character traits that I choose. Those traits may very well be "suboptimal" in the first place. :smallsmile:

quick_comment
2009-08-22, 09:34 AM
Get the wizard to dispel the tooth. Gives you 1d4 rounds to drop your shield and take off your armor.

ColdSepp
2009-08-22, 09:44 AM
Yeah, to be able to set down your shield, you've got to have someone pull out your tooth. Then you're free to take a bath and use your shield arm for something else. And then put the tooth back in and wait a full day before you get to move at full speed in armor again.

Seems like a big hassle to me.

I will grant you that, but Sword and Board are extremely uncommon for melee classes in my experience.

Yes, there is the 24 hour limitation on wearing, but I submit that for a bath you can do the following:

Get the wizard to use Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm)on you. It's a cantrip, and by they time you can afford a tooth and heavy armor, the wizard has no issues with it. If he does, buy an eternal wand and ask him to cast from that.

It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

Of course, your DM might rule that you aren't an item, but thats about as likely as your DM enforcing bathing rules.

If you are truly worried about needing to remove your armor, and the only reason I can think of is for RPing going some place where you can't wear armor, you can get it Glamered for a flat 2700.

Glamered

Moderate illusion; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, disguise self; Price +2,700 gp. A suit of armor with this ability appears normal. Upon command, the armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing. The armor retains all its properties (including weight) when glamered. Only a true seeing spell or similar magic reveals the true nature of the armor when disguised.

quick_comment
2009-08-22, 10:05 AM
You can also Iron heart surge the vestige's influence off.

Eloel
2009-08-22, 10:49 AM
Get the wizard to dispel the tooth. Gives you 1d4 rounds to drop your shield and take off your armor.

Or if you have a Warlock friend, make the warlock dispel it. You'll take a few damage, granted, but at least you're not making anyone waste resources.

quick_comment
2009-08-22, 12:16 PM
You could also shapechange into something without a mouth - the tooth merges and becomes nonfunctional, and you can then take off your armor and shield.