PDA

View Full Version : Questing Knight (3.5 Substitution levels)

Calmar
2009-08-22, 09:47 AM
Hi.

I'd like to hear some opinions about my substitution levels for the paladin class. I know that the abilities granted by substitution levels are supposed to be equal in power to the normal ones and that these are probably more powerful than the normal paladin class features.
Since there seem to be quite a few people who think the paladin is rather weak, and because I imagine the class becomes rather boring beyond lvl 6, (getting nothing new besides spells), this maybe isn't a real problem.

So, what do you think? :smallsmile:

Qesting Knight (Paladin)

Sworn to defend the helpless against the threats from murderous beasts, the questing knight roams the land in search for foul creatures that threaten the population. Questing knights are bold pursuers of dangerous creatures of legend, but they act neither reckless, nor do they endanger the helpless when undertaking their missions.
Hit Dice: d10

Requirements
To take a questing knight substitution level, a character must be about to take her 4th, 6th, 9th, or 12th level of paladin.

Class Skills
A Questing knight adds Knowledge (arcana) to the standard paladin’s class skills.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are features of the questing knight substitution level.
Favored Enemy (Ex): A questing knight trains to fight creatures of legend and learns special tactics to defeat them. She gains dragons and magical beasts as her favored enemy type. The questing knight gains a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against her favored enemy and a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type.
This benefit replaces the standard paladin’s turn undead ability.
Shield Block (Ex): A questing knight may add her shield bonus to saves against supernatural attacks by dragons and magical beasts that allow a Reflex save.
This benefit replaces the remove disease ability that the standard paladin gains at 6th level. From this point onward, the character has one fewer weekly uses of remove disease than a normal paladin of his level does.
Resistances (Ex): At 9th level a questing knight gains resistance to acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5.
This benefit replaces the second weekly use of remove disease that the standard paladin gains at 9th level.
Divine Power (Sp): At 12th level, a questing knight can call upon divine power granted by her deity, as the spell, once per week. The caster level equals her class level.
This benefit replaces the third weekly use of remove disease that the standard paladin gains at 12th level.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Favored enemy | 0 | — | — | —
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Shield block | 1 | — | — | —
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Resistances | 1 | 0 | — | —
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Divine power | 1 | 1 | 1 | —
[/table]

Knaight
2009-08-22, 03:57 PM
Get rid of Remove Disease entirely, not just partially. Divine Power seems a bit too powerful, unless you make Lay on Hands take a hit.

Calmar
2009-08-22, 04:12 PM
Something like favored enemy +4 at lvl 15 and resistances 10 at lvl 18?

DracoDei
2009-08-22, 04:18 PM
Two favored enemies at level 4 seems a bit much... then again, it doesn't advance, so it MIGHT be OK... I would probably delay the second for a later level though.

Calmar
2009-08-22, 04:21 PM
Two favored enemies at level 4 seems a bit much... then again, it doesn't advance, so it MIGHT be OK... I would probably delay the second for a later level though.

Judging from the games I ran and played in, dragons don't appear too often, especially on the low levels. Making the paladin stronger isn't too bad, either (i hope :smallwink:).

edit: put in missing word... :smallredface:

Sir Homeslice
2009-08-23, 10:20 PM
Get rid of Remove Disease entirely, not just partially. Divine Power seems a bit too powerful, unless you make Lay on Hands take a hit.

Divine Power once per week is overpowered? At 12th level?

Calmar
2009-08-25, 01:54 PM
Divine Power once per week is overpowered? At 12th level?

No more suggestions? :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2009-08-25, 09:09 PM
Correct your spelling error for the substitution level's name and state what all gets replaced, as it's not immediately obvious from your table and description.