PDA

View Full Version : D&D Titans. (not MM ones.)

Mystic Muse
2009-08-23, 01:09 AM
I've been playing around with this idea in my head about the Titans. according to greek mythology they're the ones who created the Olympian gods. I was wondering if a concept like this would work in dungeons and dragons?

3.5 and/or 4th edition.

if not. is there some book that explains the origins of the gods?

Gralamin
2009-08-23, 01:13 AM
I've been playing around with this idea in my head about the Titans. according to greek mythology they're the ones who created the Olympian gods. I was wondering if a concept like this would work in dungeons and dragons?

3.5 and/or 4th edition.

if not. is there some book that explains the origins of the gods?

It could work in both.

In 3.5, you could build them as deities as per Deities and Demigods but have their builds not suck.

In 4e, they'd be represented by a deity you custom statted out.

kieza
2009-08-23, 01:31 AM
4th edition has a similar concept, in terms of beings that preceded the gods and were replaced by them. There are very powerful beings called primordials, who are more...elemental and physical, I guess, than the gods. They made the titans and giants and elementals and archons, and they did a lot of the work of creating the world. But then the gods came along and they got into a war, and in the end the gods wound up binding the primordials to the elemental chaos and themselves to the astral sea, which is why neither group interferes on the material plane directly any more.

Gralamin
2009-08-23, 01:33 AM
4th edition has a similar concept, in terms of beings that preceded the gods and were replaced by them. There are very powerful beings called primordials, who are more...elemental and physical, I guess, than the gods. They made the titans and giants and elementals and archons, and they did a lot of the work of creating the world. But then the gods came along and they got into a war, and in the end the gods wound up binding the primordials to the elemental chaos and themselves to the astral sea, which is why neither group interferes on the material plane directly any more.

The gods didn't really come and replace them. They both existed, they both made creation, Primordials decided to change it, started war, etc. They would not be equivalent to Titans.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-23, 01:33 AM
I also need to ask.

Why is Asmodeus bound to the ninth hell and how did that happen?

Gralamin
2009-08-23, 01:36 AM
I also need to ask.

Why is Asmodeus bound to the ninth hell and how did that happen?

4e: Because He Who Was bound him there with his last breath, when Asmodeus killed him and absorbed all of his power. Its explained on page 40 of DP under "He Who Was".

3.5: He's not really bound there, he is there by choice. He may also of been injured and waiting to heal. The point is, he isn't bound there strictly.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-23, 01:47 AM
thank you. my campaigns don't follow all of D&D Canon but I like following it in most places.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-23, 01:57 AM
thank you. my campaigns don't follow all of D&D Canon but I like following it in most places.There's also the Pact Primeval, which IIRC is an agreement between him and the good gods that he would imprison all the evil souls for them, but I don't know the specifics.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-23, 01:59 AM
yeah that's currently an important part of one of my campaigns. Although the players don't know that yet.

Eldan
2009-08-23, 04:51 AM
Note: in Planescape, which is AD&D bust technically still legal, the greek titans are bound in Carceri, plane of prisons. Well, there's also Epimetheus, wandering around in Elysium, but he doesn't really count.

Amiel
2009-08-23, 05:01 AM
You can build the base titan creature a la the abominations of ELH.
And give them divine ranks or cosmic ranks on top of class levels or increased HD, depending on your cosmology.

A major portion of the D&D cosmology is based on Greek mythology, so it should work.