PDA

View Full Version : Permanency

Paganboy28
2009-08-22, 05:38 PM
Is there a list of all the spells that can be made permanent?

Can the various Armour and Weapon Enhancement Infusions be made permanent?

ColdSepp
2009-08-22, 05:48 PM
You can craft weapons and armor, but the infusions allow short term duplication of weapon special qualities. The only way to make them permanent is to craft the weapons.

Since you speak of infusions, I assume you are an artificer... crafting is what you do.

Sharkman1231
2009-08-22, 06:09 PM
Could you cast permenancy and make fox's cunning permanent? I know it's not on the list but that would be pretty awesome. Houserule maybe?

Saph
2009-08-22, 06:10 PM
That's basically a Headband of Intellect, +cost for slotless, -cost for being dispellable.

Lysander
2009-08-22, 11:36 PM
Here are the spells you can make permanent. But you could always houserule something else in, if you could figure out a fair xp cost. Remember that these spells can still be dispelled, and that wastes the xp you put into them:

You can make the following spells permanent in regard to yourself.
Spell Minimum Caster Level XP Cost
Arcane sight 11th 1,500 XP
Comprehend languages 9th 500 XP
Darkvision 10th 1,000 XP
Detect magic 9th 500 XP
Read magic 9th 500 XP
See invisibility 10th 1,000 XP
Tongues 11th 1,500 XP

You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell. You cannot cast these spells on other creatures. This application of permanency can be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.

In addition to personal use, permanency can be used to make the following spells permanent on yourself, another creature, or an object (as appropriate).

1. Only bonds two creatures per casting of permanency.

Enlarge person 9th 500 XP
Magic fang 9th 500 XP
Magic fang, greater 11th 1,500 XP
Reduce person 9th 500 XP
Resistance 9th 500 XP
Telepathic bond1 13th 2,500 XP

Additionally, the following spells can be cast upon objects or areas only and rendered permanent.
Alarm 9th 500 XP
Animate objects 14th 3,000 XP
Dancing lights 9th 500 XP
Ghost sound 9th 500 XP
Gust of wind 11th 1,500 XP
Invisibility 10th 1,000 XP
Mage’s private sanctum 13th 2,500 XP
Magic mouth 10th 1,000 XP
Phase door 15th 3,500 XP
Prismatic sphere 17th 4,500 XP
Prismatic wall 16th 4,000 XP
Shrink item 11th 1,500 XP
Solid fog 12th 2,000 XP
Stinking cloud 11th 1,500 XP
Symbol of death 16th 4,000 XP
Symbol of fear 14th 3,000 XP
Symbol of insanity 16th 4,000 XP
Symbol of pain 13th 2,500 XP
Symbol of persuasion 14th 3,000 XP
Symbol of sleep 16th 4,000 XP
Symbol of stunning 15th 3,500 XP
Symbol of weakness 15th 3,500 XP
Teleportation circle 17th 4,500 XP
Wall of fire 12th 2,000 XP
Wall of force 13th 2,500 XP
Web 10th 1,000 XP

Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on you) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal.

Jack_Simth
2009-08-23, 12:26 AM
Here are the spells you can make permanent. But you could always houserule something else in, if you could figure out a fair xp cost. Remember that these spells can still be dispelled, and that wastes the xp you put into them:
There's actually a very simple pattern to the XP cost and the caster level requirement:

XP = 500 xp * spell level (minimum 500 xp)
Caster Level = Spell Level + 8 (minimum caster level 9)

However, some spells are MUCH more valuable when Permanent than others. Lesser Vigor, for instance.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-23, 12:33 AM
However, some spells are MUCH more valuable when Permanent than others. Lesser Vigor, for instance.Not worth a clipped copper piece after 2 days? Dispel Magic is a relatively common tactic at higher levels if only because buffs are so important to characters. Permanancy isn't even Divine, so you can't get the various divine CL boosts to make it immune. One lucky roll and you're looking at a couple thousand XP down the drain. With the current rules, I don't see why the spell ever gets used.

PId6
2009-08-23, 12:47 AM
Not worth a clipped copper piece after 2 days? Dispel Magic is a relatively common tactic at higher levels if only because buffs are so important to characters. Permanancy isn't even Divine, so you can't get the various divine CL boosts to make it immune. One lucky roll and you're looking at a couple thousand XP down the drain. With the current rules, I don't see why the spell ever gets used.
UMD on Beads of Karma. Create Magic Tattoo. Orange Ioun Stone. There are ways to raise CL for wizard spells, though admittedly you need to be pretty high level to do it. But a Permanancied Prismatic Sphere would just be cool and awesome.

Jack_Simth
2009-08-23, 12:57 AM
Not worth a clipped copper piece after 2 days? Dispel Magic is a relatively common tactic at higher levels if only because buffs are so important to characters. Permanancy isn't even Divine, so you can't get the various divine CL boosts to make it immune. One lucky roll and you're looking at a couple thousand XP down the drain. With the current rules, I don't see why the spell ever gets used.
That's why you pick up a Ring of Counterspells, and load it with Greater Dispel Magic (for the targeted version), cast all of your actual buffs one caster level lower than your maximum, and load yourself up with Arcane Marks at your full caster level (for the area version of Dispel Magic), and a Ring of Spell Battle (for that pesky Disjunction spell)

UMD on Beads of Karma. Create Magic Tattoo. Orange Ioun Stone. There are ways to raise CL for wizard spells, though admittedly you need to be pretty high level to do it. But a Permanancied Prismatic Sphere would just be cool and awesome.
Prismatic Sphere is on the standard Permanency list.

shadzar
2009-08-23, 01:02 AM
Is there a list of all the spells that can be made permanent?

Yes. Only the DM will have it and you should ask him or her. If you are the DM, then you may choose whichever spells you want to allow permanency to work on or not within the game world.

Rixx
2009-08-23, 01:19 AM
True Strike?

:D

Aquillion
2009-08-23, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the list on the Permanency spell itself (which is what was posted above) is not complete (some spells published later say 'this spell may be made permanent by yadda yadda').

PId6
2009-08-23, 01:26 AM
True Strike?

http://www.failfunnies.com/images/2/you-have-failed-please-die.jpg

olentu
2009-08-23, 01:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the list on the Permanency spell itself (which is what was posted above) is not complete (some spells published later say 'this spell may be made permanent by yadda yadda').

This is correct as I am looking at the silvered claws spell and it says that it can be made permanent.

Edit: With a permanency spell even.

Paganboy28
2009-08-23, 06:06 AM
This is correct as I am looking at the silvered claws spell and it says that it can be made permanent.

Edit: With a permanency spell even.

Hence why I ask... I wondered if there was an updated list somewhere of all the spells possible for Permenancy without having to trawl through all the books.

Also, I assumed that because it is now Permanent that a Dispel or such would just stop it from working that turn or such, they sort of become Spell-like abilities (buffs) that are active 24/7.

If a simple Dispel could wipe the slate clean as it were, then this spell is pointless and way to expensive.

Johel
2009-08-23, 06:30 AM
That's why you pick up a Ring of Counterspells, and load it with Greater Dispel Magic (for the targeted version), cast all of your actual buffs one caster level lower than your maximum, and load yourself up with Arcane Marks at your full caster level (for the area version of Dispel Magic), and a Ring of Spell Battle (for that pesky Disjunction spell)

Jack, when I read that, I thought you had found a BIG flaw in the dispel rules.
Then I checked the Arcane Mark description :

See invisibility, true seeing, a gem of seeing, or a robe of eyes likewise allows the user to see an invisible arcane mark. A read magic spell reveals the words, if any. The mark cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed by the caster or by an erase spell.

If an arcane mark is placed on a living being, normal wear gradually causes the effect to fade in about a month.

Jack_Simth
2009-08-23, 09:38 AM
Jack, when I read that, I thought you had found a BIG flaw in the dispel rules.
Then I checked the Arcane Mark description :
Ah, drat. Guess we'll just need to use a bunch of Extended Endure Elements spells, then. Or maybe just use Dominate Person on yourself a bunch of times and never give yourself any orders. We go from 30 days to 1 day/level on the defense.

Johel
2009-08-23, 10:40 AM
It's cheesy and several "Dominate Person" can't stack...but it works.
"Charm monster" and "Lesser Geas" would also work fine, as each effect is different. So, that's 3 flares.

I wonder if "Gentle Repose" would actually work on a living person. If yes, let's cast it too !! :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2009-08-23, 11:47 AM
It's cheesy and several "Dominate Person" can't stack...but it works.
"Charm monster" and "Lesser Geas" would also work fine, as each effect is different. So, that's 3 flares.

I wonder if "Gentle Repose" would actually work on a living person. If yes, let's cast it too !! :smalltongue:
Ah, but if you check the rules on stacking:

One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant

Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. Both spells are still active, but one has rendered the other useless in some fashion. (Emphasis added)

So if you have ten Lesser Geas spells on yourself, or ten Dominate Person spells on yourself, or whatever, sure, only one of them applies... but they're all there to potentially soak up Dispelling. For what we're using them for, it's irrelevant that they don't stack.

Johel
2009-08-23, 11:56 AM
Ah, but if you check the rules on stacking:

(Emphasis added)

So if you have ten Lesser Geas spells on yourself, or ten Dominate Person spells on yourself, or whatever, sure, only one of them applies... but they're all there to potentially soak up Dispelling. For what we're using them for, it's irrelevant that they don't stack.

*Evilgasm* :smallamused:

ericgrau
2009-08-23, 01:28 PM
Quick optimization tips: The permanent spells can be dispelled, so given the cost they're not much use if you expect a lot of dispelling.

But the ability to make short duration spells permanent is quite powerful; almost like having a quickened version since it doesn't eat a combat round. Enlarge person on a friendly grappler jumps out as pretty sweet.

For long duration spells there's not much point when you can just recast it everyday, unless you tend to be away for a while. So for example alarm while miles away to deal with low level looters could work.

Then there are some that give you unlimited use of certain spells, so you can really abuse it and use it on everything you see no matter how trivial. Like detect magic. Heck, you could even find new uses for it like scouting, since it's so abundant now.

And I like the overlapping trick to stop dispel. Only thing is a targetted spell instead of an area dispel would remove about half the buffs each time. For just 1 dispel the cost of all those lost spells has got to hurt.

Johel
2009-08-23, 01:43 PM
And I like the overlapping trick to stop dispel. Only thing is a targetted spell instead of an area dispel would remove about half the buffs each time. For just 1 dispel the cost of all those lost spells has got to hurt.

That's what the ring is for. That's only one counterspell but still, how many Greater Dispel will a wizard have at his disposal. :smallsmile:

But yes, that's going to hurt if a second one is ready.

Jack_Simth
2009-08-23, 02:31 PM
That's what the ring is for. That's only one counterspell but still, how many Greater Dispel will a wizard have at his disposal. :smallsmile:

But yes, that's going to hurt if a second one is ready.

Oh, that's why you prepare Spell Turning, as well. See, Spell Turning doesn't have any clauses about not working like normal on targetted Dispels - so when the Ring of Counterspells triggers, you cast Spell Turning, and the next time the opponent tries to Dispel you, he dispells himself, instead.

Johel
2009-08-23, 02:49 PM
I bet if wars where handled "realistically" in fantasy worlds, wands of "Dispel Magic" are one of the most common magical item, right before the wands of "Fireball" and "Summon Monster", with every novice being handed one.

Still, the "Jack's Flare" tactic is worth writting down.
Gotcha create a one-level spell for this.

Mystical Flare
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 day/level

This spell does nothing but imbue the target with stagnating magical energies. Those are too dilluted to do anything specific but yet, a powerful charm hold them together.
If detect magic or similar spells are used, the spell is easy to detect and its true nature is easily revealed.
If the spellcaster is the target of a dispel, the Mystical Flare shall be targeted first, regardless of other active spells.
Mystical Flare is always cast at maximum Caster Level.

Also, if you get the gold and want to use Permanency a lot.

Ring of Spell Turning
Up to three times per day on command, this simple platinum band automatically reflects the next nine levels of spells cast at the wearer, exactly as if spell turning had been cast upon the wearer.
Strong abjuration; CL 13th; Forge Ring, spell turning; Price 98,280 gp.

Aquillion
2009-08-23, 03:13 PM
Hmm. What is needed is a permanent spell that can soak up dispels.

Explosive Runes works, but, uh, there's a little problem with failed dispels setting it off. No good.

Continual Flame has a tiny material component. It's low enough to ignore at higher levels, but still, you might want to avoid it.

Heck, even Bestow Curse can't be dispelled...

You probably can't cast Illusory Wall on yourself. More's the pity. I want to look like a giant mobile wall.

Magic Mouth costs only 10 gp per casting, so that's worth considering. Also, you could use it to make your stuff shout for help if it ever gets stolen, so it actually has a practical use. You could also use it to create alarms for when you sleep, come to think of it.

Aha! Here we go. Secret Page. No cost, lasts forever. Cast it on every page of a book, then carry the book around with you, and it'll soak up dispels.

ericgrau
2009-08-23, 03:23 PM
Unless you count the book as a separate dispel target. Not to mention targeted dispels.

Johel
2009-08-23, 03:28 PM
Aha! Here we go. Secret Page. No cost, lasts forever. Cast it on every page of a book, then carry the book around with you, and it'll soak up dispels.

About Area Dispel :
All objects and creatures in the area are affected.
The dispel stops at the first dispelled spell on each object/creature.

This means your Secret Page will soak the dispel for the book but not for yourself. You need a spell that last many days (or is permanent) and target you, not an object.

About Targetted Dispel :
One object or creature is affected.
The dispel stops only once it had tested for all spell effects on target.

EDIT : Ninja !!

Aquillion
2009-08-23, 03:37 PM
Hmm... I wonder if you could write a page of text on your own body, then make it secret...

Drakevarg
2009-08-23, 04:15 PM
The entire list o' spells you can cast Permenancy on is in the PHB, of course.

Although I think you should ask your DM to override some of the listings on the basis of Rule of Cool. For example, Symbol of Death as a tattoo.

Johel
2009-08-23, 04:31 PM
The entire list o' spells you can cast Permenancy on is in the PHB, of course.

Although I think you should ask your DM to override some of the listings on the basis of Rule of Cool. For example, Symbol of Death as a tattoo.

*Open the jacket*
"-Look at my beautiful naked body !!"
And then people die

Drakevarg
2009-08-23, 05:01 PM
I'd tattoo it on my face, myself, then wear a mask.

ericgrau
2009-08-23, 05:11 PM
(responding to symbol of death as a tattoo)

*Open the jacket*
"-Look at my beautiful naked body !!"
And then people die

The symbol of death spell description says it cannot be used offensively. And I'd find that incredibly offensive.

For that matter I doubt Xykon's symbol of insanity bouncy-ball was valid, but w/e. Artistic license.

Rixx
2009-08-23, 05:12 PM
http://www.failfunnies.com/images/2/you-have-failed-please-die.jpg

Wow, that's a bit harsh for what I was hoping was an obvious joke!

Drakevarg
2009-08-23, 05:18 PM
Well you can't use Permanency to fuse Symbol of Death to your face, either. That's why I said "have the DM override it on Rule of Cool".

And that rule, at least in the description, said you can't, say, cast it on a beanbag and whip it at someone's head (which really makes no sense, since you can cast it on the beanbag if you don't whip it at someone's head) or put it on a weapon. (Which equally makes no sense in any way apart from game mechanics.) Wearing a T-Shirt with the Symbol on it and letting people look at it isn't an offensive attack. It's the same as having it cast on a door then carrying the door around in front of you. (Except less heavy.)

Again, Rule Zero + Rule of Cool = Screw the Rules I Have Awesome.

Aquillion
2009-08-23, 05:25 PM
Wow, that's a bit harsh for what I was hoping was an obvious joke!I think PId6 was also joking; it was a comically over-the-top response.

Well you can't use Permanency to fuse Symbol of Death to your face, either. That's why I said "have the DM override it on Rule of Cool".It would be pretty overpowered, though. You're subjecting people to nasty death effects regularly unlimited times per day -- if you want that, make a magic item that does it instead.

That aside, Symbol of Death isn't the best choice because of the hit-point limit. It's better to combine several symbols, too, so you hit multiple saves at once.

Drakevarg
2009-08-23, 05:27 PM
Well you gotta be at like 17th level to do it anyway, so at that point the ability would be mostly for decimating the peasantry when you get irritated.

PId6
2009-08-23, 06:14 PM
Wow, that's a bit harsh for what I was hoping was an obvious joke!

I think PId6 was also joking; it was a comically over-the-top response.
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to be taken seriously. :smalltongue:

Rixx
2009-08-23, 06:24 PM
But seriously, guys. +20 to every attack, forever.

Or.. +20 to only the next attack you make.

Forever.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-23, 06:28 PM
But seriously, guys. +20 to every attack, forever.

Or.. +20 to only the next attack you make.

Forever.

Nah, more like the next attack you make is +20 until used before you die from now on.

Since the duration only affects how long before you make attack: permanency just gives you longer to do so.

Otherwise Persistant True Strike would be a common tactic.

Mongoose87
2009-08-23, 06:45 PM
Nah, more like the next attack you make is +20 until used before you die from now on.

Since the duration only affects how long before you make attack: permanency just gives you longer to do so.

Otherwise Persistant True Strike would be a common tactic.

Pretty certain True Strike was exactly what they had in mind when they thought of things not to let "Persist" or "Permanency."

Tokiko Mima
2009-08-24, 04:34 AM
And yet Persist Spell does almost the same thing with Wraithstrike. RAW is so darn inconsistent!