PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Spell Resistance

Melamoto
2009-08-22, 01:43 PM
Is there any way to raise existing spell resistance? I want to play an Incantifier in an Epic level game. For those who don't know, an Incantifier is a class which works by absorbing magic, and it does this entirely using its Spell Resistance class feature, which gives it SR equal to 20+Incantifier level. This is the only spell resistance that can be used for its class features. The class can be entered at level 11/12, so it is balanced at the time. However, it is a 5 level PrC, so by Epic levels you're stopping basically nothing. Level 21, not including boosts vs SR 25? It would never work. Is there any way to raise this SR?

Kylarra
2009-08-22, 01:48 PM
Improved Spell Resistance [Epic]
Prerequisite

Must have spell resistance from a feat, class feature, or other permanent effect.
Benefit

Your spell resistance increases by +2.
Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

This less than optimal feat raises it by 2 each time.

Melamoto
2009-08-22, 01:50 PM
Damn, if that wasn't epic I might consider using it. Unfortunately, it's a level 21 game, so i can only achieve a grand total of 2 extra spell resistance.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-22, 01:53 PM
Sure thing!

First off, may I direct you to Legacy Champion, which advances class features? Do that with your Incantifier, and you've got about a 30 SR by level 20. It is what makes Hellfire Warlock broken. That should help somewhat. Then, once you do hit epic, just keep taking more levels of Incantifier for continued increase to your SR

Kylarra
2009-08-22, 02:02 PM
Then, once you do hit epic, just keep taking more levels of Incantifier for continued increase to your SR

A class with fewer than ten levels cannot progress beyond the maximum for that class, regardless of character level.

Unfortunately not.

Now in other cheesy routes...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

Bloodline levels count as class levels for determining level based things, so that could be up to another 3, unfortunately, you're already losing CLs due to incantifier, and this would be another [up to] 3 lost for a mere 3 SR.

Could also probably just ask your DM to make it a non-epic feat, +2 SR is hardly anything anyway.

Kelpstrand
2009-08-22, 02:06 PM
Also, you could use things like Awaken Spell Resistance. It increases SR, in Draconomicon.

Adumbration
2009-08-22, 02:12 PM
There's a vest in DMG II called the Daazzix's Vest (or something like that, anyway) that improves an existing spell resistance by 5.

I also vaguely recall that Draconomicon has a non-epic feat that improves SR, although it may be that it requires dragon type or something.

EDIT: Ninja'd on the feat.

Kylarra
2009-08-22, 02:17 PM
Also, you could use things like Awaken Spell Resistance. It increases SR, in Draconomicon.
Awaken Spell Resistance is a [Monstrous] feat, requires Dragon-type, and only gives you SR = to [racial] HD (ie 0), or if you have SR via racial ability, +2 to that.

So it doesn't help here unfortunately :smallfrown:

quick_comment
2009-08-22, 02:30 PM
BoVD has the feat boost SR, which gives you +2 SR.

Frosty
2009-08-22, 02:47 PM
One of the classes from the Complete Scoundrel I think called Uncanny Trickster also advances existing Class Features, so you can try that.

Failing that, homebrew an epic progression for your prc.

Melamoto
2009-08-22, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately not.

But the Legacy Warrior can progress. The problem is, the legacy warrior doesn't have FULL progression, and the Incantifier only has half spellcasting progression. Fortunately, as soon as I reach 20th level spellcasting, I can fix up the CL problems with Practised Spellcaster.

woodenbandman
2009-08-22, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately not.

Now in other cheesy routes...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

Bloodline levels count as class levels for determining level based things, so that could be up to another 3, unfortunately, you're already losing CLs due to incantifier, and this would be another [up to] 3 lost for a mere 3 SR.

Could also probably just ask your DM to make it a non-epic feat, +2 SR is hardly anything anyway.

extremely common misconception there: Bloodline levels don't advance your character level. "Class levels of "bloodline" do not increase a character's character level the way a normal class level does, but they do provide certain benefits"

You just pay the XP to advance your bloodline level, but you don't actually lose caster levels. If anything you'd be a few XP short of level 21. Taking a bloodline might actually be a good idea.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-22, 03:50 PM
BoVD has the feat boost SR, which gives you +2 SR.

4 actually.

BoED has the counterpart, but it only works if the source is Evil.

An Incarnate can get a Spell Resistance of 41 by level 20. Totemists can get Spell Resistance of 69 1/day and have it last for Con Mod in minutes.

Melamoto
2009-08-22, 03:57 PM
Not quite. BoVD Just gives +2, and BoED gives +4 against spells used by evil creatures.

peacenlove
2009-08-22, 05:28 PM
Surely unoptimized choice but why don't you play a drow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm) character? They have SR 11 + class levels, so at level 20 you will sport 31 SR. Drow is decent if the DM allows LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) from Unearthed Arcanna.

Delete that. Didn't see that only the SR gained from the class matters. Boo me :smallmad: