PDA

View Full Version : Back to School...

Lupy
2009-08-23, 11:50 PM
On Tuesday I enter the dread realm of High School for the first time...

When do the rest of those of you still in school go back (or when did you go back in some cases)?

Neko Toast
2009-08-23, 11:52 PM
You're only in ninth grade? Huh.

I'll be returning for my Sophomore year. In college, that is. I move in this coming Sunday, and classes start next Wednesday.

Shades of Gray
2009-08-23, 11:55 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g25329.png

When do the rest of those of you still in school go back (or when did you go back in some cases)?

Heck if I know. Probably going back to high school, tenth grade, on September 3-5th.

Dragonrider
2009-08-23, 11:57 PM
@^: Yeah, but it's not like that's any different than middle school. :smalltongue:

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-23, 11:58 PM
I return to high school as a junior on September first. Bleh.

Edit: Oh, and I have summer work for English class. Better get started on that... :smalltongue:

Warpfire
2009-08-24, 12:00 AM

Eh, high school's not nearly as scary as people make out it to be. In general if you don't go out of your way to bother people they'll return the favor. Really it's not that big a jump from middle school.

Also, at all of the many and varied high schools which I attended, nothing really happened on Freshman Friday. Unless you're doing sports.

Sneak
2009-08-24, 12:01 AM
I go back as a junior in HS sometime around September 8. I look forward to getting absolutely no sleep.

And, of course, I'll have to spend the next two weeks spending all my time running for cross country preseason. Joy!

Gotta love high school.

KilltheToy
2009-08-24, 12:04 AM
I become a junior in....about 7 hours from now. I really should be sleepiing now.

Second night in a row this has happened. Might be getting freakin insomnia again....:smallsigh:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-08-24, 12:06 AM
High school is fun actually.

That said - don't tell other people what to do, be nice to everyone and fight back when taunted with insults. That's pretty much all there is to it. The first one makes people either mad at you or makes them think you're an arrogant know-it-all, the second one is self-explanatory and the third one... well, insults are a status game. By fighting back you show that you're not lower status (and thus show that you're not a target for more abuse/bullying).

Also, sense of humour helps.

Warpfire
2009-08-24, 12:11 AM
be nice to everyone

Or you can be mean but in a funny way. That works too. :smallamused:

doliest
2009-08-24, 12:11 AM
Going back for Sophomore year or as I'm prepared to call it the do-nothing year. Going to see all of my friends...they've probably got their self-esteem all built up for me to tear down again...OH IT WILL BE GLORIOUS! :smallbiggrin:

Perenelle
2009-08-24, 12:13 AM
I'll be going back to school Tuesday too! what a coincidence. :smallwink:

The Extinguisher
2009-08-24, 12:17 AM
I have absolutely no idea what day school starts for me.

And also, I think two of my classes don't have locations.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-08-24, 12:23 AM
I start Law School next week. Damn, I feel old.

Vaynor
2009-08-24, 12:25 AM
I'm going back to high school as a senior on the 27th. Last year, hurrah!

And so begins the college search...

TFT
2009-08-24, 12:26 AM
Hmmm, senior year starts in... about 9 hours. And I already had homework.

zeratul
2009-08-24, 12:37 AM
I start my junior year on the 8th of september. Still got a few weeks to do my summer reading :smallwink:.

Demons_eye
2009-08-24, 12:39 AM
Same as him ^ but finishing off high school! go 12th Graders!

shadowxknight
2009-08-24, 12:40 AM
High school was pretty fun.

Word of warning though.
Don't tell a hated teacher to go bite the big one until SENIOR year, because you NEVER KNOW when you have them again...:smallsigh:

KataraAltinaII
2009-08-24, 12:41 AM
life sucks.
but High School sucks more.

don't worry. it gets easier as you get more through it [ie: Freshman year is the hardest, then Sophomore, then Junior, then Senior]

zeratul
2009-08-24, 12:43 AM
life sucks.
but High School sucks more.

don't worry. it gets easier as you get more through it [ie: Freshman year is the hardest, then Sophomore, then Junior, then Senior]

From what I've seen/heard sophmore actually seems to be the worst then freshman then junior then senior.

toasty
2009-08-24, 12:51 AM
I start my last (YES!) year of high school on the 14th of September. HA! I still have 3 weeks. :smalltongue:

That being said, I'm homeschooled, so I'm not getting the "proper" highschool experience, but I'm probably getting a better education. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-08-24, 12:52 AM
I have another...one, two weeks? Don't remember exactly. Thing is, depending on whether I end up at BCC or UC Berkeley for my concurrent enrollment math class, I'm going to start taking math either tomorrow or on Wednesday... :smallsigh:

THAC0
2009-08-24, 12:57 AM
I went back two weeks ago, and the kids first day was last week. :smallamused:

thubby
2009-08-24, 01:01 AM
back to college september 8th. :smallsigh:

Em Blackleaf
2009-08-24, 01:14 AM
Awww. Lupy's a baby! I've always wanted to not be the youngest person on the boards. :smalltongue:

High school is not that bad. I love it, so far.

I started my Sophomore year of high school on August 12th. Needless to say, I was excited. I turn fifteen on September 9th, so I'm kind of a baby, myself. I realized why people don't like most Freshmen, though. I feel a little bit guilty. >_>

Also, upperclassmen might "adopt" you.

kpenguin
2009-08-24, 01:17 AM
My senior year begins on Tuesday.

I'll be glad to see the end of my "high school experience". If high school truly is the best time of your life, then I shudder to think how miserable the rest of my life will be.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-24, 01:25 AM
Awww. Lupy's a baby! I've always wanted to not be the youngest person on the boards. :smalltongue:

High school is not that bad. I love it, so far.

I started my Sophomore year of high school on August 12th. Needless to say, I was excited. I turn fifteen on September 9th, so I'm kind of a baby, myself. I realized why people don't like most Freshmen, though. I feel a little bit guilty. >_>

Also, upperclassmen might "adopt" you.
Introduction week starts next week and then I´m off on my first year of college.

Anuan
2009-08-24, 01:54 AM
Start? I finish twelfth grade on Hallowe'en :smalleek:

Deathslayer7
2009-08-24, 02:08 AM
second year of college in less then 10 hours. :smallsigh: already miss summer.

SMEE
2009-08-24, 02:22 AM
Start? I finish twelfth grade on Hallowe'en :smalleek:

You know... they live on the crazy hemisphere with backward seasons and stuff. :smalltongue:

Boy... high school ended 12 years ago. :smalleek:

Ichneumon
2009-08-24, 02:24 AM
I'll start with my first year Biology at university next week.

KuReshtin
2009-08-24, 02:41 AM
I feel old..
I haven't been at school proper for about 15 years.

Anuan
2009-08-24, 03:12 AM
You know... they live on the crazy hemisphere with backward seasons and stuff. :smalltongue:

Boy... high school ended 12 years ago. :smalleek:

SMEE looks a lot younger than she is ._.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-24, 06:12 AM
Starting my Freshman year September... 9th I think.

In a BRAND NEW High School. And everything is starting an hours earlier for everyone.

If it weren't for having to get up earlier than I have for the past 8 years, I'd be happy to go.

Lord Loss
2009-08-24, 06:36 AM
High shcool is a time of...

Dreams and friendship, sluggish work, annoying teachers (not to mention getting cruel replacements thrown out...), nice teachers, restaurants...

Assassin89
2009-08-24, 08:17 AM
I move in for my Sophomore year of college on September 2nd and classes begin September 8th.

arguskos
2009-08-24, 08:50 AM
Ugh. Currently in my first class this semester here at Richland College. Oi, college, you're so special (and not in the good way sometimes).

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-24, 09:24 AM
I am SO GLAD to be back at college. I'll continue to be SO GLAD for at least 2 weeks. After 2 or 3 weeks I'll hate all of my classes and will be more miserable. But I'm glad to be living with my friends again!
I wish the dorms had AC. It's SO HUMID in here.

Miss Nobody
2009-08-24, 11:34 AM
I'm starting 10th grade in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see my sadistic teachers again and present my unfinished summer homework. :smallsigh:

RTGoodman
2009-08-24, 11:45 AM
I feel old..
I haven't been at school proper for about 15 years.

Well, you've got me beat by a bit, but I still feel old, too, with all these middle and high school kids runnin' around.

I'm starting grad school, er, about 30 hours from now. I moved in Saturday the 15th to my new apartment, had pointless orientation on this past Saturday, and have my History Department grad student meeting today at 3:30. I'll be working over the next two years (hopefully) towards an MA in European History (with a focus on early medieval northern Europe) at the same place I got my BA, East Carolina University.

Fortunately, my first semester doesn't seem like it'll be that bad. I've got my generic, everyone-has-to-take-it "Seminar in European History," "Ottoman History," and "Medieval History," and I'm TAing for the only medievalist historian on the faculty. Of course, he's pretty old and has taught the same classes for about 20 years here, so I'm not sure exactly how I'm gonna get 20 hours of work a week in as his "teaching assistant."

LightWraith
2009-08-24, 12:13 PM
3rd year at my University starts next Monday for me. I'm still a sophomore for this semester, then will be a Junior in the spring.

TRM
2009-08-24, 12:18 PM
Class today, first day.

College searches upcoming.

Goodbye rest and sleep.

Flickerdart
2009-08-24, 12:26 PM
Starting my first year of university on the 9th. Oh boy.

T-O-E
2009-08-24, 12:34 PM
At least a week left.
Can't believe I've wasted my Summer...

zeratul
2009-08-24, 01:40 PM
Any of you guys have summer reading projects? I still have to read 2 more books and write 3 papers for AP English 11

valadil
2009-08-24, 02:20 PM
This summer is my 5th year reunion for college.

Now I feel old.

Supagoof
2009-08-24, 02:33 PM
High School advice....

Freshmen don't know they don't know.
Sophmores know they don't know.
Juniors don't know they know.
Seniors they know, they know.

As true now as it was 12 years ago when I graduated HS.

Vaynor
2009-08-24, 02:42 PM
Any of you guys have summer reading projects? I still have to read 2 more books and write 3 papers for AP English 11

I had to read Kite Runner for English 12 AP. It wasn't that great, I've found that the books I read on my own are generally much better than the ones I read for school. :smallsigh:

KilltheToy
2009-08-24, 04:29 PM
Starting my Freshman year September... 9th I think.

In a BRAND NEW High School. And everything is starting an hours earlier for everyone.

If it weren't for having to get up earlier than I have for the past 8 years, I'd be happy to go.

I know exactly how that is. Today was my school's second year of operation.

And we have to be there at this shiny new-ish building at 7:30 in the morning :smallsigh:

Wreckingrocc
2009-08-24, 04:41 PM
I starts as a Sopphy the 31. I really like school, but, then again, Secular Private Schools are usually like that. School's fun, small, and easy; the only thing I don't like is the homework, which usually isn't that bad anyways. No summer reading or anything, just a fun summer which will be followed up by a fun year.

And getting up at 7:25 is torture, but... Hey, it could be worse :D

Jinura
2009-08-24, 04:44 PM
Began about.. Two weeks ago, wow that seems like longer, two years left if "primary" or whatever you're gonna call it school, before the High School equalivent ( spelled? ) here in Denmark, school usually starts at age 6 and ends at age 16 ( then the optinal that most people take that lasts three years. ) and.. I just figured I'm gonna be done studying in ten years :smalleek:

Recaiden
2009-08-24, 04:49 PM
Yeah, my senior year started about 8 hours ago. Best year so far since kindergarten. Although, I already have 6 pieces of homework.:smallsigh: Not having to there until 9:00 is nice.

zeratul
2009-08-24, 04:53 PM
I starts as a Sopphy the 31. I really like school, but, then again, Secular Private Schools are usually like that. School's fun, small, and easy; the only thing I don't like is the homework, which usually isn't that bad anyways. No summer reading or anything, just a fun summer which will be followed up by a fun year.

And getting up at 7:25 is torture, but... Hey, it could be worse :D

This is true, you could have summer reading, have to wake up at 6:50 and be starting on the 8th :smalltongue:.

Jalor
2009-08-24, 05:14 PM
This is true, you could have summer reading, have to wake up at 6:50 and be starting on the 8th :smalltongue:.

I had summer reading, read the unabridged version, started today, and have to get up at 5:00 AM. I'm in a magnet and live an hour away, and school starts at 7:14. I also need at least thirty minutes in the morning to check on my PbP games and RSS feeds. So, yeah.

My friends are still as awesome as ever. Which is the great thing about high school; most of the people you meet are pricks, but you just make friends with the good people and ignore the pricks. Freshman year is tough because most of the pricks think they're still in middle school and act accordingly, but people generally grow up a little by sophomore year and leave you alone if you don't bother them.

Just don't worry. Nothing anyone does is because of you, and nobody is judging you. Don't take yourself too seriously. Take notes in your classes and study, but don't panic. Know where your towel is.

zeratul
2009-08-24, 05:19 PM
I had summer reading, read the unabridged version, started today, and have to get up at 5:00 AM. I'm in a magnet and live an hour away, and school starts at 7:14. I also need at least thirty minutes in the morning to check on my PbP games and RSS feeds. So, yeah.

Yeah you definitely win this one then. 5 AM? that's crazy man. I've only woken up that early to go salmon fishing or fly somewhere.

arguskos
2009-08-24, 05:34 PM
Starting my first year of university on the 9th. Oh boy.
Flickerdart is significantly younger than I expected. o.O I was expecting this post to read "You young whippersnappers! In my day, we didn't have college, we had a tin-roof shack with a teacher in it!" Or something similar.

No, I don't know why. I just did.

Jalor
2009-08-24, 05:35 PM
Yeah you definitely win this one then. 5 AM? that's crazy man. I've only woken up that early to go salmon fishing or fly somewhere.

My lunch period is at 10:30. Since Orange County schools dismiss an hour early on Wednesdays, I eat lunch at about 9:45 those days. My friends and I call it "second breakfast".

But hey, I get out at 2:14. It's almost worth it.

THAC0
2009-08-24, 07:36 PM
This summer is my 5th year reunion for college.

Now I feel old.

I'm a teacher, I always feel old. :smallbiggrin:

Yarram
2009-08-24, 07:52 PM
Poor Lupy. Doomed to suffer another few (3?-4?) years of pain, finished by a final burst of torture with which responded to determines your future, at least for the next 5 years, an possibly your life.

Nevitan
2009-08-24, 07:57 PM
Luuuuuuupy's a Freeeeeeeeeeeeshman, Luuuuuuuuuupy's a Freeeeeeeshman. :biggrin:

Ahem.
Actually it's now that bad, plus everything is new and exciting.

Blue Ghost
2009-08-24, 08:50 PM
Junior year this year, started last week. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm taking 4 Advanced Placement classes this year, so the homework's kind of on the high side. I probably should stop visiting GITP as often.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-25, 03:01 PM
I start my junior year on the 8th of september. Still got a few weeks to do my summer reading :smallwink:.

If you go to an American public high school, whether or not you do your summer reading is probably irrelevant.

Also, middle school < high school <<<<<<<<<<.....<<< college

WarBrute
2009-08-25, 03:12 PM
Second year of college starting Aug 31. Though technically I'm one unit short of being a sophomore...

Serious though, the first three years of high school feel like they will never end and senior felt like it month long.

Want advice? Take chances, meet girls, have fun and get into trouble(some not a lot). I know you won't believe me but 4 years isn't that long.

Eon
2009-08-25, 03:32 PM
last time i checked... i was going into eighth grade in a week give or take.

Umael
2009-08-25, 03:53 PM
I'm a teacher, I always feel old. :smallbiggrin:

You're username is THAC0.

You ARE old! :smallwink:

Lolzords
2009-08-25, 04:08 PM
My first day at college is september 10th, but I've got an induction day either 2nd or 3rd. Haven't even got my bloody results yet.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-25, 04:12 PM
Yesterday I only had one academic class. Today I had all 3 of my big intensive classes. I still have no homework! The people around me all have at least reading! Freaky.

Lupy
2009-08-25, 04:18 PM
The hour-and-a-half classes are too long!

Other than that my first day went fine...

Jalor
2009-08-25, 05:41 PM
If you go to an American public high school, whether or not you do your summer reading is probably irrelevant.

That's about right. SparkNotes is your friend.

zeratul
2009-08-25, 06:20 PM

Also, middle school < high school <<<<<<<<<<.....<<< college

Not with the English teacher I have this year, he counts them for a grade.

Vaynor
2009-08-25, 06:46 PM
Not with the English teacher I have this year, he counts them for a grade.

He's not saying you won't be tested on them, just that you don't need to read them. :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2009-08-25, 08:02 PM
The hour-and-a-half classes are too long!

Other than that my first day went fine...
Hour and a half classes? My shortest lecture is two hours. My longest class is four. And it starts at 8. :smallyuk:

Perenelle
2009-08-25, 08:18 PM
Hour and a half classes? My shortest lecture is two hours. My longest class is four. And it starts at 8. :smallyuk:

.........:smalleek: wow. and I thought that these hour-and-a-half class schedules they put us on were long. I hope those classes are interesting if they're 2-4 hours long.

TRM
2009-08-25, 09:04 PM
First assigned reading of the year started today. Two chapters of an introductory sociology textbook (:smallsigh:) and some half dozen essays on racism or something like that.

Fortunately, I also have to write 1500 words of fiction and do some sketches focusing on Lines. Happy student is happy.

Want advice? Take chances, meet girls, have fun and get into trouble(some not a lot). I know you won't believe me but 4 years isn't that long.
This is fantastic advice. Study some too, enough to get into a good University and have them pay you money to go there, or not—depending how rich you are. My freshman year crawled by. My sophomore year crawled by until spring semester when it was over in a flash; and now I'm on Junior year. I've met girls, I've had fun, I've gotten into trouble, I've made out with some cute guys, and all of it's been a blast. Freshman: relax and listen to WarBrute.

Flickerdart
2009-08-25, 09:35 PM
.........:smalleek: wow. and I thought that these hour-and-a-half class schedules they put us on were long. I hope those classes are interesting if they're 2-4 hours long.
My program (Bachelor of Design) has few lectures compared to labs and tutorials, so at least I'll be doing something all the while. But yes, hopefully they'll be interesting.

THAC0
2009-08-26, 12:20 AM
You're username is THAC0.

You ARE old! :smallwink:

My subconscious is taking over! Noooooo!

Actually, last year the kids went home and told their parents they had a "teenaged teacher." I'm taking it as a compliment. :smallbiggrin:

EndlessWrath
2009-08-26, 01:39 AM
I started as a college freshman today. Wasn't worried as much about drama or what not... just spent a lot of time looking for classes.

High school really isn't that bad. I never had many problems besides not following the one rule i finally established myself this year. I suggest you follow these words.

DO THE WORK

40-70% of the grades for most high school classes is homework and classwork. I made the mistake of not doing homework and suffered dearly. Drama wasn't an issue for me in high school, It won't be for you either if you pay no mind to it.

good luck!
-Wrath

Aystra
2009-08-26, 01:47 AM
I started 9th grade yesterday. :smallfrown:

Fredthefighter
2009-08-26, 02:37 AM
September 7th for me, although I pick up my exam results tomorrow and have an induction day on the 4th.

Ichneumon
2009-08-26, 02:47 AM
meet girls

That's one thing I'm certainly on planning to do, with everything that comes with it.

Zaggab
2009-08-26, 04:51 AM
I'm going back to university on August 31 for my third semester. It will be good to meet all my friends again and have something to do. My summer has been almost too uneventful, and almost too long.

Immunology, organogenesis and microbiology are on the curriculum this semester.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-26, 04:54 AM
That's one thing I'm certainly on planning to do, with everything that comes with it.

Waaaaait, Ichy is male?:smallconfused:
Or is Ichy les/bi?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-26, 05:24 PM
That's about right. SparkNotes is your friend.

Exactly!

My advice in terms of college and highschool work is this: you can either do the work, or you can half-ass the work, but you can't quarter-ass the work and expect to pass.

I once survived a 3 hour literature discussion seminar, with only 9 students, in which we were to compare and contrast themes and such from Ethan Frome (http://www.amazon.com/Ethan-Frome-Signet-Classics-Wharton/dp/0451527666) and Thousand Cranes (http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Cranes-Yasunari-Kawabata/dp/0679762655/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251325722&sr=1-2). Prior to class, I had sparknoted Ethan Frome, and read the first chapter of Thousand Cranes*. I got an A in the class.

So basically, either work really hard, or invest a lot of points into bluff.

*I would have read (or, who are we kidding, sparknoted) the rest of the book, but my roomate misheard the reading assignment, thought it was a book of short stories, and told me that we only had to read the first one. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised when his mistake was revealed during class!