PDA

View Full Version : Artificer dilema...

Paganboy28
2009-08-22, 06:33 AM
Creating an 8th level artificer.

However, do i drop a level to 7th and use the XP i get back to craft more items?

I have so far crafted items using the Craft Reserves for each level and I don't seem to have that many items...

Am I doing this wrong????

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-22, 06:57 AM
XP Cost= 1/25th Gold Cost.

Therefore, add up every bit of your craft reserve from levels 1-8 and see if the total, multiplied by 25, is equal to or greater than your WBL.

Salt_Crow
2009-08-22, 07:00 AM
You don't really need a whole lot of magic items to play an artificer. Try not to lose a level just to use the XPs to craft something, but rather utilise Retain Essence class feature on any useless magic items you come across.

There are many tricks to reduce XP/GP costs though; but they are not truly required to play a good artificer. I've seen builds focusing more heavily on metamagic feats (to blasty-blast) which worked quite effectively.

Some examples of reducing GP costs are as follows: extraordinary artisan and skill/alignment/class restriction (custom items only)

Methods for reducing XP: legendary artisan, magical artisan, skill/alignment/class restriction (custom items only)

So, yeah. Unless you're taking all those cost-reducing feats and crafting custom items made specifically for your need (which some DMs are not happy with), it's normal for a low-level artificer to run out of craft reserve very fast.

Hijax
2009-08-22, 07:00 AM
it actually pays off to stay a level behind the party when you're an item crafter. you gain more XP for being lower level, which you can use to craft items so you stay lower level(just make sure you dont fall too much behind, since you item crafting is limited by level)

Paganboy28
2009-08-22, 07:05 AM
XP Cost= 1/25th Gold Cost.

Therefore, add up every bit of your craft reserve from levels 1-8 and see if the total, multiplied by 25, is equal to or greater than your WBL.

However this doesn't work. As each new level you get fresh Craft Reserve and also you can only construct certain items at certain levels. So at 1st level all I can really create is scrolls. I can't use the Craft Reserve from the 1st level towards a wand for example.

If only it were that easy.

EDIT: Having just spoken to the DM, I can use Retain Essence to stack my Craft Reserve! So I now have a Craft Reserve of 900 to play with. Yay!

Eloel
2009-08-22, 07:09 AM
Multiply by 12.5 then. You can always sell for half-price.

Assuming there're some useful stuff in what you create, multiplaying by 18 or something could be more in-place actually.

Paganboy28
2009-08-22, 07:27 AM
You don't really need a whole lot of magic items to play an artificer. Try not to lose a level just to use the XPs to craft something, but rather utilise Retain Essence class feature on any useless magic items you come across.

I intend to once we actually start playing. We are starting with 8th level characters so I can't have pre-drained any items.

There are many tricks to reduce XP/GP costs though; but they are not truly required to play a good artificer. I've seen builds focusing more heavily on metamagic feats (to blasty-blast) which worked quite effectively.

I have thought about this... I had originally chosen Extend Spell and Persistant Spell with the intention of having Wands of Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, etc as well as other buffy spells so that I can buff myself and others around me 24/7.

However, currently building those magic items, I can just about afford to craft 2 2nd level wands. One of which I want to be Repair Moderate Damage so that I can heal myself (even though I have also crafted a Clockwork Mender to also heal me... prepare for the swarm!). This leaves me with one buff wand which would get burned through in 7 days if I persistant spell it all the time.

It would take 40.5 hrs to then craft a new "buff" wand...

For offensiveness I have taken a CL9th wand of Magic Missile so I don't have to worry about hitting (Dex 12) and it does 5d4 + 5 damage to a single target (or I can split it). This will fit into my Wand Sheath (Warforged component) so leaving my hands free for other things and also meaning I can use it in zones of silence and such.

I could take Empower or Maximise Spell instead of Extend/Persistant to increase my offensive potential. I am not sure....

I've crafted a Circlet of Persuasion so that I can more effectively use UMD to activate magic devices.

Crafted a Bag of Holding II as a mobile workshop for my Dedicated Wright Homonculus.

I have also taken a Ring of Protection +1 and an Infinite Scroll Case.

This leaves me with just over 2000 gp and not much craft reserve.

Some examples of reducing GP costs are as follows: extraordinary artisan and skill/alignment/class restriction (custom items only)

Methods for reducing XP: legendary artisan, magical artisan, skill/alignment/class restriction (custom items only)

So, yeah. Unless you're taking all those cost-reducing feats and crafting custom items made specifically for your need (which some DMs are not happy with), it's normal for a low-level artificer to run out of craft reserve very fast.

I have taken Extraordinary and Exceptional Artisan to reduce gold cost and production time. Not sure about Legendary as I am hoping to use Retain Essence to ofset the XP cost.

Paganboy28
2009-08-22, 12:35 PM
D'oh and eureka in the same moment...

Tools of War - effectively doubles my craft reserve! mwahahahahaaaa

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-22, 12:55 PM
D'oh and eureka in the same moment...

Tools of War - effectively doubles my craft reserve! mwahahahahaaaaWhere is that and what is it? I'm starting a 1st level Artificer in a week and I'd love to get something like that.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-22, 01:03 PM
Where is that and what is it? I'm starting a 1st level Artificer in a week and I'd love to get something like that.

Races of Eberron, Warforged Artificer substitution.