PDA

View Full Version : Computer-savvy people, I need your help!

Hannes
2009-08-24, 02:31 PM
My computer has started to crash recently. I've noticed that it does this when the memory usage goes above 40% or 50% as I checked last time with Task Manager. The crashes started occurring after a bad confrontation with a trojan. I could run an AVG scan and (so far as AVG told me) got rid of it.

But I was wondering: how could I locate the problem and how could I get rid of it?

Also: svchost.exe seems to be malfunctioning.

I am also running Win2K Professional, with SP4.

Lord Herman
2009-08-24, 02:39 PM
Here:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

...no, I don't actually have any useful advice to offer. :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 02:40 PM
Backup your files, format and install XP?

It's what I would do.

bluewind95
2009-08-24, 02:44 PM
Try HijackThis. Check everything that it shows you (most of this should not be at all bad). You should be able to recognize many, if not most or all, of the things HijackThis shows you. If you don't, investigate it. Google it, find it in your harddrive, and make up your mind as to what it can be. If it's bad, delete it with HijackThis. If it's not, then leave it be. Once you do that for all items, restart your computer and run HijackThis again. If it is back, then disable the system restore, take it out again, and restart the computer. Then enable the system restore again.

If this doesn't clean your computer, or everything that you found is good, then you might need to reinstall some, or many, Windows components. As a tip... reinstalling or installing a service pack should update most Windows components anyways, and may be a good bet to fixing the issue without having to reinstall all of Windows (because stuff may have been corrupted).

That's what I'd do, anyways.

kestrel404
2009-08-24, 02:49 PM
I hate suggesting this first thing, but it sounds like some of your system files are hosed (this happens pretty often when you have a virus). So an OS re-install, or at least a repair, may be in order.

Get out your system disks (the CDs you got with your computer - if you installed the OS yourself, then the original install disks). You should have one with Windows 2000 prominently on it. Try to boot from that CD. If you can, try to 'repair your operating system'. It should be offered as an option at the bottom of the screen (Press f# to repair your OS).

Before doing this, backup everything you care about. Either to a seperate hard drive or to a writeable CD/DVD or even to the Internet if you know how.

If repairing your OS doesn't work, try windows tech support forums (google is your friend in this case). While the windows people won't support 2K directly, a lot of the forumgoers will be helpful.

If all else fails, re-install windows. From scratch - don't just install over top of your current installation, format the hard drive that windows is on, and do a full install. Be sure to download and keep copies of all of your drivers and the windows patches you'll need beforehand (this leaves you with less maintenence to do after you re-install). Once you've finished that installation, use a backup or hard drive imaging program to make an image of this clean windows installation on your machine - this way you can always go back to this 'good installation' in the event that your machine gets corrupted again.

Note: If you only have 1 hard drive in your computer, instead of formatting that hard drive, you can just boot from a boot disk/CD and delete the windows directory. This is very nearly as good as formatting the hard drive as far as doing a clean installation is concerned.

Hope that helps.

Hannes
2009-08-24, 02:57 PM
So: I am currently downloading SP4 again, and trying to reinstall that. If that doesn't work, well, I'm gonna have to find the CD with SP4 and drivers I used last time and do it the hard way :smallannoyed:

Mando Knight
2009-08-24, 03:21 PM
Backup your files, format and install XP?

It's what I would do.

Pretty much this. 2K SP4 is old enough that it's almost better to just grab XP SP3. It's also more secure than 2K. Win7 comes out this October (in AMERICA (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Eagleland), anyway), and should be better than either one.

Hannes
2009-08-24, 03:23 PM
Only... I don't have an XP install disc.

Also, couldn't install SP4, it crashed before it could even start installing it. So I guess I'm gonna have to get all the driver stuff and backup my important stuff and reinstall Windows.

Player_Zero
2009-08-24, 03:32 PM
I don't advocate downloading an illegal copy of Windows XP.

Maybe you should buy one.

@\/ So, how's that gaming support? Can you play solitaire on it yet?

raitalin
2009-08-24, 03:37 PM
This is where I generally recommend that if you don't use your computer primarily to play the newest games you should just go ahead and install Ubuntu. Easy to use, free, stable and secure; Ubuntu FTW.

Flickerdart
2009-08-24, 04:03 PM
Download a memory test tool and check your RAM. If it crashes every time it goes above a certain point, there may be an issue with the RAM, in which case you're one new RAM chip away from making it work.

The Valiant Turtle
2009-08-24, 07:01 PM
I second the RAM check suggestion.

The main concern of mine is svchost. That thing is a gateway for a lot of services (good ones and bad) that you need. What are you getting from it that makes you think it's bad?

Other software you might want to check out is Spybot Search and Destroy and CCleaner. I'd run both of those before HiJack This. Hijack is awesome, but those two should reduce the amount of stuff HiJack will show you. They might even do the trick.

Upgrading to a newer Operating System is definitely recommended. You might even be able to go with the Windows 7 Release Candidate and pre-order the real thing, but I don't know if MS is still providing keys for the RC. I'm using now and I like it pretty well, although some of it does bug me. Ubuntu (or the Linux of your choice) is a great choice in many cases.

Mando Knight
2009-08-24, 07:18 PM
Only... I don't have an XP install disc.

It's probably like US$50. If that. Most likely a good bit less, since it's sufficiently old tech.

If you don't need Windows (for programs that WINE can't emulate correctly) and don't mind learning a new user interface, Ubuntu probably is a good idea, though...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-08-24, 08:04 PM
... I keep forgetting that other people don't already have Windows 7. My dad works with a company that works with Microsoft, so...

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-25, 02:53 PM
Have you essential files board a Noah's Ark-esque external drive, then let the cleansing rain wash the sin from your computer. Make sure you bring two copies of each file so they can...you know....

Hannes
2009-08-27, 05:41 AM
Okay, so the RAM's okay, my system files were hosed. I've reinstalled Win2K since it's the only thing I have and I don't have enough money for a XP disc. Now I need to install drivers. Which do I need? I've figured out

Graphics
Sound
Wireless

What else will I need?