PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem in New WoD

Leliel
2009-08-22, 09:55 PM
Firstly: Eternal Darkness is a creepy little GameCube title that usually ranks very high on lists of the Scariest Video Games of All Time. It is, essentially, a mix between HP Lovecraft and Resident Evil, an action survival-horror game that never-the-less manages to convey a sense of creeping dread and overpowering evil.

The story is essestially that four alien (as in "strange" not "extraterristrial" though they certainly might be both) gods were sealed beneath the Earth by an ancient civillization. One of the four, Mantarok the Corpse God, is fine with this, as his ambitions happen to ignore humanity, but the other three-Chattur'gha, Ulyaoth, and Xel'lotath-are, well, not, given that they hate humans almost as much as each other. So, one of them, depending on the player's choice, corrupts and posesses a Roman centurion name Pious Agustus, transforming him into an undead sorcerer who acts as his/her (Chattur'gha and Ulyaoth are male, Xel'lotath female-and unlike most fiction with Evil Gods From Beyond, their gender is pretty definite) tool on Earth, manipulating events so that the world becomes so miserable that it is prepared for the Ancient's summoning.

Needless to say, it just needs supernaturals, and it's a WoD chronicle already.

My idea is that the three evil (as opposed to Mantarok's neutral) Ancients feel a kinship-and thus, more easily courrpt and tempt-the three main supernaturals: Chattur'gha as the emobodiment of bestial power and strength likes vampires, Xel'lotath as the goddess of insanity and spiritual division (split personality) enjoys werewolves, and Ulyaoth as the nearly omniscient and unfathomably arrogant Master of the Planes tolerates mages. The PCs could be the latest victims of their schemes, but were saved by Mantarok-the Tome of Eternal Darkness you're given to cast thaumaturgic magick is his creation-and ultimately, figure out what the heck is going on-persumably racking up the therapist bills in the process. As in HP Lovecraft, the Ancients and their servants can shred mortal perceptions of reality (there's a reason it's called Sanity's Requiem after all), and here, it's intentional. At least the victims are able to tell when their perceptions are skewed...or maybe that's the bad part...

So what do you think? How would you handle the game in a d10 system?

And before you ask-no, the Ancients should not be in any way related to the Abyss. If you must draw something from Atlantis, they should be Supernal, if anything.

Leliel
2009-08-23, 12:50 AM
I can tell people are interested.

JMobius
2009-08-23, 01:22 AM
My experience is that this is not the ideal forum for non-D&D related games.

While I like the idea, I'm not sure exactly how ideal nWoD by itself is for approaching Lovecraftian horror. Its sanity system is tied to its morality system, and it would require some hacking in order to achieve something more appropriate.

Leliel
2009-08-23, 01:24 AM
My experience is that this is not the ideal forum for non-D&D related games.

While I like the idea, I'm not sure exactly how ideal nWoD by itself is for approaching Lovecraftian horror. Its sanity system is tied to its morality system, and it would require some hacking in order to achieve something more appropriate.

Not nesscarily. There are temporary derangements too.