PDA

View Full Version : Making a greatclub actually useful

Cieyrin
2009-08-22, 01:34 PM
As two-handed martial weapons in Core D&D go, the only thing it has going for it is it's one of two bludgeoning weapons that you can two-hand and mess people up with. The problem is that the other one, the heavy flail, totally outclasses the greatclub, for the same damage, a better crit category and trip and disarm bonuses. It's a little more expensive and heavy but 2 lbs and 10 gold aren't gonna bother anybody.

My proposition is that, as essentially the greatclub is supposed to be a martial two-handed version of the simple one-handed club, we make it viable as a target for shillelagh and its relations, brambles and spikes and whatever else is out there. Also dropping the cost to nothing would be a good thing as well, as, though they illustrate the greatclub as having spikes in it, the reason it does more damage is that you're smacking somebody up side the head with a tree trunk for crying out loud.

Now, some may cry foul on running around with a +1 weapon at 1st level that does 3d8 but it's already essentially possible through the magic of mighty wallop, though only one size and you'd need to magic weapon afterwards to get close to the same effect. Plus, it only works with a weapon the caster is holding, so the druid is gonna have to use his own greatclub, anyways, so the barbarian beatstick won't be running w/ it, regardless, unless said barbarian IS the druid.

So, thoughts? Does this make wielding a small tree viable, other than the fact that you're wielding a tree for coolness points?

9mm
2009-08-22, 01:45 PM
The greatclub while also having to share this with the others also grants access to the increadably useful Three Mountains; but it's main advantage, as you pointed out is that spikes, sheligh, and whallop turn it into one nasty weapon, if you feel like use three spell slots anyway. That and the caveman appeal.

Frosty
2009-08-22, 02:43 PM
How about the Greatclub automatically bypassing 1 DR of your opponent, or ignoring 1 AC of your opponent? This is taking a page from the Tetsubos from Legends of the 5 Rings.

hotel_papa
2009-08-22, 02:56 PM
I have actually used this tactic. It was a Half-Orc that alternated between Barbarian and Druid, took the relevant substitution levels and natural bond. Between enlarge person, shillelagh, rage and a house rule that allowed you to use the size advancement for animal companions, he took out a demon worshiping cult by knocking their house down on them.

Fun character.

Cieyrin
2009-08-22, 03:10 PM
I have actually used this tactic. It was a Half-Orc that alternated between Barbarian and Druid, took the relevant substitution levels and natural bond. Between enlarge person, shillelagh, rage and a house rule that allowed you to use the size advancement for animal companions, he took out a demon worshiping cult by knocking their house down on them.

Fun character.

Remarkably, this is the character I'm playing in relation to using Greatclub shillelaghs. Possibly the only difference here is that he's dumber than a brick and going Primeval to further show that he's definitely a throwback of some sort.

@Frosty: I can't say I'm familiar with the Lot5R's RPG but I'm not seeing bypassing a single point of DR or AC really making it overly viable. DR 4/- is just as annoying as DR 5/-, which most people would just Pow through, anyways. Either that or go for Sense Weakness, I suppose.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-22, 03:14 PM
Remarkably, this is the character I'm playing in relation to using Greatclub shillelaghs. Possibly the only difference here is that he's dumber than a brick and going Primeval to further show that he's definitely a throwback of some sort.

Why not try the Force of Nature druid variant pack?

Cieyrin
2009-08-22, 03:20 PM
Why not try the Force of Nature druid variant pack?

Character already in play, unfortunately; i'd otherwise consider it.

sadi
2009-08-22, 04:08 PM
Brambles and spikes spells both work, brambles specifically states it works on a greatclub. Cast those and the heavy flail sucks in comparison.

Darrin
2009-08-22, 04:16 PM
Whenever someone mentions the greatclub, I think of this build:

Not called GREAT Club for nothing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49522)