PDA

View Full Version : Is this class overpowered, broken, or fair?

SoD
2009-08-23, 07:17 PM
A guy in my gaming group is wanting to use this class, the Spellfire Warrior (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spellfire_Warrior_%28DnD_Class%29). The problem, he's notorious for munchkinism, and I'm awful at spotting overpowered stuff at a glance. To get an idea; when reading over the monk, it seemed fair. As did the druid. Yeah, I'm that bad.

So what do we think?

Myou
2009-08-23, 07:21 PM
The class was tl;dr.

But if he's a know munchkin I'd ban all homebrew - its a nightmare to rein in munchkins with homebrewed classes.

Frosty
2009-08-23, 07:21 PM
Not knowing much about spellfire, at first glance this class would be about as powerful as a melee glaive-lock (warlock) who of course has levels of Hellfire Warlock as well.

Aka, if you have full casters in your party, this should not be a problem.

erikun
2009-08-23, 07:28 PM
First question: Do you have Magic of Faerūn?

If not, then no. I'm not finding the "Spellfire section" chart anywhere, and without it the class is unplayable. I also don't have a way to tell if it is overpowered without said chart.

The fact that you can use Stone Shape at-will at 3rd level (Elemental Control) makes me think it is overpowered, though. And I haven't even read through the whole class.

sadi
2009-08-23, 07:34 PM
Just from reading 10 seconds of what spellfire is, the class is broken and overpowered. If I'm understanding it right, you get a permanent rod of absorption affect. So as long as you're not holding any spells and your con/whatever is high enough you're immune to magic spells. And of course besides that get to use the spell levels to do other tricks that aren't as relevant after the fact that you're still going to be immune to spells 99% of the time or so.

Siosilvar
2009-08-23, 07:35 PM
Just from reading 10 seconds of what spellfire is, the class is broken and overpowered. If I'm understanding it right, you get a permanent rod of absorption affect. So as long as you're not holding any spells and your con/whatever is high enough you're immune to magic spells. And of course besides that get to use the spell levels to do other tricks that aren't as relevant after the fact that you're still going to be immune to spells 99% of the time or so.
You have to ready an action to be immune to single-target spells or rays.

Ecalsneerg
2009-08-23, 07:37 PM
Yeah, spellfire is generally considered weak due to the readying requirement.

wadledo
2009-08-23, 07:40 PM
It's a little strong simply because of the mass of options he has, but otherwise pretty decent, seeing how none of his abilities do diddly if he can't get something to cast a spell on him.
I'd suggest dropping the hit die down to d6, simply so it's in line with warlocks and rogues.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 08:05 PM
I've seen CO's opinion on the class, and I agree. Spellfire=Trap. If it were an Immediate action, it would be great. If it could affect AoEs that require no target or spells other than Single Target and Rays, it would be playable. But it doesn't, so it's a trap.

Better than melee classes, but not as good as an actual spellcaster.

The Glyphstone
2009-08-23, 08:06 PM
I'll bet Mr. Munchkintastic doesn't realize that, though, and think he's going to be immune to spells period...

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 08:14 PM
I'll bet Mr. Munchkintastic doesn't realize that, though, and think he's going to be immune to spells period...

Then he gets hit with the ones he isn't, and complains about it for the rest of the week.

Hence, trap. You need to have levels in Rogue to detect it, but it is a trap nonetheless.

Johanas
2009-08-23, 08:47 PM
I would like to add one thing. The PC can expend a number of Spellfire levels at once. They can hold a number equal to their CON modifer. Let me break it down. 1st Level dwarf PC with a 20 CON. +5 Modifer. That means said PC can make a Melee OR Ranged Touch attack, LONG range no less, to do 5d6 damage. At first level. Then, they just have the party wizards cast spells on him outside of combat to fill back up. And Melt more Faces. And I've seen it done. It isn't nice. Even more so if YOU can activate spells/spell trigger items to absorb the spells yourself. Dangerous.

Johanas
2009-08-23, 08:48 PM
Did I mention that they can use Spellfire to Heal, as well? Page 19 of Magic of Faerun.

The Glyphstone
2009-08-23, 08:58 PM
Okay, read the class....and Holy Overpowered Homebrew Batman. Who cares about readying actions when you can stored up to 4x your Con mod in pre-charged levels of Spellfire without any ill effects (Con 20 and the free Endurance feat means you can't fail the DC10 Con check, even it it's every single round, since Ability checks don't fail on 1's). With that same Con 20, he can store 20 levels of energy and dump all of them in a single round for only a -2 to his attack rolls.

Johanas
2009-08-23, 09:01 PM
Glyphstone's right. I was just referring to Spellfire in general. Not even addressing the class.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-23, 09:09 PM
Okay, read the class....and Holy Overpowered Homebrew Batman. Who cares about readying actions when you can stored up to 4x your Con mod in pre-charged levels of Spellfire without any ill effects (Con 20 and the free Endurance feat means you can't fail the DC10 Con check, even it it's every single round, since Ability checks don't fail on 1's). With that same Con 20, he can store 20 levels of energy and dump all of them in a single round for only a -2 to his attack rolls.

But that relys on the other players feeding the munchkin. As lon as they aren't munckins: will never happen.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 09:18 PM
I would like to add one thing. The PC can expend a number of Spellfire levels at once. They can hold a number equal to their CON modifer. Let me break it down. 1st Level dwarf PC with a 20 CON. +5 Modifer. That means said PC can make a Melee OR Ranged Touch attack, LONG range no less, to do 5d6 damage. At first level. Then, they just have the party wizards cast spells on him outside of combat to fill back up. And Melt more Faces. And I've seen it done. It isn't nice. Even more so if YOU can activate spells/spell trigger items to absorb the spells yourself. Dangerous.

This requires him to successfully absorb someone else's spell, one that has to target him specifically or be a Ray. It then requires an attack roll. This is also assuming the OP is starting at 1st level. And it can't be used during the first round of combat unless your party helps you out (and the party Wizard has much better options for his spells than letting you absorb them and risk wasting them on damage, like Sleep or Color Spray).

I'd rather have a Warblade than this. 4d6 every other round, 5d6 with Punishing Stance, and the potential for much more. And it can be used on his own.

erikun
2009-08-23, 09:26 PM
That depends on what Spellfire can absorb, doesn't it? Does a 1 HP Lay on Hands work? Will the ability from a Reserve feat? As a low level wizard, I wouldn't bother hitting him with Ray of Frost repeatedly... but as a mid-level wizard, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with tossing Winter's Blast at him as much as he wants.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 09:38 PM
That depends on what Spellfire can absorb, doesn't it? Does a 1 HP Lay on Hands work? Will the ability from a Reserve feat? As a low level wizard, I wouldn't bother hitting him with Ray of Frost repeatedly... but as a mid-level wizard, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with tossing Winter's Blast at him as much as he wants.

Key phrase there. Also, Spellfire acts like a Rob of Absorption, IIRC, but only to spells. Reserve feats, SLAs, and SUAs don't trigger the ability.

Douglas
2009-08-23, 10:10 PM
So, wizard casts 5 level 1 spells into this guy and, as a result, he can make one 5d6 ranged touch attack. If this is at first level, the wizard has spent multiple days worth of spells to charge this thing up. Spend it just a single time, and the wizard will have to make himself useless for two days to make it available again. Yeah, really overpowered.:smallsigh:

Did I mention that they can use Spellfire to Heal, as well? Page 19 of Magic of Faerun.
Yes. Cleric casts 1st level spell into Spellfire Wielder. SW uses that energy to heal a grand total of... two hp. Even with the improved ability from level 5 or more of this class, it's still only 2 to 5 hp. Or the cleric could just cast Cure Light Wounds himself for 1d8+level while the Spellfire Wielder stares in awe at how much better that is for the same cost.

Ok, so he can dump a 20d6 attack on someone, once. He can do this at a somewhat lower level than wizards can. Doing so requires spending a huge amount of resources (seriously, 1d6 per spell level is atrociously low).

Even with this class, Spellfire is terribly inefficient. It has a limited ability to nova provided your allies put in a large investment in setting it up. It also allows you to completely negate your own contribution to the party in exchange for a chance - if your opponent is a spellcaster, doesn't know you have spellfire, and happens to target you specifically - to negate one opponent. Oh, and you can bet it will only ever work once against any given foe.

So, "broken", but in the sense of not working rather than being overpowered.

Weezer
2009-08-23, 10:13 PM
But that relys on the other players feeding the munchkin. As long as they aren't munckins: will never happen.

or since UMD is a class skill he could just buy a wand of Magic Missle or what have you and blast himself with that whenever he gets low. Also he'll have a decent cha since DC are based off of it.

wadledo
2009-08-23, 10:18 PM
or since UMD is a class skill he could just buy a wand of Magic Missle or what have you and blast himself with that whenever he gets low. Also he'll have a decent cha since DC are based off of it.

15 gold per spell level?
At that rate, he might as well just hire a bunch of adepts to cast spells at him all day.

Mongoose87
2009-08-23, 10:21 PM
15 gold per spell level?
At that rate, he might as well just hire a bunch of adepts to cast spells at him all day.

They could be cannon fodder, too.

erikun
2009-08-23, 10:24 PM
15 gold per spell level?
No I have the image of some old wizard lounging on a lawnchair, while clerics casting Create Water streaming down his body. :smallfurious: WHY DID YOU PUT THAT IMAGE INTO MY HEAD!!!

Flickerdart
2009-08-23, 10:26 PM
So, it's either absurd when cheesed out, or ludicrously weak otherwise? Bad class either way, then.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 10:27 PM
No I have the image of some old wizard lounging on a lawnchair, while clerics casting Create Water streaming down his body. :smallfurious: WHY DID YOU PUT THAT IMAGE INTO MY HEAD!!!

Get it out of your head. I know a couple of /b/rothers who could help. Or I could just post something completely irrelevant and oddly funny.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-23, 10:29 PM
Craft a few eternal wands of acid splash i guess?

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-23, 10:32 PM
Craft a few eternal wands of acid splash i guess?

Try 10, if his Con is 20. IIRC, Spellfire gives you "points" based on the level of spell you absorb, but 0 level spells usually provide only 1/2 a level's worth in most circumstances.

The Glyphstone
2009-08-23, 10:48 PM
Indeed. Its OP-ness is entirely dependent on the availability of cheap, unlimited-supply means of recharging his stored energy. If he has to actually spend actions in-combat to recharge his power (and remember that he can only suck up things that directly target him), he's weak. But with a Warlock level, Warlock friend, or just a command-word item of some low-level spell, he can chuck a 20+d6 blast of doom at the biggest, meanest enemy in every encounter, then be a Fighter Without Bonus Feats and good Ref/Will saves for the rest of it.

Honestly, I'd say let him have it, drop the banhammer on any attempt to supply himself with unlimited recharging, then strictly enforce the limits in the class he's probably ignoring or overlooking.
1) It takes a Readied action to absorb anything.
2) That readied action only absorbs the next thing that hits him - if two casters attack, or one caster attacks twice, he's eating that second spell in the face.
3) If he wants to take advantage of the Spellfire Battery ability and overcharge his capacity, it basically means no magic items, since touching them makes him vent Spellfire like a leaky bucket.

Mongoose87
2009-08-23, 10:56 PM

That's quite a logical leap there, mate. I think that one's all your fault.

sadi
2009-08-23, 10:56 PM
Think of it as a double barrel shotgun, he can hold 2x his con in spell levels, fire off his con in d6 twice per round. Then probably sit there with a ready action to absorb spells, since it'll take him quite a few rounds of sucking on wands to refill. The most you can hold is 8x your con although x5 or x6 is probably all he could get away with without having to worry about failing a con check.

The overcharge if I'm reading correctly means if he had a 25 con, he could hold 150 spell levels fairly easy, do 2 range touch attacks at 75d6 each, and then have to come up with something else assuming that his 2 75d6 shots didn't obliterate whatever was sitting there. Yeah it sucks that he just spent 2250 in gp to drain 3 wands to charge up, but it's probably worth it to him just to be able to roll that many dice at once.

Doc Roc
2009-08-23, 11:51 PM
Getting those spell levels will be virtually impossible. You'd need to pay me to play this trainwreck of a class.

Edea
2009-08-24, 12:00 AM
I...think I would rather nudge him in the direction of either the Spellthief class, or just towards the general 'Gish' builds and PrCs (Paladin/(Sorcerer or Bard), Warblade/Wizard, Jade Phoenix Mage, Abjurant Champion, etc.). The Spellfire Warrior isn't really necessary.