PDA

View Full Version : [Dark Heresy] Does it have to be Inquisitors?

Leeham
2009-08-24, 03:52 AM
So, i'm thinking of starting a new campaign whilst one of my DnD regulars is, well... unregular. I want to play Dark Heresy, but i don't want the guys to work for an Inquisitor. Any ideas? Thanks

Melamoto
2009-08-24, 04:27 AM
I've never played Dark Heresy, but from a Warhammer 40k perspective there isn't really anyone else they would answer to.

Calmar
2009-08-24, 04:54 AM
I have no idea what tthis game is actually about, but what about being a... heretic? :smallconfused:

Lord Herman
2009-08-24, 05:06 AM
I have heard they're working on a book that covers Space Marines, but I don't know when it'll be out. Apart from that, I don't think working for an inquisitor is actually necessary, but you'll still be playing characters you'd normally find in an inquisitor's retinue.

Incidentally, I'm working on GURPS rules for the 40k setting at the moment. I've made templates for the different races, and statted out the weapons and armour they use. It's not quite finished yet, and there's a whole lot of balancing and playtesting to be done. The GURPS system does seem very suited for the 40k setting. Lots of detailed rules for dying horribly.

Zen Master
2009-08-24, 05:28 AM
Sure you can be something else. Raiders, pirates, marines, imperial guard, gangers, spyrers ... and so on, and so on. But a lot of the background provided of course is based on the assumption that you work for the inquisition.

delazar
2009-08-24, 05:48 AM
As Acromos said you really can play what you like. It is easier to play someone who belongs to an imperial organisation. We had lots of fun playing a imperial guard special forces team.
Furthermore there is a new product "Rogue Trader" where the heroes belong to a trader who explores undiscovered star systems.

Ashtar
2009-08-24, 05:54 AM
In my mind in Dark Heresy, you don't need to work for inquisitors at all. You could be any kind of character groups that form to investigate / adventure. Sure an inquisitorial rosette and a focus given by the inquisition helps, but the possibilities are endless:

Released from service ex-Imperial Guard on an old and decrepit hive world, clawing their way up the ladder to secure transit off-world to somewhere else. Which ends up putting them on a cargo with unsanctioned psychers wanting to escape from the Black ships... and who knows what could be attracted to these fragile unprotected human minds in the warp.
Servants and acolytes of a Magos Errant dispatched to find ancient archeotech.
Scums and gutter living rejects of society fighting to protect their turf from the strange new drug dealers who showed up selling coloured shards of glass from warp knows where. (Shamelessly stolen scenario from Ravenor)
Suvivalist enclave on a death world about to be consumed by a tyranid swarm, fighting to get to the only secure location on the planet, the ancient shelter (Vault 17 hum hum) which will protect them from the tyranid and subsequent virus bombing by the imperial navy.
Rogue trader detail on a mission to a human world lost to the light of the imperium to reclaim the body and charter of the Rogue Trader who dissapeared there twenty years ago. Funded by the remaining money, it is a last ditch attempt to not let the ancient dynasty die.
Entourage of a sister hospitaler on a quest of pilgrimage and redemption, to clense a relic recaptured from a fallen world, plagued by agents of the inquisiton wanting to set hands on the relic because they believe it has been corrupted.

I can probably find another dozen of adventure threads and seeds or could detail and help you set something up if you want.

Kaun
2009-08-24, 05:56 AM
yeah you could probably retool it to play as gangers or gaurdsmen or bounty hunters or what ever.. The rogue trader book is due out fairly soon as well which ads a new slant to it.

I think the bonus to the whole being an inquisitor thing is most people in the 40k universe will spend there entire life with in a few miles of where they were born. As acolytes of an in inquisitor you get to go to heaps of interesting places, meet heaps of fascinating people, then burn them for the heretics they are!!!

Krrth
2009-08-24, 08:29 AM
Take a look at Rogue Trader (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=78&esem=2).

It's due out sometime in the next month or so, and they have a sample adventure w/ characters available for testing.