PDA

View Full Version : HERO System

Grey Paladin
2009-08-24, 05:01 PM
Could anyone please summarize the differences between 5th and 6th edition to me? I'm considering buying the new edition but the cost seems pretty steep if its not a serious upgrade.

qcbtnsrm
2009-08-24, 11:00 PM
Could anyone please summarize the differences between 5th and 6th edition to me? I'm considering buying the new edition but the cost seems pretty steep if its not a serious upgrade.

Differences are huge apparently. I haven't read it myself. But no characteristics are figured any more. So more Dex doesn't automatically give you more Speed for example. And CVs (OCV, EDCV, etc) are all now fully independent stats which are purchased separately. Much of the various effects of characteristics have been altered, and Comeliness has gone away completely.

There are a dozen new base powers, a return of several others from pre-4th edition, and virtually no power has been left un-reworked.

Likewise just about everything was taken out and re-examined. Advantages (AoE was greatly reduced), Disadvantages (Completely reworked and renamed to Complications), Limitations (many were absorbed into Complications), Frameworks (Elemental Control is gone, partially replaced with a new limitation), Skills (actually I haven't heard of any changes to skills).

Good? Bad? I don't know yet. I'm hoping we'll get some full reviews in the next couple of weeks.

If you are leery of buying the base rule books (there are two this time around "Character Creation" and "Combat and Adventuring"), there is supposed to be a light version of the rules in the $10-$20 range coming out in a few months. It might well suit you to wait a bit.