PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Balance of Rechargeable Powers

Random NPC
2009-08-23, 01:43 AM
Was wondering how unbalanced would it be if I gave a monster a class template but with rechargeable 6 encounter powers or utilities.

I found myself wondering if I should do that to this 5th level boss with a Warlord template

HMS Invincible
2009-08-23, 03:32 AM
Just imagine a homemade creature that has the damage output/status effects of each encounter power as at will. That is what you have.

Sir Homeslice
2009-08-23, 03:38 AM
Just imagine a homemade creature that has the damage output/status effects of each encounter power as at will. That is what you have.

Only if he rolls nothing but sixes on recharge 6.

Random NPC: Do it. Do iiiiiiit.

Mando Knight
2009-08-23, 09:02 AM
If it's just the one encounter power, and it's a recharge 6, and the power is normally an encounter power for PCs, I think it'll be fine. I say just the one encounter power because from running a dragon that had two recharge powers, it gets to be more of a hassle to distinguish which power recharged or not. If the power is normally a daily power but becomes an encounter power for a monster, then you run into trouble when you have it recharge, as it suddenly gets used twice or more during the encounter, potentially killing off characters you shouldn't have.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-23, 09:11 AM
If it's just the one encounter power, and it's a recharge 6, and the power is normally an encounter power for PCs, I think it'll be fine. I say just the one encounter power because from running a dragon that had two recharge powers, it gets to be more of a hassle to distinguish which power recharged or not. If the power is normally a daily power but becomes an encounter power for a monster, then you run into trouble when you have it recharge, as it suddenly gets used twice or more during the encounter, potentially killing off characters you shouldn't have.

Just use different coloured dice. I generally allow Dailies or equivalent powers to be recharged when bloodied, if at all.