PDA

View Full Version : Any great PC RPGS?

Heroic
2009-08-23, 03:03 PM
Well, a while ago I bought a computer which, I must say, is AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:
There's no need to take into account system requirements because recently I've played Fallout 3, Oblivion and Fable TLC all at Ultra High Quality and now I want to know what are your opinions of the best PC RPG games for me to buy.
Apart from these games, I'm also gonna buy the Witcher Enhanced Edition maybe tomorrow.

So any thoughts?
What are the best RPGS?
I might also consider RTS, strategy, FPS and action games.

Sneak
2009-08-23, 03:11 PM
Well, a while ago I bought a computer which, I must say, is AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:
There's no need to take into account system requirements because recently I've played Fallout 3, Oblivion and Fable TLC all at Ultra High Quality and now I want to know what are your opinions of the best PC RPG games for me to buy.
Apart from these games, I'm also gonna buy the Witcher Enhanced Edition maybe tomorrow.

So any thoughts?
What are the best RPGS?
I might also consider RTS, strategy, FPS and action games.

Hmm.

I consider Neverwinter Nights (the original) to be the best CRPG ever—not because of the campaigns that it comes with, but because of the great online community and downloadable content. Also, since you have a PC, you can even create your own stuff with the toolset.

On the other hand, it's fairly old compared to the stuff on your list, and a lot heavier in terms of RPG aspects. The RPGs you have on your list would be what I would consider more to be modern "adventure" type games, while I would consider NWN a real CRPG.

For RTS, strategy, FPS and action games...well, I guess I'm going to have to plug Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Seriously, it's one of my favorite games of all time, and it contains all of these gaming elements in it. Plus it's hilarious.

It is pretty old too, though, but the graphics are still pretty good, especially for the time.

I can't really be of too much help to you, though, because I own a Mac, and...well...yeah. :smalltongue:

Anteros
2009-08-23, 03:27 PM
At the very least, download the free trial for WoW. You probably won't be dissapointed.

As far as other RPGs, the KoToR games play great on PC if you haven't already played them on the xbox...not much else comes to mind honestly...but I'm not a big fan of playing games on the PC instead of a console.

Dogmantra
2009-08-23, 03:30 PM
Morrowind.
Get Morrowind.
That is all.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-23, 03:38 PM
My favourite PC RPG's are probably Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout 3 with mods.

As the poster above me says, if you've not played Morrowind it is well worth picking up. Morrowind is just much, much better than Oblivion because of Nostalgia Goggles.

Cespenar
2009-08-23, 03:44 PM
Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2. I would have said /thread now if I didn't despise that word.

Zevox
2009-08-23, 03:46 PM
Both Knights of the Old Republic games are great RPGs, though 1 is probably better than 2.

I hear Mass Effect is good, and it's a PC game besides just being a 360 game. Can't vouch for it from experience, though - my computer could barely handle it at all, so I haven't bought it for PC, and I don't have enough incentive to get a 360 yet.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is also good if you're into D&D, particularly with its expansion, Mask of the Betrayer.

For strategy games, I'd recommend the Total War series, specifically Rome: Total War and Medieval 2: Total War. The most recent game of the series, Empire: Total War, is also good, but battles get pretty monotonous, as a result of the kind of warfare that went on in the era it is set in.

Zevox

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-23, 03:54 PM
Morrowind.
Get Morrowind.
That is all.

This. Plus, with the amount of mods for Morrowind, it can be just as pretty and about 10x longer. There are some mods that add hundreds of quests.

Dark Faun
2009-08-23, 04:02 PM
I second Neverwinter Nights, though I'll advise not to expect much from the AI. Some glitches are also cringe-worthy, such as the one that prevents the party selection of the original campaign to work (thus blocking your progression) once you installed the second expansion (Storm of Zehir). So I'd advise to finish the original campaign and Mask of the Betrayer before installing the Storm of Zehir. :smalltongue:

As for Morrowind VS Oblivion, the former seems a little more original than the latter, if only because it's not generic European fantasy.

Planescape Torment is a must, though it might be old enough to be very hard to find.

Icewind Dale appears to be like Baldur's Gate II too, but they don't have NPCs joining your team (you make it from the get-go) so it might be less interesting.

Baldur's Gate II has mods allowing you to play with enhanced graphics (from Icewind Dale) as well as to play Baldur's Gate number one with the II graphics and gameplay. (It was fun to play a Miko Miyazaki "Slash! Slash! Slash! Slash! Slash!" paladin. :smallbiggrin:)

Mando Knight
2009-08-23, 04:02 PM
For RTS, you have to get Age of Empires II. It's the law. :smalltongue:

If you truly have an awesome computer, you might be able to run Crysis. Regardless, you should get Republic Commando. And the Dark Forces series, especially Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

Almost anything and everything by Sid Meier is up for purchase as "an awesome strategy game." Like Civilization. Or Alpha Centauri.

Rustic Dude
2009-08-23, 04:04 PM
Take the classics. They trash almost all RPG nowadays.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

Planescape Torment.

Arcanum.

Fallout 1 & 2.

And for less talk and more hack, Icewind Dale 1 & 2.

Inhuman Bot
2009-08-23, 04:06 PM
Fallout. (http://http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout)
Fallout 2. (http://http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout_2)Fallout tactics. But not really. (http://http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout_tactics)

Unless you've metaphorically been living under a metaphorical rock, you'll know about warcraft 3 (http://http://www.blizzard.com/us/war3x/) and Starcraft 1. (http://http://www.blizzard.com/us/broodwar/)

There's no need to take into account system requirements because recently I've played Fallout 3, Oblivion and Fable TLC all at Ultra High Quality.

Bit of a dropoff between 2 and 3, eh? :smalltongue:

Also, I personally dislike The witcher, and I recall it being rather buggy.

Also, as suggested, The Baldur's gate and Neverwinter nights series are gold, along with Planescape: Torment, though that last one is more of a visual novel. A really, really good novel.

Also, another suggestion for Giant. (http://http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/giants_citizen_kabuto), and a large one for Sacrifice (http://http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice), in all it's childhood scarring awesome.

Anteros
2009-08-23, 04:12 PM
I'd like to warn the topic creator here that a lot of the games being recommended here are famous for their "nostalgia value." It's not that they aren't good games...because they certainly are...but they may not be what you're expecting.

I'd recommend trying to find a free version or trial of these games online before buying them...or at least watching a youtube video or two.

Heroic
2009-08-23, 04:12 PM
OK thanks guys for the quick responses :smallbiggrin:

I must add on my list in the first post that I have already played (and own) both KotoR games and that I'm also interested in more heavy RPG games (like the ones mentioned by Sneak)

Thanks guys!

Keep posting awesome games :smalltongue:

Mx.Silver
2009-08-23, 05:51 PM
Take the classics. They trash almost all RPG nowadays.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

Planescape Torment.

Arcanum.

Fallout 1 & 2.

And for less talk and more hack, Icewind Dale 1 & 2.

This. And I would argue very much against NWN 1. The single-player is quite frankly shameful so unless you have a lot of friends who like it then I'd advise leaving it.

Nano
2009-08-23, 05:53 PM
Yeah, multiplayer is where it's at in NwN, if you're the RP sort. Otherwise, it's really rather bland. (I don't think 'exceptionally bland' works.)

Sneak
2009-08-23, 06:03 PM
This. And I would argue very much against NWN 1. The single-player is quite frankly shameful so unless you have a lot of friends who like it then I'd advise leaving it.

Yes, the original single player campaigns are terrible. The fan made modules, however, are often fantastic.

NWVault. (http://nwvault.ign.com/)

Mx.Silver
2009-08-23, 06:19 PM
Yes, the original single player campaigns are terrible. The fan made modules, however, are often fantastic.

If you need to download fan content to get an interesting experience, then the game has failed in its intended purpose. Yes, I could spend my money on this game and its expansions and then spend hours downloading and installing a crapload of fan modules - and the haks said modules need - assuming I'm actually able to expand the files without having to buy an app to do that. Alternatively, I could just buy a game that's good and spend the hours I'd have spent with the aforementioned downloading and installation crap actually, y'know, playing it.

Blayze
2009-08-23, 06:28 PM
Planescape: Torment. It's just... play it. You have to.

Heroic
2009-08-23, 06:34 PM
Mr.Silver does have a point.

I think that, originally, you should be able to have fun with a game the way the developers hand it in to you; and fanbase is to enrichen the experience.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the tips on those games :smallwink:

Sneak
2009-08-23, 06:36 PM
If you need to download fan content to get an interesting experience, then the game has failed in its intended purpose.

That's assuming that the success of the single player campaign was the intended purpose.

Yes, I could spend my money on this game and its expansions and then spend hours downloading and installing a crapload of fan modules - and the haks said modules need - assuming I'm actually able to expand the files without having to buy an app to do that. Alternatively, I could just buy a game that's good and spend the hours I'd have spent with the aforementioned downloading and installation crap actually, y'know, playing it.

1. Downloading and installing mods takes very little time.
2. You only have to pay to expand files if you're very, very stupid and are unable to find one of the billions of free expansion apps.
3. Because of the online community, NWN has almost infinite replayability. I use that word loosely, because you're not actually playing the same game.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, and I'm not trying to force you to like it, but you can't write it off as a piece of crap just because the single player campaign sucks. It's really more of a vehicle for fan-made content (and professional content that's free). It's like buying the stuff you need to play DnD—by itself, it's useless, but it enables you to have fun.

Flickerdart
2009-08-23, 06:39 PM
NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Play this before (or instead) of the main campaign or Storm of Zehir. Those are nowhere near as good. Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, of course. Jade Empire is a pretty excellent action RPG. NWN1 isn't so hot but Hordes of the Underdark, its second expansion, is great. Mount & Blade is fun, but also action RPG.

Empire: Total War is an excellent strategy game.

Rustic Dude
2009-08-23, 06:48 PM
NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Play this before (or instead) of the main campaign or Storm of Zehir. Those are nowhere near as good. Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, of course. Jade Empire is a pretty excellent action RPG. NWN1 isn't so hot but Hordes of the Underdark, its second expansion, is great. Mount & Blade is fun, but also action RPG.

Empire: Total War is an excellent strategy game.

I don't think Jade Empire and Mount & Blade should be in the same category....you know, only because you can gain levels and have atributes, it isn't a RPG.

(Jade Empire, I forgot to mention it. With the Kotors, for me, the best "new" generation RPGs. Yeah, I don't like too much Mass Effect)

chiasaur11
2009-08-23, 07:03 PM
Deus Ex.

It is a great PC everything.

Heroic
2009-08-23, 07:15 PM
OK, so the suggested games up to now are:

Neverwinter Nights
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Wow
Kotor 1 & 2 (already played them)
Morrowind
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Age of Empires II (already played it, and it is the law) :smalltongue:
Crysis
Republic Commando
Dark Forces(Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy)
Civilization
Alpha Centauri
Arcanum.
Fallout 1 & 2.
Icewind Dale 1 & 2.
Deus Ex

I'm really attracted by Crysis (which I will install), the Dark forces series and Baldur's Gate 2.

king.com
2009-08-23, 08:21 PM
Also Baldur's gate 1? I loved it plus theres a mod letting you run it in the baldurs gate 2 toolset with all the extra items/classes.

The Mechwarrior series, 3 being my favourite are awesome, along with Mechcommander 1 and 2.

You might also like (if you like turnbased combat) the Heroes of Might and Magic series, along with Kings Bounty.

As for RTS? Go for Starcraft, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Dawn of War (if you like the 40K universe). Also try out Dungeon Keeper.

Mx.Silver
2009-08-23, 08:29 PM
That's assuming that the success of the single player campaign was the intended purpose.

Given that it was made by the people who made Baldur's Gate; advertised as a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series and is an RPG (a genre where single player has always been a very important focus, particularly when storyline's are taken into account) one could be forgiven for expecting at least a decent amount of effort would be spent on the single-player element.
If it had been advertised as a 'build-you own rpg' application - which you are arguing is what it works best at - and with the OC serving more as a demo then yes, you might have a point. It wasn't though, it was presented as a complete game with a detailed single-player campaign. Which it lacked.

1. Downloading and installing mods takes very little time.
If you have a very fast connection and stick to the smaller mods yes. Not everyone does, and if a mod requires or recomends using a hakpack (such as the CEP, which is huge) then you're not so lucky. Even if it is a short while though, it is still time you could otherwise be spending playing a game which has good 'out of the box' content.

2. You only have to pay to expand files if you're very, very stupid and are unable to find one of the billions of free expansion apps.
The fact that winrar's still in business suggests that someone's buying it (even if that isn't me).

3. Because of the online community, NWN has almost infinite replayability. I use that word loosely, because you're not actually playing the same game.

There's quite a few games out there that offer excellent replayability as part of their core game. A number of them have active modding communities too.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, and I'm not trying to force you to like it, but you can't write it off as a piece of crap just because the single player campaign sucks.
If it's any consolation, I also find the interface irritating and think that the lack of a proper party system makes for much less interesting gameplay as it removes most of the more advanced tactical elements from combat that the BG series had and NWN2 reinstated. And yes, the game itself is fairly medoicre. The fan content has lots of good stuff, but that's and addition to the game, not the game itself.
I do actually own NWN, so I do know a lot of the fan mods are decent through first hand experience. I do still regret purchasing it instead of something that was better out of the box though, which is why I'm suggesting it should be on Heroic's 'must-have' list, as there are other better games which really deserve to be acquired first.

It's really more of a vehicle for fan-made content
Amateur work which you're paying the price of a proffessionally made game for. Again, there are plenty of mods which are pretty. They aren't however as good as, say, BG2 which is perfectly understandable as they aren't being paid to produce the things and so they can be fairly compared.

It's like buying the stuff you need to play DnD—by itself, it's useless, but it enables you to have fun.
Minor point, but this isn't a good analogy. The reason why the rulebooks and dice are useless on their own is because you need people to play with them; in much the same way that a gaming console is useless without games to play on it.
A much better analogy would be buying bad films with the intention of getting rifftracks (http://www.rifftrax.com/) for them.

Sneak
2009-08-23, 09:17 PM
Alright.

All I can say is that I enjoy it and have played mods that I consider to be more enjoyable than BGII (example: Almraiven is absolutely fantastic, and while I haven't played much of its sequel, Shadewood, I've heard it's great as well).

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks so, as although I did enjoy BGII, I don't think it quite deserves all the praise it gets.

But I can only give recommendations based on my own personal tastes, and as I think NWN is a great purchase, I'm recommending it to the OP as well. You don't have to agree—clearly, we have different tastes.

Kizara
2009-08-23, 09:30 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119898) for more ideas.

HCL
2009-08-23, 09:50 PM
Havent seen anyone mention Daggerfall, so I will. Its free and by far the biggest game in the elder scrolls series

Rutskarn
2009-08-23, 10:02 PM
Hmm.

I consider Neverwinter Nights (the original) to be the best CRPG ever—not because of the campaigns that it comes with, but because of the great online community and downloadable content. Also, since you have a PC, you can even create your own stuff with the toolset.

On the other hand, it's fairly old compared to the stuff on your list, and a lot heavier in terms of RPG aspects. The RPGs you have on your list would be what I would consider more to be modern "adventure" type games, while I would consider NWN a real CRPG.

I dunno if I'm alone on this one, but I thought the first NWN was a complete piece of arse. The NPC compatriots were frustrating, the plot was uninspiring, and the gameplay was unspeakable.

I suffered through it, and bought the sequel (which I refer to as the best worst game ever, meaning it does some things exceptionally well and some things unbelievably terribly), but I can't say I'd recommend it.

If you're going real old school, hard to go wrong with the isometric Fallout/Baldur's Gate games. If you want something a little more recent...well, you've played all my current top RPG picks, so I guess that's the end of it.

EDIT: As far as Daggerfall goes, I couldn't get into it. It's large, I'll grant you that, but it's pretty much uniform and generic throughout. I can see why one would like it anyway, but it wasn't my speed.

Sneak
2009-08-23, 10:09 PM
I dunno if I'm alone on this one, but I thought the first NWN was a complete piece of arse. The NPC compatriots were frustrating, the plot was uninspiring, and the gameplay was unspeakable.

I suffered through it, and bought the sequel (which I refer to as the best worst game ever, meaning it does some things exceptionally well and some things unbelievably terribly), but I can't say I'd recommend it.

If you're going real old school, hard to go wrong with the isometric Fallout/Baldur's Gate games. If you want something a little more recent...well, you've played all my current top RPG picks, so I guess that's the end of it.

EDIT: As far as Daggerfall goes, I couldn't get into it. It's large, I'll grant you that, but it's pretty much uniform and generic throughout. I can see why one would like it anyway, but it wasn't my speed.

See the end of the last page for my views (and Mr. Silver's views) on the topic of NWN. :smalltongue:

Fallout and Fallout 2 are also good.

The original Baldur's Gate isn't too great, actually. If you want to play it, it's probably just better to get BGII and BGTutu.

chiasaur11
2009-08-23, 10:10 PM

Of course, you'd endorse Deus Ex, right?

I mean, the alternative is absurd.

Rutskarn
2009-08-23, 10:27 PM
Of course, you'd endorse Deus Ex, right?

I mean, the alternative is absurd.

Oh, Deus Ex is a supafly game. I've played it at least 5 times, the last 4 in a nonlethal capacity.

chiasaur11
2009-08-23, 10:29 PM
Oh, Deus Ex is a supafly game. I've played it at least 5 times, the last 4 in a nonlethal capacity.

So far, I've iced just one guy, a MJ-12 commando, before I knew he was a meatbag.

And he was killing civvies. And my cattleprod was empty.

And, most importantly, if I didn't the cops would find out about that convenience store robbery.

KilltheToy
2009-08-24, 12:14 AM

Rutskarn? Not killing people for the sheer joy of it? Perish the thought!

I personally reccomend Starcraft (the game that got me addicted to PC gaming and made me what I am today :smallcool:), Warcraft 3 (Playing custom maps over battle.net was the source of many a wasted weekend) and if you're familiar with Warhammer 40k, Dawn of War. All of them but Soulstorm. Trust me, you can live with out Dark Eldar.

Kizara
2009-08-24, 01:27 AM
Rutskarn? Not killing people for the sheer joy of it? Perish the thought!

I personally reccomend Starcraft (the game that got me addicted to PC gaming and made me what I am today :smallcool:), Warcraft 3 (Playing custom maps over battle.net was the source of many a wasted weekend) and if you're familiar with Warhammer 40k, Dawn of War. All of them but Soulstorm. Trust me, you can live with out Dark Eldar.

Soulstorm has redeeming qualities...

Its more balanced then Dark Crusade (if you don't use the faction special abilities, then its bollucks).

Its much more challenging. No longer is 90% of the game a cakewalk on hard once you get a decent skill level in it.

The new factions are interesting and not unbalanced. I know I got pretty far with Sister's of Battle before my attention moved to other games (well lets be honest, back to more DotA...).

HOWEVER....

Unbelievably long loading times compared to previous games. This is only due to highly inefficent coding. The game works just fine once you are actually in the map, but waiting for that is sometimes excruciating.

You don't have anything CLOSE to the amount of roleplaying content from the factions, nor are their leaders as fleshed-out as the first game. There are a few scripted dialoge parts for hitting the faction's HQ, but more are missing then not, and even fewer have voice-acting for them. This is a shame, as it easily could've given a huge amount more polish to the game.

Also, the plotline/backdrop makes less sense then the Dark Crusade one, but that's not really a major issue, since I doubt too many here were playing for the deep, evocative and interesting story of "bad warp comes, we all fight now!".

Avilan the Grey
2009-08-24, 01:36 AM
There are also great news on the horizon: Hopefully a future classic: Dragon Age, is released in October. Go get! I will!

(Othewise I agree with everything said and recommended above.).

Kiren
2009-08-24, 01:43 AM
Jade empire is a good rpg, thats all I can think of right now.

potatocubed
2009-08-24, 02:57 AM
I second most of what everyone's said already. I'm also holding out hope for Dragon Age: Origins in a few months.

On the subject of NWN... you might as well pick it up, since I bet you can get the original plus both expansions for a handful of beans these days. Then play Hordes of the Underdark and as much fan content as you can download.

Do not get NWN2 unless you can find it super-cheap. It's basically all the bad bits of NWN1, with only a tiny fraction of the fan-made content to make up for it.

factotum
2009-08-24, 03:29 AM
No-one mentioned Arx Fatalis yet? Cool RPG with an interesting magic system (although it can be a pain to draw all those symbols using a mouse!). For things that AREN'T RPGs, I can't recommend Painkiller and Galactic Civilizations II highly enough.

Avilan the Grey
2009-08-24, 04:20 AM
Do not get NWN2 unless you can find it super-cheap. It's basically all the bad bits of NWN1, with only a tiny fraction of the fan-made content to make up for it.

In all fairness I think the story of the official campaign is better; the one in NWN was seemingly slapped together in an afternoon.
The story in NWN2 is in no way the pinnacle storytelling, but it is better.

Oh and if you can get it to run, and the bugs don't kill the game for you, try Arcanum.

Nice_Hat
2009-08-24, 08:51 AM
Daggerfall is definitely worth the "price". There are also plenty of good indie RPGs around, especially old school. Most of them are shareware so you know what you're buying.

Morty
2009-08-24, 08:58 AM
No-one mentioned Arx Fatalis yet? Cool RPG with an interesting magic system (although it can be a pain to draw all those symbols using a mouse!).

Though I agree that magic system in Arx Fatalis is interesting, I found the rest of the game mediocere and quite boring.
All the RPGs I'd recommend have been recommended already. I'd suggest Witcher, but you said you're going to buy it anyway.

Heroic
2009-08-24, 12:56 PM
See the end of the last page for my views (and Mr. Silver's views) on the topic of NWN. :smalltongue:

Judging by teh size of that discussion, I'm sure you can't miss it :smalltongue:

Anyway thanks for the tips and yes, I'll buy the Witcher tomorrow and maybe some other game, so I'll have to decide.
Ummm, tough one :smallamused:

Miss Nobody
2009-08-24, 01:50 PM
Some of these have been mentioned before, but here's a list of recommendations :

RPG :
Baldur's Gate 1+2+expansion
Planescape : Torment
Fallout 1, 2 and 3
Arcanum
Neverwinter Nights 1 + Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer
The Elder Scrolls 2 : Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls 3 : Morrowind + expansions
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
The Witcher

Action RPG/Hack and Slash/less talky, more killey games
Diablo
Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction
Titan Quest + Immortal Throne
Sacred

RTS and TBS :
Starcraft
Warcraft series
Company of Heroes + expansions
Warhammer 40.000 Dawn Of War + Winter Assault + Dark Crusade
Heroes of Might and Magic series (especially HOMM 3)
Disciples series

FPS :
Call of Duty series
Medal of Honor
FEAR
Unreal Tournament
Battlefield series
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Operation Flashpoint
ARMA : Armed Assault
Clive Barker's Undying

Games that combine genres :
Deus ex
Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth
Overlord

Triaxx
2009-08-24, 01:55 PM
If you like Icewind Dale, you'll probably like Fallout Tactics. Try both Sacred, and Sacred 2.

Star Wars: Galactic Battleground is a good one, more like a mod to AOE2 than anything, but still tons of fun. Grab the saga version for more fun. And don't forget Freelancer.

Heroic
2009-08-25, 06:01 PM
Hey that's a huuuge list, thanks :smallbiggrin:

Rayzin
2009-08-25, 09:51 PM
Vampire; the masquerade Bloodlines is a game you must play :o. I cannot believe it has not been mentioned.

Heroic
2009-08-25, 10:08 PM
Vampire; the masquerade Bloodlines is a game you must play :o. I cannot believe it has not been mentioned.

Oohh I've heard about that game, and I believe its really good.

Tyracus
2009-08-25, 10:29 PM

It's got it's moments when it can be really buggy but there are fan patches out there which do a good job of keeping the spirit of the game, re-balancing a few iffy bits, and also unlocking the optional background modifications (be careful there, last I heard it opened a memory leak in the char gen process which could crash out your game if you opened too many). If you were going to do the fan patch just browse a few forums related to the game and you should fine some helpful threads. Overall it was fun even if the Kuei-Jin boss at the end was a real pain (really REALLY shoulda had higher melee for the agg damage sword, auto shotgun doesn't work too well and I missed the spawn she dropped so I was fighting two). Just note that zombies really stick to the damage resistance. Unload an assault rifle into their torso and they'll go down... eventually, but a .38 or a single rifle round to the head is a better bet.

UnChosenOne
2009-08-26, 12:43 AM
I think that you should to get: Thief gold/The dark project, Thief the Metal age and Thief deadly shadows. They are of 1st person sneaker's with good gameplay (exelent in gemeplay in 1st and 2nd one) with interesting story line.

Rayzin
2009-08-26, 01:08 AM
It's got it's moments when it can be really buggy but there are fan patches out there which do a good job of keeping the spirit of the game, re-balancing a few iffy bits, and also unlocking the optional background modifications (be careful there, last I heard it opened a memory leak in the char gen process which could crash out your game if you opened too many). If you were going to do the fan patch just browse a few forums related to the game and you should fine some helpful threads. Overall it was fun even if the Kuei-Jin boss at the end was a real pain (really REALLY shoulda had higher melee for the agg damage sword, auto shotgun doesn't work too well and I missed the spawn she dropped so I was fighting two). Just note that zombies really stick to the damage resistance. Unload an assault rifle into their torso and they'll go down... eventually, but a .38 or a single rifle round to the head is a better bet.

I found the easiest way to defeat that boss is play a gangrel with full protean
and fortitude. The claws take down her health really fast and she can barely hurt you. You can ignore the split offs and focus on the main one after you rip off all the tentacles.
Off topic but yeah... As i remember the games cheap, i got it off steam as a download for really cheap in a promotion or something.

factotum
2009-08-26, 01:28 AM
I think that you should to get: Thief gold/The dark project, Thief the Metal age and Thief deadly shadows. They are of 1st person sneaker's with good gameplay (exelent in gemeplay in 1st and 2nd one) with interesting story line.

And, fabulous as they are, are not even remotely RPG-like. If the title of the thread were "Any great PC games ever in any genre?" then they'd belong here.

Heroic
2009-08-26, 09:24 PM
And, fabulous as they are, are not even remotely RPG-like. If the title of the thread were "Any great PC games ever in any genre?" then they'd belong here.

You're right, although I could be looking into other genre too; depending on which one.
And thus comes the question, what genre are those games?

pcamp88
2009-08-26, 09:43 PM
You're right, although I could be looking into other genre too; depending on which one.
And thus comes the question, what genre are those games?

They're first person stealth games.

If you don't mind OLD old school, Might and Magic 3. Love it to death. :D

Thane of Fife
2009-08-26, 09:46 PM
Personally, I highly recommend Hearts of Iron II as a strategy game (haven't played 1 or the brand new 3). Basically a grand strategy WWII. You can play as any country which existed between 1936 and 1948 - and potentially quite a few that didn't. I wouldn't recommend some countries - Albania, for example, is pretty much doomed to be annexed by Italy, and can't really do anything to resist - but otherwise it's a lot of fun. Build all sorts of divisions, research, use diplomacy, turn your country into pretty much any form of government you like (there are a bunch of sliders), and probably make war over land, sea, and air. There are some flaws in the AI, but the patches generally take care of that.

RPG-wise, rogue-likes can be very enjoyable. Dark Disciples is another free RPG that I've found quite enjoyable.

And finally, I'll throw in another recommendation for the original NWN - I didn't think that the OC was that bad (the first time, anyway - it gets tedious with repetition), and Hordes of the Underdark can be a lot of fun. But the game really does shine with the custom content.

Ponce
2009-08-26, 11:00 PM
I highly suggest Arcanum. Use the Unofficial Patch (http://drog.terra-arcanum.com/) and associated projects to fix all the bugs and generally deliver a far superior gameplay experience. Great fun.

Still no Virgil romance subplot, though...

Heroic
2009-08-27, 08:36 PM
I've never tried any Rogue-like RPGs.
Maybe its the time to start.

I'll take a look into Arcanum.

Blayze
2009-08-28, 07:22 AM
If you're looking for a Roguelike, I recommend Castle of the Winds for an introduction.

Player_Zero
2009-08-28, 07:39 AM
Planescape: Torment if you want the best storytelling. It has crummy graphics and a not-so-amazing combat system, but it's by far the best storytelling.

Baldur's Gate 2 has a decent story, decent combat system, good voice acting, has a range of great mods and is definitely your best bet in terms of gameplay and roleplay combined. The expansion pack isn't... So great... Focuses too much on combat and the way the plot is presented is questionable.

Deus Ex is a great FPS-RPG. Vampire: The Masquerade is not as good in my opinion, but is still a great game. Both are aging at the minute though. You'll have to have some tolerance for the foibles of the engines.

Icewind Dale is Baldur's Gate I without a plot and respawning yuan-ti and symbol of X traps all over the effing place. Also, for some reason I found a +4 Holy Avenger that looked like a normal longsword on some random body in the middle of nowhere...

Roguelikes are a decent diversion. Zangband tk and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup both have tilesets if you don't like ASCII graphics. Of course, there is no plot besides the one you make yourself.

Oh, and you can play the original Baldur's Gate with the Baldur's Gate 2 engine with a mod, which is quite an improvement if you ask me.

Heroic
2009-08-28, 07:50 PM
I think I'll take a look at those Rogue like RPGs, meanwhile I'll go play Diablo 2:LOD due to the fact taht I'm over hyped about Diablo 3 after watching endless trailers and reading several reviews :smallbiggrin:

Folytopo
2009-09-01, 01:15 AM
I bought arcanum a while back and found it to a very interesting concept. But the game had many bugs. How much does the community patch help with the game? Also I found being a technologist excruciatingly painful on the first run through, and the 3rd when I tried it again.

Ponce
2009-09-01, 12:21 PM
I bought arcanum a while back and found it to a very interesting concept. But the game had many bugs. How much does the community patch help with the game? Also I found being a technologist excruciatingly painful on the first run through, and the 3rd when I tried it again.

Its very buggy, yes. Get the official patch and then the unofficial community patch and all the bugs will go away. The high resolution patch also makes the game much more playable. Make sure you install them in the correct order, though (read the instructions on the Unofficial Patch page). I made the mistake of doing it wrong (even if you do it wrong, its still better than vanilla Arcanum).

Mages and fighters have it the easiest in the game, and a fighter who buffs himself is nigh-unstoppable (you'll be ridiculously fast, often able to clear whole rooms on the first turn by running from enemy to enemy, hacking them to pieces, have loads of hp, and your resists will be to the point that damage simply doesn't matter). If you go the tech route, its good to also be a decent warrior (guns and bows are slow to get going, and tend to be underpowered compared to the damage you deal in melee or with spells [harm]). You can save points by planning your character in advance. You can save even more points by figuring out which companions you'll take, and not investing in those tech trees (since they can pretty much handle them). For example, Magnus can handle a lot of smithy techs, so you might save yourself some points by not investing there.

Heroic
2009-09-03, 07:04 PM
OK I finally got the witcher a couple of days ago and I must say:
It's fricking great!
I really looove the "shades of grey" chioces and the level system and and .. and everything :smallbiggrin:

warty goblin
2009-09-03, 08:17 PM
OK I finally got the witcher a couple of days ago and I must say:
It's fricking great!
I really looove the "shades of grey" chioces and the level system and and .. and everything :smallbiggrin:

Know what I love about the Witcher? Knocking dudes over then brutally stabbing them on the ground. No 'prone targets recieve -4 AC' or 'do an extra 3d6 damage' or anything. Just boom-dead. Like it should be.

Also Geralt halfswords for that move. Only game I've ever seen where somebody halfswords...it makes me very happy.

Folytopo
2009-09-04, 03:29 PM
Quick question about arcanum, can your companions receive the apprentice rank in skills or do they merely get skill points.

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 03:19 PM
May already have been mentioned, but since you asked about strategy too, I have to tell you NOT to buy Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri if you value your free time. Or ability to do anything other than play a game endlessly. I'm warning you...
Oh, and Galactic Civilisations 2 is a good strategy game too.
I'll definitely second (or third, or xth, or nth) the suggestion of the KotOR games. Buy them! Play them! Love them!

Everyone recommending Planescape: Torment is just reminding me of my inability to find a copy. Is it worth the pretty high prices it seems to fetch on Ebay?

DemonicAngel
2009-09-09, 04:21 PM
Everyone recommending Planescape: Torment is just reminding me of my inability to find a copy. Is it worth the pretty high prices it seems to fetch on Ebay?

see Good old games :P I think they sell it for about 10$ without DRM :)

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-09, 04:35 PM
see Good old games :P I think they sell it for about 10$ without DRM :)

Really? That would be amazing, but I can't seem to find it on there...
(it is www.gog.com, right?)

tribble
2009-09-09, 07:36 PM
For RTS, you have to get Starcraft. It's the law. :smalltongue:

Fixed that for you :smallwink:

Ponce
2009-09-09, 08:47 PM
Quick question about arcanum, can your companions receive the apprentice rank in skills or do they merely get skill points.

Some have apprentice rank or higher, but I think those that do start with them (Worthless Mutt, for instance). The only other way to give them over is to have the Teacher background.