PDA

View Full Version : Hey! you got your Naruto in my D&D!

Mystic Muse
2009-08-23, 10:09 PM
I checked and there didn't seem to be any topics on making Naruto characters into D&D characters. I was thinking some of the more experienced people here could tell me what classes fit the following Naruto characters. if you want to re-flavor them feel free but I plan on doing that. what they do is in notes for those that may have not read/watched Naruto.

Gaara. (control wizard. uses sand to paralyze and crush his enemies.)
Naruto. (wind attack focused and has a clining spell.)
Neji.(abilities center around blocking his opponents attacks while incapacitating them with his own.)
Itachi.(mind affecting)

Those are the main characters I'd like help with. for those who know the show Zabuza, Kakashi and Kisame would be nice characters as well.

Swok
2009-08-23, 10:10 PM
There was a thread of this in the old WotC boards (this was before they were Gleemax) It might still exist if you want to look for it there.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-08-23, 10:25 PM
My books are not on me, but I believe that there is a Sandstorm PrC that just screams Gaara.

Strawman
2009-08-23, 10:41 PM
Neji would need some kind of Improved Deflect Arrows kind of thing.

Feat - Substitution Attack- When a character rolls a natural 20 for an Attack of Oppurtunity, they may change places with their target if their target is within one size category. The target's turn ends and they are not able to complete the action they were taking.

shadzar
2009-08-23, 11:19 PM
:smallconfused:

I would probably start looking at The Complete Ninja's Handbook (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/phbr15-2.htm). Funny little world where making ninja's for D&D would use a book based on making ninja's for D&D. :smallwink:

OR you could use Naruto d20 (http://www.narutod20.com/)....

Jack Zander
2009-08-24, 12:10 AM
:smallconfused:

I would probably start looking at The Complete Ninja's Handbook (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/phbr15-2.htm). Funny little world where making ninja's for D&D would use a book based on making ninja's for D&D. :smallwink:

No Naruto character would be properly stated as a ninja though. They aren't anything at all like real ninjas.

Zeful
2009-08-24, 12:15 AM
No Naruto character would be properly stated as a ninja though. They aren't anything at all like real ninjas.

Except Zabuza and Haku.

shadzar
2009-08-24, 12:15 AM

"Real ninjas"? Where do you draw that conclusion from?

Ninja: a member of the ninja who were trained in martial arts and hired for espionage or sabotage or assassinations; a person skilled in ninjutsu

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Seems most exactly like what the ninja world of the Naruto-verse is about. People trained for specific purposed in arts that others do not want to delve into themselves.

Do we have any real ninjas here to defend this position?

WeeFreeMen
2009-08-24, 12:26 AM
My books are not on me, but I believe that there is a Sandstorm PrC that just screams Gaara.

A combination of Sand-shaper and Walker in the Wastes
with some Sorcerer for Gara.

Id be more than willing to give these a go in the morning, but this is all you get at 1:30 :smalltongue:

Johanas
2009-08-24, 12:38 AM
Trickery Devotion from Complete Champion: Kage Bushin no Jutsu!!!!

Longcat
2009-08-24, 02:21 AM
Let's see:

First of all, we'll need to define the basic techniques most ninja in Naruto know:
-Henge no jutsu: Disguise/Alter self
-Kuchiyose no jutsu: Mislead, Abrupt Jaunt
-Bunshin no jutsu: Image-line of spells

Bloodline powers:
-Byakugan: True Seeing, Ubiqutous Vision+Touchsight, Precognition offensive/defensive, Darkvision/low-light vision for the basic sight enhancements. Arcane Sight for sensing chakra. Wraithstrike+Avalanche of Blades with unarmed strikes to represent Kaiten.
-Sharingan: Arcane Sight, True Seeing, Precognition for the same reasons as Byakugan. Energy Substitution(Fire) Vitriolic Sphere/Fireball with Searing Spell for Amaterasu, Mindrape/Phantasmal Killer for Tsukoyomi, Astral Construct for Susan’o. Limited Wish or Shadow Conjuration/Evocation or Spell-to-power Erudite for copying spells.

Now, for the main characters:
Team7:
Naruto: Empty Vessel Monk/Erudite Tashalatora with Greater Mirror Image/Astral Construct/Throw Ectoform (3rd party) to represent Kage Bunshin, Energy Flash for Rasengan, and Metamorphosis/Draconic Polymorph for the Kyuubi form.
Sasuke: Human Unarmed Swordsage/Illusionist/Jade Phoenix Mage with Mark of Glasya for the Cursed Seal, Desert Wind/Fireball for the "Katon"-line of spells, Arcane Wrath with Unarmed Strike Divine Surge or Shocking Grasp for Chidori.
Sakura: Not really sure… maybe Monk/Cleric/Sacred Fist with Divine Power and some healing spells?
Kakashi: Same as Sasuke, minus the Cursed Seal.
Sai: Human Shaper with Astral Construct.

Akatsuki:
Deidara: Human Erudite with Astral Construct and Anathemic Carapace (ignore the Astral Construct nerfs in CPsi) for the exploding clay creatures. Fiery Discorporation for the self-destruction clone. Phantom Steed for his bird mount.
Sasori: Warforged Necromancer/Pale Master utilizing Magic Jar to control Hikuro (Awakened Montrous Scorpion Skeleton with Awaken/Disguise Undead). Shivering Touch for his special poison. Has a Human Necropolitan Shaper/Slayer with Hail/Swarm of Crystals, Graft Weapon, Psionic Flight as his undead cohort to represent the 3rd Kazekage. Has Warforged Wings and wand sheaths installed into him, the latter filled with Scorhing Ray/Disintegrate Wands.
Itachi: Human Unarmed Swordsage/Wizard/Jade Phoenix Mage/Shadowcraft Mage (ignoring the gnome requirement). For the abilities, see Sasuke and Sharingan.
Kisame: Water Genasi Warblade/Wu Jen(Water) with Monkey Grip/Strongarm Bracers.
Pain: Human Wizard using a combination of Simulacrum, Ice Assassin, the Necropolitan creation ritual and Magic Jar to create and remote control his paths. Note that all the paths (save Asura) have the Necropolitan template; they’re essentially reanimated corpses.
-Deva Path: Human Sorcerer/Incantatrix. Explosive Spell Wings of Flurry for the basic version of Shinra Tensei, Locate City Bomb for the large one, Telekinesis for Bansho Tenin, Implosion for Chibaku Tensei, Control Weather for 24/7 rain in Amegakure.
-Animal Path: Human Conjurer/Malconvoker, mostly memorizing summoning spells.
-Preta Path: Human Abjurer with Anti-magic field and a number of defensive spells.
-Human Path: Human Cloistered Cleric with Detect Thoughts and Slay Living
-Asura Path: Warforged Psywar with grafted weapons and Tomb-tainted soul.
-Naraka Path: Human Dread Necromancer. Uses Charnel Touch to heal the other paths. Insert SoD spell of your choice here to represent the King of Hell’s soul-draining ability.

As for the rest of them, I’m still unsure. Might post again later.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-24, 03:23 AM
"

Do we have any real ninjas here to defend this position?

possibly but anybody who says they're a ninja are by law not actual ninjas so we'll never know.

elliott20
2009-08-24, 03:34 AM
Dude, I totally flip out and kill people all the time.

but anyway...

I always felt that naruto stuff should always be handled via a homebrew instead of trying to replicate it with existing material. There is just too much specific information to really make it all jive well with the RAW.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-24, 03:55 AM
which just means you're a serial killer not a ninja.

elliott20
2009-08-24, 04:05 AM
which just means you're a serial killer not a ninja.
I will simply direct you here (http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm).

Aotrs Commander
2009-08-24, 04:05 AM
What you really want to look at is the Psionic Naruto Builds thread by Disposable Hero on the WotC boards. They were extremely good. Sadly, the boards are down at the moment, or I'd have provided a direct link. Once they're back up (which is the back end of the month), just google it, and you should find it.

I've always thought that, myself, for a really high-powered Naruto world, I'd use gestalt psionic/ToB characters. ToB for the taijutsu, psionics for nin and genjutsu. Equally, you could use arcane magic or pretty much anything with some reflavouring effort.

You don't even need to get too clever with mechanics, if you don't want to do a whole campaign, either. With a bit of creative reflavouring of fairly basic stuff, you can work wonders. I did a character build based loosely around Naruto (the series, not just Uzimaki himself) using a bog-standard Cleric/Monk combination; the only think I did was swap out Turn Undead for Divine Counter Spell. I used the Trickery and Competion domains, and just re-named the entire Cleric spell list into jutsu. Healing became inspiritions (i.e the character yelling heroic nonsense and getting people to stand up and fight...) A wand of Lesser Vigour became a pot of Healing Salve (a la Hinata) and Asuma's yer uncle, job's a good 'un. Heck, even I recently picked up Trickery Devotion, which is basically a weak form of Shadow Clone!) It was sufficently convincing that the to folks who I'd not told about it had no idea what class I was until I told them.

Or, as mentioned, loom at and/or use the very extensively done Naruto D20 floating around on the net.

kyuubigan
2010-02-18, 02:18 PM
I'm working on creating a 3.5 compatible Naruto homebrew right now. I've already got the base class done, all the prestige classes picked out and ready to build, several feats, some new skills, as well as unique weapons, armor, and equipment. Have several ideas for jutsu, but I have yet to put any of that on paper.

I've also figured out a unique solution to shinobi who are members of a clan. Most clans (Nara, Yamanaka, most Uchiha, Aburame, Inuzuka, Akimichi) are taken as feats that must be taken at first level and must be your human bonus feat.

For clans with bloodlines (Uchiha w/Sharingan, Hyuuga, elemental fusions) are treated as having a moderate bloodline. Instead of taking levels of the bloodline, characters instead incur an Experience penalty dependent on the bloodline (Hyuuga 10%, etc).

Jinchuuriki is a template, but I only built it so I could figure out the mechanics of certain cannon characters.

I've also got most of the base statistics of all the main characters figured out, including Ability scores, character level, class levels, chakra, etc.

I'm planning on making this into a pdf and posting a link to it on the forums. I should be done in about a month or so. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

SpikeFightwicky
2010-02-18, 02:25 PM
The main problem would be that all the characters would have to have a flaw like:
It takes 5 minutes for your character to perform a standard action, where most of that action is a flashback.

Iceforge
2010-02-18, 02:37 PM
I would love to have a system that actually simulated the world (including the combat system) of naruto, I think the style of battle in that show is interesting.

Currently reading exalted, hoping it will at least be part way there, but not getting my hopes up

EDIT: Also, can't wait for Naruto vs. Pain and Danzo vs. Sasuke

SpikeFightwicky
2010-02-18, 02:46 PM
Some of the players in my group have tried homebrewing it to D&D, but they came to the conclusion that the D&D rules don't really do it justice. Not to say it's impossible, just that they weren't happy with their finished product. I think the main point they had trouble with was converting Jutsu into a workable rule set.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-18, 02:51 PM
They are on the old WotC Psionics Board.

Xallace
2010-02-18, 02:51 PM
Are we talking 3.5, or otherwise? Because out of sheer boredom I may or may not have started up a rather intensely modified 4E homebrew based somewhat on the new Psionics system. You know. Maybe.

Anyway, Naruto I'd say is a wilder with access to the Form of Doom power, some ability to Alter Self, Improved and Superior Unarmed Strike. Couldn't say too well for the others.

The main problem would be that all the characters would have to have a flaw like:
It takes 5 minutes for your character to perform a standard action, where most of that action is a flashback.

Made my day.

Prime32
2010-02-18, 02:55 PM
The old Psionic Naruto Builds thread was migrated to BG a while ago.
Here's the link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002.0).

Mind, some of the stuff there is out of date, but there's still a new build or two (and some discussion on things like Rasenshuriken which didn't exist at the time of the original thread).

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-18, 02:58 PM
Might Guy: Monk 4/Acolyte of the Fist 10/Initiate of Draconic Mysteries 9

Prime32
2010-02-18, 03:00 PM
Might Guy: Monk 4/Acolyte of the Fist 10/Initiate of Draconic Mysteries 9

http://www.geocities.com/disposableherodm/Gai.jpg
Maito Gai - Monk6/Fist of Zuoken10/Lucid Cenobyte*4
*-Hyperconscious

Feats: Wild Talent (1), Psionic Fist (Human), Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk1), Stunning Fist (Monk1), Combat Reflexes (Monk2), Speed of Thought (3), Improved Disarm (Monk6), Power Attack (6), Greater Psionic Fist (9), Psionic Meditation (Fist of Zuoken5), Psicrytsal Affinity (12), Mental Leap (15), Psicrystal Containment (Fist of Zuoken10), Unavoidable Strike (18)

Powers:
1st - Biofeedback, Vigor, Metaphysical Weapon, Adrenaline Boost
2nd - Animal Affinity, Psionic Lion's Charge, Hustle
4th - Weapon of Energy
5th - Psychofeedback

Gai's Signature Abilities:
Basically the same as his student Rock Lee in his fighting style and abilities, though a little more refined in their use. Gai is capable of both Omoto Renge and Ura Renge (Animal Affinity and Psychofeedback) as Lee is, but also combines the 8 gates kinjutsu with chakra use that Lee is incapable of performing. This is done in the later stages of manga when team Gai battles the astral clone of Hoshigake Kisame and is represented by weapon of energy and metaphysical weapon used on his unarmed strike. Gai's extreme speed is represented by Speed of Thought and Hustle, and his incredible striking power is represented by Greater Psionic Fist, Unavoidable Strike, and Power Attack.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002.msg198306#msg198306

Admiral Squish
2010-02-18, 03:00 PM
Byakugan Feat Set (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69660)

/Shamelessplug

Cespenar
2010-02-18, 03:37 PM
There's a perfectly working Naruto d20 system, which is already said:

It's pretty good, in my opinion. I've played a couple games with it, and though they didn't last too long, the system seems solid and fun. There's an abundance of techniques to choose from, interesting prestige classes, bloodlines, etc.

Give it a shot.

kentma57
2010-02-18, 05:18 PM

Tried that broke the game hard, aparently the DM dislike it when PCs can toss around 30+ cubic feet of sand as a free action...

also: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19530598/Psionic_Naruto_Builds

ps: Go Naruto d20!!

cupkeyk
2010-02-18, 05:23 PM
We were just doing this a few weeks ago, but for 4e. Oddly enough Naruto, Shino, Sasuke all turned out to be druids.

Jerthanis
2010-02-18, 05:41 PM
Dude, I totally flip out and kill people all the time.

but anyway...

I always felt that naruto stuff should always be handled via a homebrew instead of trying to replicate it with existing material. There is just too much specific information to really make it all jive well with the RAW.

I agree, but also suggest that it's an excellent inspiration for unique powers that you can homebrew mechanics for. The powers that characters exhibit are sometimes really awesome... like the guy who harvested hearts to deter deathblows and allow him to cycle different chakras... or the power that guy tried to use to pull Sasuke into his dying body that left a giant, perfectly spherical crater in the ground. Or Pain's ability to control multiple corpses using iron implants.

Everyone has bizarre and unique powers in the Narutoverse, any one of which could serve as inspiration for a memorable antagonist in an RPG.

Boci
2010-02-18, 06:38 PM
Akatsuki:
Sasori: Warforged Necromancer/Pale Master utilizing Magic Jar to control Hikuro (Awakened Montrous Scorpion Skeleton with Awaken/Disguise Undead). Shivering Touch for his special poison. Has a Human Necropolitan Shaper/Slayer with Hail/Swarm of Crystals, Graft Weapon, Psionic Flight as his undead cohort to represent the 3rd Kazekage. Has Warforged Wings and wand sheaths installed into him, the latter filled with Scorhing Ray/Disintegrate Wands.
later.

Sasori always struck me more as a warforge / artificer with craft effigy.

Nerocite
2010-02-18, 07:15 PM
....Gnome Gnignjas.