PDA

View Full Version : Spyglass without provenance

Flame of Anor
2009-08-22, 11:32 PM
Hey all,

I have an awesome brass spyglass. It has three draws, a sunshade, an image un-reverser, and little ribbed decorations, and works as well as it did the day it was made, which I figure must have been at the very least a century or more ago--perhaps two.

But I'm not just gloating, though I admit it might seem that way if you've read this far :smallamused:. I would really like to know something of the history/origin of the spyglass, but I know nothing so far. I got it on eBay and the seller didn't know much about it, and there aren't any makers' marks as far as I can see. What does the Playground suggest?

Seonor
2009-08-23, 04:28 AM
Are there any names/numbers/logos on it? Do you have a picture?

You live in Chicago. Is there a museum with a collection of binoculars or something? Or an antique shop witch specialices in this sort of things. Someone with knowledge about nautical instruments might also be able to help. If you want to do me a favor, ask at the public library (preferable the Harold Washington Library Center) and post what hapened. One of my profs visited them a few years ago and is telling how great it was every other lecture.

If you post more, I could perhaps give you more hints, but you post gives us not much to work with.

billtodamax
2009-08-23, 04:46 AM
Pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, maybe someone else could identify it off of a few pictures.

raitalin
2009-08-23, 05:16 AM
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org/spyglasses.html

Flame of Anor
2009-08-23, 09:39 AM
Busy just now, will post pics sometime in next few days probably. No ident. markings at all that I can see.