PDA

View Full Version : DC - Curry's Bakehouse

Don the Bastard
2009-08-24, 05:33 AM
You emerge from the Labyrinth in the Prince of Broken Hearts Tavern, in the west end of the Market District, the closest you could get to Curry's Bakehouse, which lies in the slums. You can here the ruckus of dancing and music above, not uncommon for this time of night, so close to the wharfs as it is. You emerge from the cellars and the smell of warm beer and sweaty sailors assails your nostrils, you do not linger.

To get to the slums you have to pass under the gates, and leave the safety of the city guard, the closest gate is The Hydra Gate, it looms up in front of you some 30 feet over the city floor. You cannot help but stop at the gates, they are not guarded at present but they are closed, you will have to rouse the guard to open them. A small white guardshouse sits unobtrusively by the gate.

boxboy582
2009-08-24, 09:15 AM
Cerrin Gennial

As Cerrin winds his way up to the tavern, he quickly cinches his maroon overcoat closed. The last thing he wanted was to draw too much attention. He made sure to tie it with a special knot so that a quick tug on one of the loose ends would cause the overcoat to fall open, allowing quick and easy access to his weapon that lay beneath.

As the two men wound their way through the tavern, the smell of ale wafts under Cerrin's nose. After the headache he had just experienced, he wanted nothing more than to find relief in the bottom of a tankard.

Cerrin remained quiet for most of the trip, and took great pains to ensure that he blended in with whatever crowd was already walking the streets. His eyes continually scanned the streets, checking and rechecking alleys and the streets they had already walked. If someone was following them, he wanted to know it.

After arriving at the gate, Cerrin rolled his eyes. Of course the guard was going to cause them more annoyances than they already had, even if they were unaware of the previous annoyances. He glanced over at Nivek and motioned toward the gate: Would you mind rousing the guard to let us through the gate?

Stealth check to blend in with the crowd: [roll0]
Perception(?) check to ensure that they are not being followed: [roll1]

OOC:
Well those kinda stunk. Perception was lower than my passive perception! :p For future reference, is it possible to take ten on these rather time sensitive checks?

Jalor
2009-08-24, 03:46 PM
As Nivek left the tavern, he pulled his black hood over his head so his distinctive profile would not be recognized. He addresses the guard at the gate. "Good evening, sir! Would you mind letting us through the gate?"
[roll0] Bluff to seem less worthy of notice. Keep in mind that his horns are trimmed very close to his head (yes, like Hellboy) specifically so he can wear a hood and mask to conceal his identity.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-24, 06:29 PM
"Certain sirs, won't be but a moment, however I should be lettin' you know that the gates shan't be open again until mornin' so's you shan't be able to get back in to the city major." He goes inside and re-emerges with a big brass key, it unlocks a small single person door in the larger gate doors "There you are sirs."

Jalor
2009-08-24, 06:37 PM
"Thank you, sir." Nivek walks through the gate, taking a careful look around as he does so.
[roll0] Perception. Hey, at least being Lv3 negates his Wis penalty.

boxboy582
2009-08-24, 06:48 PM
Cerrin Gennial

Cerrin walked through the door, mumbling a polite thanks and an affirming nod to the guard as he did. The gate locking for the night was a problem. They would most likely need to return tonight so that they could further prepare for their assault on the prison. Cerrin's mind raced through his contacts and knowledge of the city, searching for any information he might have on an alternative route back into the city.

Once on the other side of the portal, Cerrin looks about with Nivek in search of any veiled threat. He motions for Nivek to lead the way and mumbles After you.

I'd like to take ten on all of the following checks, but since I didn't hear back on whether that was allowable, I'll post the roles as well.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Don the Bastard
2009-08-24, 07:04 PM
You are certain you are not being followed, the gate closed and locked behind you, you are now in the southern slums, they line the cliffy coastal region to the west of the city, they are a vast sprawl of multi-storey hodge-podge buildings that house the poorest residents of the city, it is cheap to build and live here because it is outside the city walls. There are a few beggars and passed out sailors on the streets, and some more nefarious types in the side alleys and at-top the rooftop plankways, but they seem to be ignoring you for now.

OOC: @ Cerrin Stitch himself knew of a way into and out of the internal warehousing district after lockdown, it was one of the things that made him valuable, he rents a house in the north slums, perhaps if you were to go there it might give you some idea of how and where he got in

Jalor
2009-08-24, 08:23 PM
Nivek walks quickly, not wanting to stick around for too long. He pulls both of his enchanted rods from the folds of his clothing, keeping them mostly hidden.
He keeps his armor on under his clothing when out and about. It's Darkleaf armor, so there shouldn't be any suspicious bulges.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-27, 08:30 PM
A shadowy figure drops down from a plankway in front of you, "Well 'en what we got 'ere coupla well to do sorts walkin' through my neighbourhood, I should hope you brough' your purses so you can pay the toll" he says with a grin, mostly devoid of teeth. (Passive Perception) - There is another boy sitting on the plankway above your head, holding a crossbow, he calls out to the first "Tax 'em Toby"

boxboy582
2009-08-27, 10:34 PM
Cerrin Gennial

Cerrin rolls his eyes at the ill conceived robbery attempt. How dare these people call themselves thieves. A real thief would be ashamed by a stunt like this, whereas this sort seemed to pride themselves on it.

Cerrin shares a glance with Nivek, obviously aware that the two of them should be more than capable of disposing of these two urchins. Cerrin's glance finishes with a bit of a head nod, conveying the thought of "Do we fight them or try to deal with them in another way?".

Cerrin returns his gaze to the man standing before them, his tone is obviously sarcastic to those who possess enough intelligence to detect it. Well, my friend, your name is Toby if I am hearing your rather impish lad correctly He nods to the boy sitting atop the plankway. It seems with your clever mastery of the art of thievery, you've managed to catch us. Cerrin holds up his hands, to show that they are empty. His exterior is one of a man who knows he is bested, but underneath he knows he could have a dagger in his hand and thrown into Toby's throat in mere moments.What is the going rate that you and your crossbow toting friend are charging these days?

Cerrin wanted to keep Toby off guard. He knew the longer he kept him rambling on, the easier it would be to find an intelligent way to best him and his companion. He knew the boy wielded a crossbow and that he and Nivek were well in range. But what did this Toby carry? Cerrin's eyes quickly scanned the toothless man, looking for any sort of weaponry or implement, in case he had managed to pick up a few tricks of the arcane trade. Cerrin also took a closer look at the plankway, looking for any sort of weak point in the structure. If he could take out a support, he might be able to take the entire plankway down on top of their assailant's head.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Jalor
2009-08-29, 07:50 PM
Nivek surveys the two thugs casually, seeming unperturbed. "This is a dangerous part of town this time of night. You boys should run along home before you get hurt." His tone is one of sarcasm and thinly veiled menace. Very thinly veiled.
Intimidate: [roll0]
Crap. Crap. CRAAAAAP.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-30, 07:33 AM
Cerrin - Streetwise to see if Cerrin knows whom these gentlemen are since he is deeply connected with the thieving world. - (1d20+7)[15] - They are both unfamiliar.
Perception to detect any weapons on Toby. - (1d20+8)[23] - He has a cudgel (club) hook over his belt, he would be able to grab it easily
Perception to detect structural weakness on the plankway - (1d20+8)[16] - The plank may collapse if sufficient force is applied to the centre, it is slightly buckled and a little rotten.
Insight to try and determine how mean/serious these two are. Are they cutthroat type or are they bumbling, etc. - (1d20+6)[15] - They seem fairly serious, though you believe they are more interested in money than in violence.

"Let's see then, 5 silvers each, 2 of you, thats 8 silvers I reckon" Toby says.

"10 silvers" the other boy corrects.

"I'd say your toll just gone up it'll be 10 silvers for you now" Toby adds, pointing his Cudgel at Nivek.

boxboy582
2009-08-30, 11:38 PM
Cerrin Gennial

Cerrin glanced over to his companion as he spoke. Perhaps Nivek's more direct approach would be more affective. Cerrin noted the rotting support and tried to foresee how a collapsing plankway might improve their situation.

As Toby finishes speaking, Cerrin lets out loud exhale. He continued to play the part. Well now. 5 silver apiece? I don't know if we have that sort of coin on us. He glances over at Nivek, an impish twinkle in his eye. Cerrin's hands float down to his waste as he pats his "pockets" to show that he has no money. As he does, his nimble hands undo the overcoat allowing easy access to the deadly blade underneath.

Cerrin turns his head back to his assailants, but keeps his blade hidden from their view. He lazily shakes his head side to side and frowns. What will happen to us if we cannot produce that much money? You wouldn't do anything to two men who are down on their luck? You must sympathize with those in a similarly tough situation.

Cerrin was playing with these men, and quite enjoying it.

Rolls in case you need them:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jalor
2009-08-31, 04:44 AM
Nivek shakes his head slowly and pats his sides as well, his rods still mostly concealed. "I'm afraid you've caught me at an awful time. I'm not sure I have that kind of money either." He returns Cerrin's glance and grins.
In case you need a roll for hiding my weapons, [roll0] is a Dexterity check. If it's Stealth, add 2 to that for my racial bonus.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-31, 06:34 AM
"Well then, we're jus' gonna have to take them fancy cloaks and those shiny boots 'en" he points with the cudgel as he says the items. He swings the cudgel into his left hand with a dull thud.

An uncomfortable shiver walks down each of your spines, the man seems a little more confident than you would like.

There are 2 dull thumps behind you, like the sound of someone landing on dry earthen streets, you suddenly realise, Toby and his crossbow wielding friends were not alone...

Initiative please for Cerrin, Nivek is at 11.

ThugsThe 4 thugs are at:
Toby[roll0]
X-bow[roll1]
Left thug[roll2]
Right thug[roll3]
Map
http://www.b3tards.com/u/5ca6327c8893748d8306/grid1.jpg

Initiative order:
Rthug - 20
Lthug - 18
Nivek - 11
X-bow - 8
Cerrin - 7
Toby - 6

boxboy582
2009-08-31, 09:38 AM
Cerrin Gennial

Cerrin rolls his eyes at the man. This was the last thing he wanted to waste his time on. His hands fly to his sword and within a blink of an eye it is out of it's holder, and waiting for the first victim to enter range.

[roll0]
*facedesk*

Don the Bastard
2009-08-31, 10:32 AM
The first thug, steps forward, grinning a sparsely toothed grin and spitting on the ground, he wraps an arm under Niveks, trying to catch up the tiefling's arms.

Grab attempt [roll0] vs. Reflex 16.

He suceeds, pulling his hands up behind the tieflings neck effectively immobolizing him.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/5ca6327c8893748d8306/grid2.jpg

Don the Bastard
2009-08-31, 10:46 AM
The second thug, draws a cudgel from his belt and steps up to Cerrin, he swings the club low at Cerrin's feet.

Attack [roll0]vs. AC 21

Damage Roll [roll1]

The human sweeps your legs out from under you, knocking you prone on your back and stinging your legs with the blow.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/5ca6327c8893748d8306/grid3.jpg

Jalor
2009-08-31, 04:56 PM
Nivek whirls his rods up into position, bathing himself and the thug in an intense purple light. His form flickers, and he vanishes from the thug's grasp. Reappearing in the shadows behind the thug, Nivek gestures again. Spectral tentacles seem to squirm out of nowhere, filling the air with an icy chill as they lash at the thug.
Move: Ethereal Stride so I'm two squares behind Rthug. +2 power bonus to all defenses. That's three squares away from where I started, so I gain concealment.
Minor: Warlock's Curse on Rthug.
Standard: Hands of Ihbar targeting Rthug. Nobody is closer than me, so I get Prime Shot. [roll0] vs. Will, [roll1] + [roll2] cold damage. He's slowed until the end of my next turn, and any cold resistance he had is reduced by 3 (save ends). If it missed, activate Sacrifice to Caiphon and recover it.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-31, 08:27 PM
The man howls in pain, dropping to his knees as the icy tentacles wash over him.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/5ca6327c8893748d8306/grid4.jpg

boxboy582
2009-08-31, 10:52 PM
Cerrin Gennial

Still gripping his sword, Cerrin smirks at the thug from the flat of his back. Ouch he mutters to the man, mocking the thug's blow even in such a vulnerable position. With a whoosh, Cerrin flashes out of existence only to appear standing firmly on the ground behind the thug that attacked Nivek. Working together against one opponent would prove to be the best strategy.

Cerrin grips his sword as the claw-like pommel digs into his flesh, a few drops of his blood dripping into the eager pommel. Cerrin swings the sword with a deadly grace, aiming straight for the man's exposed neck.

Using Resonant Escape to teleport from prone position to standing behind Rthug (I4).

Using my Bloodclaw Falchion's ability to deal 1 damage to myself and gain 3 damage since my weapon is two handed.

Standard: Using Bond of Pursuit [roll0] for [roll1]