PDA

View Full Version : soul melds = magic weapon?

awa
2009-08-23, 06:41 PM
are meldshapes bound to the totem chakra to form weapons treated as magic weapons in regards to bypassing damage reduction?

wadledo
2009-08-23, 06:45 PM
Yes.
It says so somewhere in the book, and it's any meldshape, not just those bound to the totem chakra.

Dixieboy
2009-08-23, 06:48 PM
Yes.
It says so somewhere in the book, and it's any meldshape, not just those bound to the totem chakra.
This raises the question:

How does that work with Vow of poverty?

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-23, 06:53 PM
They don't have a listed cost, so they work rather well together.

wadledo
2009-08-23, 06:53 PM
Uh, since most of the combat related stuff in VoP doesn't stack with most soulmelds, then I just answered your question.
It's very similar to using VoP with a druid, or a psion, except worse, because they're less flexible.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 06:58 PM
Uh, since most of the combat related stuff in VoP doesn't stack with most soulmelds, then I just answered your question.
It's very similar to using VoP with a druid, or a psion, except worse, because they're less flexible.

Totemists happen to be one of the best choices for a VoP character because they can bypass the weaknesses it imposes (lack of flight, WBL, etc).

@ OP: If you invest Essentia into the meld and the meld provides an Enhancement bonus to attack/damage because of the Essentia, then yes. They are considered equal to a magic weapon or natural weapon under the effects of a Magic Fang spell.

Dixieboy
2009-08-23, 06:59 PM
then I just answered your question.

I'm pretty sure you didn't.

They don't have a listed cost, so they work rather well together.
They need a listed cost to mess up VoP?
Did not know that.

Gonna read up on the feat again.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 07:02 PM
Did not know that.

Technically, a Binder who binds Savnok or any of the vestiges that grant magic items automatically disqualifies himself from VoP's benefits.

wadledo
Uh, since most of the combat related stuff in VoP doesn't stack with most soulmelds,

VoP grants enhancement bonuses to weapons.
Which do not stack.
then I just answered your question.

The Rose Dragon
Did not know that.

That, and artifacts.

Besides, soul melds are not magic items. They are not items at all. They just take up item slots if you bind them to chakras.

awa
2009-08-23, 08:50 PM
you wouldn't happen to have a page number would you

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 09:19 PM
you wouldn't happen to have a page number would you

For what part? The part about Soulmelds not being magic items is implied throughout the book. The part about VoP characters not being able to own something with a price tag above 1 gp should be in the feat description.

awa
2009-08-23, 09:26 PM
The part relating to where it says they count as magic in regards to bypassing damage reduction

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 09:36 PM
The part relating to where it says they count as magic in regards to bypassing damage reduction

That would be under Damage Reduction, in the Monster Manual and DMG. Here's a quote:

Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Emphasis added. Most of the Totemist's soulmelds that grant natural weaponry include the option to grant an Enhancement bonus to attacks and damage. This meets the requirement above.

wadledo
2009-08-23, 09:39 PM
The exact wording might be in the errata (which we can't access because the WotC forums are down), but yea, what Sin said.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 09:41 PM
The exact wording might be in the errata (which we can't access because the WotC forums are down), but yea, what Sin said.

No errata. MoI was never issued it. Kinda like the Bo9S, but instead of the cheap joke they did with that errata, they just never bothered because it didn't sell well.

wadledo
2009-08-23, 09:49 PM
Hmm, then maybe it was one of those "the author of the class/book/system apologizes for not doing a half-assed job the first time, and offers this in return" thread.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 09:52 PM
Hmm, then maybe it was one of those "the author of the class/book/system apologizes for not doing a half-assed job the first time, and offers this in return" thread.

Nope. It came from my Handbook. I made the claim when I first wrote the Incarnum Handbook, and stood by it ever since.

The only half-assed parts of the MoI would be: Witchborn Binder, Soulborn, Incarnum Blade, Necrocarnate, and the Incandescent Champion. The rest is playable, and the Incarnate and Totemist are good.

sofawall
2009-08-23, 11:45 PM
VoP grants enhancement bonuses to weapons.
Which do not stack.

Heh. Not at all what was asked...

You also get stats. Feats. AC. A bunch of stuff. Those (for the most part) still work. Therefore, it works pretty well.

Also, the question was likely whether or not it violated your vow, not whether it was powerful. The later reply seems to support this.

wadledo
2009-08-23, 11:50 PM
Heh. Not at all what was asked...

You also get stats. Feats. AC. A bunch of stuff. Those (for the most part) still work. Therefore, it works pretty well.

Also, the question was likely whether or not it violated your vow, not whether it was powerful. The later reply seems to support this.

No, the question was "How does that work with Vow of poverty?"
Since this was purely a mechanical discussion, I went with the answer to the question that made the most sense to me, which was about weapons granted by soulmelds.
If he or anyone else had been talking about the non-weapon aspects of it, then I would have mentioned those to. But that would have been off topic, since it was nowhere near any part of the discussion at the time, until you brought it up.