PDA

View Full Version : How good(optimized) is my scout? 3.5

Sharkman1231
2009-08-22, 03:03 PM
I made a lvl 12 scout, was given ~50k gold and 22 point buy. My scout is an elf with these stats along with racial modifiers & +3 to dex because of lvls. Changes from items in ()
19 (23)
10 (12)
12 (14)
I wanted positive int for more skills, I also bought +4 dex gloves, +2 wis,con. +2 mith chain shirt, +2 bukler, +2 composite shortbow (str +1) cloak of resistance +2, and just because I don't have a lot of money left and don't want to keep track of arrows, 2 quivers of Elohanna. (I seem to like the number 2),
I have 9,16,8 saves
My feats are: PBS,dodge,mobility,shot on the run,precise shot,Improved Init, far shot and improved precise shot.
My AC is 25 normally, +3 skim,+1 dodge, and +4 on AoO
So pretty good AC, not too concerned with attacking.
89 hp
50 ft movement
+12 Init :-)
So is this build pretty good?
Thanks!

woodenbandman
2009-08-22, 03:11 PM
Well for starters I'd pick up bracers of archery to get greatbow proficiency, drop the +2s on your armor and stuff, and buy more esoteric things like anklet of translocation and such. You'll feel their effects much more than a simple +2 on a list of +2s. You should also probably have a higher con.

Sharkman1231
2009-08-22, 03:23 PM
Well for starters I'd pick up bracers of archery to get greatbow proficiency

Longbow? I have longbow proficiency from being an elf.

Coidzor
2009-08-22, 03:30 PM
Greatbow, it's an exotic weapon.

Can't remember if bracers of archery grant proficiency with it though.

1d10 damage. 20/x3 crit. From complete warrior, complete adventurer, and Dragon 349 p22.

120' range, 130' if composite. Has a shared focus with longbows.

Can't be used while mounted at all, unlike composite longbows.

In other news: for 300 GP, any longbow you use can also double as a quarterstaff without penalty and you count as threatening adjacent squares even when just using it as a bow. Can also freely switch between using it as a bow or as a quarterstaff in a full-round attack sequence.

By making it Elvencraft from RotW(races of the wild, I think), p122.

In other, other news: You might consider getting weapon and armor enchantments rather than just vanilla enhancement bonuses.

can't remember offhand, but what are some good Bow Enchantments, guys? There's one that splits arrows to double the number fired, isn't there? I know there's also seeking and uhh, one that doubles the range increment... In addition to just adding more damage dice enchantments.

Hmm... 22,600 GP gets you an Energy bow(Animated Series Handbook), a +2 composite longbow which fires force arrows which deal 2d6 damage and count as force effects for purposes of damaging incorporeal creatures without miss chance and such. Can also fire normal arrows or enchanted arrows as well as the infinite force arrows.

Also let's you power attack with the bow shots.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 03:31 PM
The single biggest boost you can give a Scout is to get 10' movement with a full attack. A 1-level dip into Monk will let you train with a Sparring Dummy of the Master (30,000 gp, Arms and Equipment Guide) to get that 10' adjustment capability (and then you can sell it back for half price). Make a 10' adjustment, then unleash a full attack of arrows with skirmish damage on every one.

Wizards is down now, so I can't check for Elf sub-races that have Monk or Scout as favored classes.

Sharkman1231
2009-08-22, 03:39 PM
The single biggest boost you can give a Scout is to get 10' movement with a full attack. A 1-level dip into Monk will let you train with a Sparring Dummy of the Master (30,000 gp, Arms and Equipment Guide) to get that 10' adjustment capability (and then you can sell it back for half price). Make a 10' adjustment, then unleash a full attack of arrows with skirmish damage on every one.

My DM would almost definitly houserule that as not possible/available

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-22, 03:40 PM
Travel Devotion through Cloistered Cleric 1 gets you an easy way to move around during combat. More likely to fly with most DMs. Also, being Dragonborn with the Wings aspect and taking Flyby Attack+Greater Manyshot works.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-22, 05:34 PM
There is no such thing as a 12th level Scout. There are only 12th level Scout/Ranger Swift Hunters(CScoun, IIRC). The big advantage of this is that it leads easily into Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot). Also, why the Dodge and Mobility? Those feats are useless except for prerequisites. If you absolutely must have them, I recommend finding any of the 'counts as Dodge for the purposes of prerequisites' feats instead(Expeditious Dodge is good), snagging the Mobility armor enhancement from MIC, and using the newly opened feat slots for Imp Skirmish.