PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hmm, anything wrong with this feat?

deuxhero
2009-08-24, 09:18 PM
Just something I thought up (I was bored).

Cleaving Reload. (needs a better name)
If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it) using a ranged weapon (such as a crossbow or sling) you may reload the weapon as a free action.

Special:A fighter may select Cleaving Reload as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Not anything special, but I am wondering how it could be worded beter.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-24, 09:27 PM
Just something I thought up (I was bored).

Cleaving Reload. (needs a better name)
If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it) using a ranged weapon (such as a crossbow or sling) you may reload the weapon as a free action.

Special:A fighter may select Cleaving Reload as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Not anything special, but I am wondering how it could be worded beter.

... So, you're saying that by killing someone by clubbing them with your crossbow, you're also able to reload it at the same time?

Doc Roc
2009-08-24, 09:29 PM
How does this interact with Arrowstorm?

Hint: Actually, as written, it doesn't. Weird.

Lubirio
2009-08-24, 09:31 PM
I think he's saying that if using a crossbow (let's say light) to attack and to deal enough damage to make it drop (dealing that damage by shooting at it) you can then reload your crossbow and (if BAB allows) shoot another target.

deuxhero
2009-08-24, 09:32 PM
@Lubirio pretty much.

Holocron Coder
2009-08-24, 09:32 PM
Perhaps a better idea, more similar to Cleave...

Piercing Shot
With a slicing sound, your arrow passes through your target and into his ally behind him.
Prerequisite: Dex 13, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra ranged attack against another creature within a direct line behind it. The creature retains any relevant cover or concealments due to being behind the original creature. The extra attack is with the same projectile and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
Special: A fighter may select Piercing Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

DracoDei
2009-08-24, 09:40 PM
Regarding the OP(and have probably been ninja'd here): Mechanically it is fine... fluff-wise it seems pretty nonsensical that what happens to a projectile AFTER it leaves the launcher would effect your ability to reload.

NakedCelt
2009-08-24, 09:49 PM
Yes. Fluff-wise, it's nonsense. Cleave means you knock down one opponent, and in the same swing also hit another opponent. Cleaving Reload means you knock down one opponent and... er... somehow that means you're ready with another arrow? What?

I once invented a feat I called "Skewer", whereby you could use a spear or similar piercing weapon in much the way Holocron Coder describes for "Piercing Shot". Go with Piercing Shot.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-24, 10:33 PM
Regarding the OP(and have probably been ninja'd here): Mechanically it is fine... fluff-wise it seems pretty nonsensical that what happens to a projectile AFTER it leaves the launcher would effect your ability to reload.

QFT. It sounds like a viable 4E feat, though; in that ruleset, mechanics are quite divorced from realism. :smallamused:

Mongoose87
2009-08-24, 10:39 PM
I think he's saying that if using a crossbow (let's say light) to attack and to deal enough damage to make it drop (dealing that damage by shooting at it) you can then reload your crossbow and (if BAB allows) shoot another target.

I like Pumpkin Eater's version better.

Person_Man
2009-08-25, 09:25 AM
For your crossbow needs, you need not homebrew:

Find a race with a tail. A Kobold can take the Draconic Tail (Races of the Dragon) feat to get one. Take the Prehensile Tail (Serpant Kingdoms) feat to get 3 hands, which qualifies them for Multi-Weapon Fighting.
Use an Unseen Servant.
Buy a Third Hand (Magic Item Compendium
Fang of Lolth (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20011207)(3.0 material), which eventually gives 2 extra arms. Any of these methods would let you use and reload just 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5) crossbows which you could enchant heavily, instead of dropping crossbows as you used them.
Take Quick Draw. Keep a few dozen crossbows loaded. Draw, fire, drop, repeat.
Reloading enchantment has been rewritten several different times in different splat books. IIRC, the one in the old 3.0 Arms and Equipment guide is the best. But regardless, most DMs will simply just give you the ability to re-load as a free action for a +1ish enhancement, even if both of your hands are full.