PDA

View Full Version : Does Wep. Finesse Work in rage?

Lord of Syntax
2009-08-25, 01:01 AM
i have a barb and i would like to know if WF works in rage? :smallconfused:

Edit: If you have multiple of the same ioun stone, do they stack?

rezplz
2009-08-25, 01:03 AM
Yup. From the section on rage in the PHB:

"He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats."

I mean, it doesn't make SENSE but you could still use finesse when raging.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-25, 01:05 AM
The most fun thing in the world is to make a Dexterity and Charisma focused Barbarian. Just so everyone knows :smallamused:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-25, 01:09 AM
Whirling Frenzy!

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-25, 01:15 AM

In most cases, no. An Ioun stone that gives a bonus usually names the bonus, e.g. "+2 enhancement bonus to Wisdom". Bonuses of the same type do not stack. In the case of the Orange prism, which does not name its bonus, the bonus still does not stack because bonuses from the same source do not stack.

Draz74
2009-08-25, 01:17 AM

Most of them don't -- they either don't gain any benefit from stacking (e.g. Sustain without Food and Water), or they give a typed bonus. Enhancement bonuses or Insight bonuses don't stack with each other, especially when they come from multiple copies of the same Ioun Stone.

The +1 Caster Level stone? Doesn't stack, even though it's an untyped bonus, just because the same "effect" (like "Orange Ioun Stone effect") doesn't work more than once on the same character. The stone that makes you regenerate? Probably the same argument.

Spell-storing and spell-absorbing stones sort of stack, in that you can at least use them independently of each other and get a benefit from doing so.

Eldariel
2009-08-25, 09:06 AM
I want to especially highlight Ferocity (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) Barbarian; they actually make excellent Weapon Finesse fighters.

woodenbandman
2009-08-25, 09:33 AM
I recommend the Streetfighter variant further down the page, because damage reduction is megalame. That or the totem variants in Complete Champion. Or even the totem variants in Unearthed Arcana (I'm fond of Ape and Bear).

Optimystik
2009-08-25, 10:43 AM
Just because you're mad doesn't mean you can't see tendons, arteries and nerve junctions...

Person_Man
2009-08-25, 11:02 AM
As everyone else has already said, yes it works.

However, IMO there is little reason for a Barb to go with Weapon Finesse. You're already getting your Str boosted, even if you do have Ferocity (which boosts Str and Dex instead of Str and Con). You're just throwing away a feat and any hope of being good at Trip, Bull Rush, or Grapple. If you're interested in a Dex based build, play a Skill Monkey.

Lord Loss
2009-08-25, 12:14 PM
C'mon man, haven't you played a rogue/Barbarian? No?

It's fun...

Sneaks up behind kobolds

Kobold 1: She was so ugly...

Kobold 2: Yup.

Barbarian: OMG THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT MY MOM!!! (RAGE + SNEAK ATTACK)

Faleldir
2009-08-25, 02:07 PM
Consider taking Frantic Rage from Faiths of Eberron.
The feat lets you decide whether your rage increases STR or DEX, so with Ferocity, that's a +8!

Skorj
2009-08-25, 02:51 PM
The most fun thing in the world is to make a Dexterity and Charisma focused Barbarian. Just so everyone knows :smallamused:

I really like this idea. I've been looking for an excuse to play a halfling barb for a while now. Now it's even more appealing. :smallbiggrin:

CockroachTeaParty
2009-08-25, 08:33 PM
The Ferocity variant Barbarian is actually pretty sweet. Especially if you want to make an undead barbarian, and have no CON score... it takes some DM diplomacy, but it's the best Zombarian option out there.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-25, 08:40 PM
Since the OP's question has been answered, let's go offtopic.

I seem to recall a build awhile back that centered around amassing huge numbers of ioun stones and using them as a form of artillery, blasting at the enemy en masse. I can't remember how it worked, though. Magic Missile, I think, was involved.