PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter RPG - Brainstorming Stage

gnomas
2009-08-23, 05:13 PM
I was re-reading the series again, so that's primarily what has been influencing most of my ideas these days. I was thinking about how a tabletop RPG n the harry potter world would work, and I came up with a few things. I present these ideas to the playground to build upon and discuss so that I may receive many brain-waves and suddenly write a whole source-book in my sleep...or something like that.

- not D20 based. I just don't feel that the standard d20 rules would work well here. If someone could convince me otherwise it would save a lot of work. I was thinking Percentage based maybe (ranks in skill increase the percentage you have to roll under to succeed)
- skill based. each spell would be a skill-like ability that you would get better with by spending points in it
-hit points (or something like them) would exist, but most attacks would influence the condition track. (lots of conditions, stunned, confused, etc)
-level based advancement or just general XP that you can spend on ranks?
-do students count as characters (are years 1-7 the same as levels 1-7, or are students pre-level 1)
-not classed based. everyone is a wizard.
-except other sentient creatures like house elves, centaurs, and goblins. they have their own abilities. (also playable)
-things like non-verbal casting, wand-less casting, and such are determined by feats
-or they are skills?

PumpkinEater
2009-08-23, 05:26 PM
I was re-reading the series again, so that's primarily what has been influencing most of my ideas these days. I was thinking about how a tabletop RPG n the harry potter world would work, and I came up with a few things. I present these ideas to the playground to build upon and discuss so that I may receive many brain-waves and suddenly write a whole source-book in my sleep...or something like that.

- not D20 based. I just don't feel that the standard d20 rules would work well here. If someone could convince me otherwise it would save a lot of work. I was thinking Percentage based maybe (ranks in skill increase the percentage you have to roll under to succeed)
- skill based. each spell would be a skill-like ability that you would get better with by spending points in it
-hit points (or something like them) would exist, but most attacks would influence the condition track. (lots of conditions, stunned, confused, etc)
-level based advancement or just general XP that you can spend on ranks?
-do students count as characters (are years 1-7 the same as levels 1-7, or are students pre-level 1)
-not classed based. everyone is a wizard.
-except other sentient creatures like house elves, centaurs, and goblins. they have their own abilities. (also playable)
-things like non-verbal casting, wand-less casting, and such are determined by feats
-or they are skills?

I feel that Star Wars SE would work well here. Although it's a d20 system.

gnomas
2009-08-23, 06:36 PM
Didn't think of Star Wars, interesting.

Any ideas on how to adapt it for HP purposes?

Silverscale
2009-08-24, 01:05 AM
You might also take a look at this tread to get some ideas that are being thrown around.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122500

It's Rather late so I can't think of anything useful right now but I'll try and post something soon since I've been noodling through this idea myself.

Eloel
2009-08-24, 01:13 AM
I imagine HP magic being close to Warlock Invocations in D&D 3.5
Totally at-will, with the most broken stuff not existing.
All we need to do is find new invocations, and create a class based on them - and ta-daa, we have our very own HP RPG within D&D 3.5, limiting everyone to a single class.

Murdim
2009-08-24, 04:47 AM
All we need to do is find new invocations, and create a class based on them - and ta-daa, we have our very own HP RPG within D&D 3.5, limiting everyone to a single class.I agree with ozgun. Harry Potter could easily fit in a "Brits & Broomsticks" D20 module with a new base class (Wandcraft Mage ?), the matching magic system (probably inspired by Warlock magic), a handful of PrCs (Auror, Dark Mage, Hogwarts teacher...), some new monsters, races and templates (house elves, dementors, acromentulae, cerberus, HP versions of dragons, giants, half-giants, zombies (aka Inferi), goblins, liches (aka Horcrux crafter), werewolves...), many items (brooms, wands, potions, golden snitches, specterspecs, enchanted chess sets, along with some "artifacts" like the Sorting Hat, the Sorcerer's Stone, Gryffindor's sword and the Deathly Hallows) and, of course, a lot of flavorful NPCs (Luna, Miss Lovegood, the main Ravenclaw character, Loony, Xenophilius' daughter, the character played by Evanna Lynch...)

That said, isn't that exactly NOT what the original poster asked for ?

Jalor
2009-08-24, 04:55 AM
All we need to do is find new invocations, and create a class based on them - and ta-daa, we have our very own HP RPG within D&D 3.5, limiting everyone to a single class.

And then make it E6. You would qualify for prestige classes - all of them - at level 3. And the skills wouldn't be skill points, they'd be percentages like Call of Cthulhu. When you started out, you'd pick several "tag skills" for lack of a better term, and they would start higher and advance faster. And each level of each class would advance specific skills by specific amounts. Like, the Wizard/Witch class doesn't advance Athletics at all, unless you tag it, and it would then improve by 5% every level. Seems like a lot, but you only have six levels. Now, if you take levels in Auror, it improves by 5% every level because they often need to physically chase people.

I'll get back to this after school.

Vadin
2009-08-24, 09:45 AM
Alternatively, forget everything called skills and feats and full-round actions and start from square one.

What needs to be accomplished in the system?

Murdim
2009-08-24, 10:48 AM
Alternatively, forget everything called skills and feats and full-round actions and start from square one.

What needs to be accomplished in the system?Agree. Either you make it a homebrew setting for an already-existing game system such as D20, or you craft your own ruleset from scratch. Either you accept to take D20 as the base of your work with all the creative restrictions it implies, or you stop thinking about skills, feats, standard actions, HP, XP, classes and other D20 terms, at least in their D20 meaning.

Advantages of the first option are the assurance of a "tested and approved" core, massive external support, and interchangeability of content between a wide range of other, already-existing settings, meaning among other things that users can easily make their own silly Harry Potter/Eberron/Cthulhu crossovers.

Advantages of the second option are the possibility to create a perfectly adapted game system, way more limited balance concerns, unrestrained creative freedom, and not having your game mechanisms depend on someone else's intellectual property (D20 System Reference Document is under Open Game Licence, which is still, well, a licence)

Kroy
2009-08-24, 10:52 AM
I vaguely remember Ditto creating a system, I'll try to find it...

Edit: Found it! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53572)

Holocron Coder
2009-08-24, 09:47 PM
I'm working on a d20 based Harry Potter RPG. Just in the beginning works, but I believe I have a good handle on how it'll work... I'll probably put up a thread in a few days.

The only problem I foresee is that it bases on first year student being level 0, and after finishing each year, gain a level. Thus, 7th year students will be 6th level, with graduates being 7th.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-24, 10:03 PM
Didn't think of Star Wars, interesting.

Any ideas on how to adapt it for HP purposes?

Well, there is a "Use the Force" skill (Key ability: Wisdom). Here's a quick example:

Move Object (Better known as Force Push)
You telekinetically move a target up to 6 squares in any direction using the force.
Time: Standard action
Targets: One character or object within 6 squares or within your line of sight.

Make a Use the Force check. The result of the check determines the maximum size of the target you can lift (see below). If the target is a creature that resists your attempt, your Use the Force check must also exceed the target's Will Defense. You can hurl the target at (or drop it on) another target in range if your Use the Force check exceeds the second target's Reflex Defense (AC in this game). Both targets take damage determined by your Use the Force check.

DC 15: Move object up to Medium Size (deals 2d6 points of damage).
DC 20: Move object up to Large Size (deals 4d6 points of damage).
DC 25: Move object up to Huge Size (deals 6d6 points of damage).
DC 30: Move object up to Gargantuan Size (deals 8d6 points of damage).
DC 35: Move object up to Colossal Size (deals 10d6 points of damage).

Special: You may maintain your concentration on the targeted object to continue to move it from round to round. Maintaining the move object power is a standard action.
If you use move object against a hovering or flying target (such as a speeder or starship), the target can oppose your Use the Force check with a grapple check as a reaction. If the target wins the opposed check, you are unable to move the target.

Okay. So, there you have a Force Power. Now let me see if I can do a Harry Potter spell.

Stupefy
You are able to stun a person by blasting them with force.
Targets: One character or object within your line of sight.

Make a Spellcasting check. If the result of the check equals or exceeds the target's Fortitude Defense, they are dazed for 1d4 rounds. If the check exceeds the target's Fortitude Defense by 5 or more, the target is stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Okay, not the best, but I think you get the point, right?

imp_fireball
2009-08-25, 02:26 PM
For HP, I was considering a class called the wand wizard.

The wand wizard essentially has many more cantrips, and ones that are more effective than regular cantrips, in place of less higher level spells. Also, a wand wizard must level higher to begin casting 9th level spells as well. Basically, a wand wizard would be a wizard that's somewhat decent at first level.

Oh, and they need a wand in addition to a spell book. Many of their cantrips are also touch attacks.

Avada Kadabra
This spell drowns an object in such an influx of negative energy, that the biological energy of every cell in that persons body is snuffed out, killing them immediately. This spell has particular trouble in passing through objects however, and so non-living matter is probably the best guard short of a counterspell versus this (spell is a ranged attack instead of ranged touch attack. Avada Kadabra deals damage to objects equal to d12*the caster's level.
Level: 6th Wizard/Wand Wizard
DC: None
Cause/Effect: Ranged attack/Death
Targets: One character or object within your line of sight.
NOTE: Crafty munchkins can kill and animate in one round with this ability.

Buffer (Sp)

A wand wizard can buffer their spells up one level as a swift action, however they must make a spell craft check that exceeds the DC of the spell when one level higher (10 + spell level+1). They can buffer their spells beyond one level in the same swift action, however each level higher adds the spell's possible new level to its DC. ie. Buffering a 1st level spell up two levels would total a spell craft DC of 15 (10 + 2 (second level) + 3 (third level)).

Two Weapon Casting

A wand wizard with spell mastery can cast the spells chosen for his feat through mutiple wands as if he were fighting with two or more weapons. The wizard takes penalties to fighting with two or more weapons as normal.

Expeliarmus
This spell afflicts the target with a shunting force that attracts their wand to the caster, or possibly get rid of it depending on what the caster wills.
Level: 4th Wizard/Wand Wizard
DC: Reflex 10 + Caster Level + Intelligence Modifier
Cause/Effect: None/Disarm
Targets: One item that a character is equipped with or carrying within your line of sight (must be visible).
Special: If an object is not visible to the caster (and the caster attempts to move it expel it away from the target anyway), then the target adds a +4 to their reflex save against this spell. The caster can reach out and catch the wand as a swift action while it is still airborne (the target who failed their reflex save has no chance of doing this), by making a reflex save of a DC equal to the save that the target needed to avoid losing their item in the first place (but without the bonus for concealed items). The caster can also expel the item from the target in a way that makes it easier for them to catch (effectively only needing to then make a touch attack versus AC 10 to catch), but the target gains a further +4 to their reflex save.
----

There's plenty of opportunities for wand wizards in dueling situations beyond regular wizards. Say, a wand wizard wins initiative and expels the other wizard's wand? What if the other wizard put a trap on the wand that went off upon anyone who wasn't them touching it? Things have opened up a bit, hopefully.

Also, I would stick to 3.5ed. It's all laid out for you. Now all it takes is EFFORT.

lesser_minion
2009-08-25, 02:35 PM
For pure HP, I think it would be best to create your own system, although you could still base it on d20 (I'd suggest starting with Unisystem or True20 rather than using the core d20 ruleset). For both the True20 ruleset and d20, it would make sense to use combat/base attack bonus as the basis of the wizard duelling mechanics and similar.

As far as I can tell, the weakness of an HP caster would most likely be the fact that their magic can easily be prevented, and it's also possible to deprive a wizard of their power simply by robbing them of their composure.

Obrysii
2009-08-25, 02:47 PM
Um, not sure how useful this is, but I just wanted to point out the vast majority of spells we see used in the Harry Potter series (cooking, cleaning, etc) are cantrips in 3.5e D&D - specifically Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm).

Croverus
2009-08-25, 02:53 PM
What if you used a system similar to Dark Heresy? All your actions that have a chance of success or failure are determined by a bunch of attributes that are rated as 20 + a couple dice rolls and modifiers. The attributes being measured percantile like, roll a d% and if it comes up being equal to or lower than the associated attribute, success!

I would very much be interested in trying out this game.

Khatoblepas
2009-08-25, 03:21 PM
Use BRP. People in HP aren't at all heroic powerhouses, they can't take much damage, and they're just ordinary people with magical powers. I'd say:

"Casting spells without a focus (wand) costs MP, and requires a POW*1 roll to achieve a desired effect. Failure of this roll still costs MP, however, and may produce other, undesirable effects."

"Casting spells with a wand may be easy or hard depending on the intricacies of the spell involved. Simple spells (such as the levitation or disarming spells) begin at POW*3 to POW*5, and casting them in a calm environment reduces the difficulty to Easy, though it will take at least double the time to cast."

Ergo, Lumos could start at POW*5, and someone with POW 10 could always cast it.

Opposed or offensive charms could be POW vs. POW, and more difficult spells can be POW * 1. The death curse, for example. Voldemort had a lot of practice with that spell, and could pull it off really easily. Another character (I forget who) tried it but could not pull it off.

A lot of the series focuses on practicing spells, and it makes sense with the system. d20 just can't catch the grittiness it could potentially give. Once again, BRP would be the best for this, since we're talking ordinary people with a gift. Not heroes.

WoodStock_PV
2009-08-25, 03:47 PM
hmm.. I think that for an Harry Potter RPG the storyteller system that is used in the rules from the World of Darkness games such as Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse and especially Mage: the Awakening would be more interesting. You could make a system based on something like "magic points" to assign to your skills and list of spells available while maitaning the solid atributes, skills, talents, knowledges and all to back it up.

Croverus
2009-08-25, 04:23 PM
hmm.. I think that for an Harry Potter RPG the storyteller system that is used in the rules from the World of Darkness games such as Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse and especially Mage: the Awakening would be more interesting. You could make a system based on something like "magic points" to assign to your skills and list of spells available while maitaning the solid atributes, skills, talents, knowledges and all to back it up.

I second this idea. The sytem would work a lot better for most cases, and by using dice pools instead of just dice roles, where getting just 1 success can help, but getting a bunch of them is best, yeah... try that.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-25, 04:27 PM
For the d20 thing, maybe you could set all spells like skills, and then at each level, wizards get more "spell points" to spend on each spell. Or something like that. Say, lumos has a DC of 10 to cast. 9 points in lumos allows you to cast it no problem.