PDA

View Full Version : Creating stuff

Paganboy28
2009-08-23, 02:19 PM
I have a question about creating magic items in DnD 3.5.

Do you need a workshop and all that sort of thing?

Even for a simple wand, what exactly do you need apart from the spell? Can you use a branch from a tree or such?

My reason for asking is that I am playing an Artificer currently and I have this feeling that I am going to find that creating magic items is something that is going to be a hinderance rather than a boon. I like the idea of the class but if I am going to require special gear to create these items then the only time I am realistically going to be in a position to create them is in a big city or such where materials are available.

As such this is going to limit what exactly I can craft, especially if we don't have downtime sufficient to craft a decent amount of gear.

dragonfan6490
2009-08-23, 02:49 PM
DM's rule, but I don't think you need a workshop to craft items by RAW.

Johel
2009-08-23, 02:55 PM
Rules about crafting magical items only cover the "crunch" part.
If you want some "fluff", concider that you have to get material components and given the price of magical items, said components are probably rare and/or exotic.

A worshop or laboratory, even if the rules don't say so, is probably a necessity, since your going to play with forces far above your usual daily spellcasting. Ask your DM about it.

Also, remember : magical items take about 1 day for each 1.000 gp. So we are talking about anything between a day and a year of work.

Paganboy28
2009-08-23, 03:08 PM
Rules about crafting magical items only cover the "crunch" part.
If you want some "fluff", concider that you have to get material components and given the price of magical items, said components are probably rare and/or exotic.

A worshop or laboratory, even if the rules don't say so, is probably a necessity, since your going to play with forces far above your usual daily spellcasting. Ask your DM about it.

Also, remember : magical items take about 1 day for each 1.000 gp. So we are talking about anything between a day and a year of work.

Yeh this is what has been niggling in the back of my mind... As an Artificer a big part (from what I understand) is being able to craft stuff. Unfortunately being able to craft stuff takes a lot of time which is going to hold the rest of the party up... none of the others in the group require as much downtime as we have a party of the following:

Marrusault
Rogue/Swashbuckler
Cleric

Maybe I need to rethink my character completely from the ground up...

What makes a good blaster class (with a bit of utility)? Wizard/Sorcerer is the obvious choice I guess, though I will have to get Silent Spell as I am fed up with Zones of Silence....

I guess I could go back to the Archivist idea though that would be stepping on the Cleric's toes and the Druid idea is messy and complicated with Wild Shaping and such.

I have read about the Deathless ("good" versions of Undead). I guess I could play one of those and go the Dread Necromancer route as they seem to be a good class (unless someone corrects me).

I could be a warmage (at the expense of utility) seeing as the party lacks blasteriness.

What's a Beguiler like as a class?

bosssmiley
2009-08-23, 03:27 PM
I have a question about creating magic items in DnD 3.5.

Do you need a workshop and all that sort of thing?

Even for a simple wand, what exactly do you need apart from the spell? Can you use a branch from a tree or such?

By the RAW: no.
If you want to be thematically appropriate: then yes (consult your DM on this).

"You think imbuing the forces of arcane power into inanimate matter is simple? It requires rare and exotic mystic reagents; rigorous mental discipline; the correct ceremonies flawlessly executed under the influence of subtle portents and favourable auspices; and, above all, seclusion from the sort of shaven chimp who considers a sword the answer to all life's problems! There's a reason these 'magic boom sticks' cost thousands of GP you know." :smallwink:

As for playing an Artificer who does all this without a lab. You could just claim he McGyvers up his magical effects in the kind of slipshod "She'll be right mate" fashion that gives traditional arcane casters conniptions.

"So, did you decant the infusion into a thrice-blessed demijohn of glass formed in the fire of a dragon under the new moon?"
"No mate. Used an old milk bottle..."

Johel
2009-08-23, 03:32 PM
As a wizard, you get flexibility (well... at least, you KNOW a lot of spells) and you can still craft magical items once you hit the 5th level.

A silent spell is only 1 level higher so, by the time you really need it, you can already create wands, though it's expansive, time-consuming and costs XP