PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a DnD game through Skype

peacenlove
2009-08-22, 02:44 PM
Hallo all! I am preparing to run a campaign through Skype and i dare say that its my first online experience. I will be the DM.
Is there any tips that you could give me? Which are the differences from the tabletop experience? Do i need specific tools?
The good thing is that my party will be in the same room.

Lupy
2009-08-22, 03:02 PM
If they're in the same room why are you using Skype? :smallconfused:

Aron Times
2009-08-22, 03:10 PM
I think he meant the same room in Skype.:smallcool:

MapTool is a very good FREE virtual tabletop that has a wide variety of user-created campaign frameworks for automation. If you're running 4E, I recommend Veggiesama 2.1.5 as it automates most 4E functions and comes with a power macro builder, so you can access your powers with one click.

Here's the link to the RPTools website, where you can download MapTool:

http://rptools.net/doku.php

spamoo
2009-08-22, 03:24 PM
A couple of things I've learned from a game I'm playing in over skype:

1. All rolls should go in chat, not voice. Having everyone scream out their results gets incredibly confusing.

2. Make sure you are able to reliably communicate to the rest of the group outside of the game. Stuff comes up and you have to make sure your players know that.

3. Let combat be a bit more abstract than usual. It is unlikely that players will be able to see the combat map no matter what you do, so understand that players will not be able to see their position.

4. There will be times when you just have to ask "who said that?" due to people not actually being there.

5. If players are able to identify a monster OOC expect them to have it's stats and such at the ready. Make some slight adjustments to monsters in order to keep your players on their toes.

peacenlove
2009-08-22, 05:18 PM
If they're in the same room why are you using Skype? :smallconfused:

Err i meant my players will be in the same room/table in Athens while I, the DM will be in Chania :smallbiggrin:
Oh and the game will be 3.5 edition D&D, with homebrew classes and material

Thanks for your quick responses all :smallsmile:

Mr. Mud
2009-08-22, 11:40 PM
If you have Players: Jimmy, Bob, and Samantha, I suggest having them create Skypes that are someone like their actual name/Player name so you don't have something like this:

Redsoxlurver9876: ROLL = 12
CatQueen4l1f3777: ROLL = 7
UrMumzMyHero26: ROLL = 2

Whereas

Jimmy8787: 12
Samantha41414: ROLL = 7
B0B99: ROLL = 2

Is much easier to follow. Just a thought?