PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing Number of Attacks in a Single Round

Berserk Monk
2009-08-25, 01:21 AM
What's the most attacks you can get off in a single round? And you can't use cleave to attack another opponent. I'm not setting an exact level for this, just anything that allows me to make another attack in the round. I had an idea for a barbarian/ranger that took whirling frenzy and two weapon fighting style, but I need more ways to increase my number of attacks each round. I figured I could pick up some speed weapons. It says they don't stack with the haste spell, but if I wield one on each hand, does that amount to two extra attacks each round (one from each weapon)?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-25, 01:27 AM
I have a character running in the Test of Spite that can get off 18 attacks per turn at level 13.

Uses Telflammar Shadowlord.

Doc Roc
2009-08-25, 01:34 AM
I've seen between 30 and 100. Varies wildly. Sign's has a character who uses some interesting synergistic behavior in throwing PrCs to get around 30-36.

Flickerdart
2009-08-25, 01:37 AM
King of Smack builds use Incarnum and Psychic Warrior to create a massive amount of natural weapon attacks. I've seen 25 attacks with +57 to-hit at 20, or some such.

1d2 Crusader has infinite attacks but that's cheating. So does Lucky Soulbow.

Emy
2009-08-25, 01:39 AM
1,067,212 attacks in a single action (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0).

1d2 Crusader has infinite attacks but that's cheating. So does Lucky Soulbow.

1d2 crusader is infinite damage, but not infinite attacks IIRC. You may be thinking of lightning maces + aptitude kukri + other stuff, which has potential to go infinite.

And I don't believe Lucky Soulbow works that way. A reroll is not second attack.

Eloel
2009-08-25, 01:43 AM
1- Be a Large Race (Anything ranging from Mountain Rage Goliath to Centaur)
2- Take Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Spiked Chain) (Core)
3- Take Whirlwind Attack (Core)
4- Augmented Expansion (9 levels of PW gets 1.5 hours) (XPH)
5- Warblade stance that gives +5 ft range (ToB, can be taken with feats)
6- Teleport/Dimension Door to the middle of enemy army (Core)
7- ...
8- PROFIT! (Something around 350 attacks)

Berserk Monk
2009-08-25, 01:44 AM
Two things I should have said in my first post:

Let's assume the character is a two armed humanoid, not a monster with several arms or other natural attacks.

Please list the book any feats, prestige classes, or magical items are in.

Eloel
2009-08-25, 01:57 AM
1- Be a Large Race (Anything ranging from Mountain Rage Goliath to Centaur)
2- Take Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Spiked Chain) (Core)
3- Take Whirlwind Attack (Core)
4- Augmented Expansion (9 levels of PW gets 1.5 hours) (XPH)
5- Warblade stance that gives +5 ft range (ToB, can be taken with feats)
6- Teleport/Dimension Door to the middle of enemy army (Core)
7- ...
8- PROFIT! (Something around 350 attacks)

A build of this would be;

Goliath LA
Barbarian (EWP) (Dodge, Mobility)
Fighter (Combat Expertise)
Fighter (Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack)
Psiwar
Psiwar
Psiwar (Martial Study(Any Iron Heart))
Psiwar
Psiwar
Psiwar (Martial Study(Any Iron Heart))
Psiwar
Psiwar
Psiwar (Martial Stance(Dancing Blade Form))

With the strength somewhere between High and Uber, and the 4d6 base damage, you'll do around 20 damage average.

Note: Cape of the Mountebank is a great thing to have.

Emy
2009-08-25, 02:12 AM
Two things I should have said in my first post:

Let's assume the character is a two armed humanoid, not a monster with several arms or other natural attacks.

Please list the book any feats, prestige classes, or magical items are in.

Well, as a humanoid, a changeling warshaper can grow a ton of natural attacks. :D

but...

4 attacks. Iterative. - 16 BAB - inherent quality of BAB - SRD
1 extra attack - Flurry of Blows - Monk 1 - SRD
1 extra attack - Whirling Frenzy (rage variant) - Barbarian - SRD
extra weapons tied to hair - Braid Blades - weapon - Dragon Magazine #something
2 extra attacks - Sakkratar's Triple Strike - spell - Lost Empires of Faerun
bite and claws - Bite of the Werebear - spell - Spell Compendium (also gives huge strength)

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-25, 10:39 AM
1 extra attack with each held weapon (max of 2 attacks) - Dancing Mongoose strike, ToB. Requires a Swift Action to use, and you only get 1 of those per turn so it may not stack with other methods of gaining attacks.

A Thousand Cuts - Dervish 10 ability. 1/day, double the number of attacks you make in a full attack action.

I can't help but think you're attempting to make a Zealot Paladin from Diablo II, and that makes me happy. :smallbiggrin:

woodenbandman
2009-08-25, 11:54 AM
Without any extra arms shenaniganry, the number of actual attack rolls gotten off in a round I have managed was like 40. Each of those attacks was doubled with Palm Throw.

Goes sorta like this:

Targetteer Fighter2(2 extra attacks, all attacks at -5),Warblade5/Bloodstorm Blade4/Master Thrower 1/Eternal Blade10 Full TWF line to throw with both hands.

So the calculations go like this; Full attack with both hands, sacrifice all attacks for touch attacks to boost your damage via stormguard warrior. Costs a swift action. Next round, TSS to get 4(BAB) + 3(TWF) +2(Targetteer) +1(Rapid Shot), all doubled (Since you're throwing crescent knives), doubled again since you're of course using TSS. Now if I recall, there was a boomerang feat that allows each throw to affect another opponent as well, so you might as well add that in with weapon aptitude. So that's 80 or so, not to mention Stormguard Warrior. I think that requires you to be a halfling, and if so, axe Eternal Blade (it was just there for Island in Time anyhow).

Of course, it only truly gets silly when you add in the typical response to "most attacks in a round" which is INFINITY111, achieved with Blood in the Water, Lightning Maces, Aptitude Crescent Knives, and roundabout kick. Which basically ends with every attack on average generating another X attacks (each attack you make is quadrupled, and 30% of all attacks create 2 more attacks, each quadrupled, meaning that for every 1 attack you started with you generate another (8 x 0.3), or 2.666.

I somehow get the feeling this would be done better with a Ruby Knight Vindicator, so consider how that would work out and whether or not you can still cram Time Stands Still in there.

If you can possibly cram more into this, and I think you can, with LA buyoff you can be a thri-kreen and bump this up to 160 without going infinite. By the way each attack is actually 2 attacks that share the same attack roll, so make the total 320.

EDIT: This is, of course, chump change compared to the 1,062,000 attacks in a round that has already been achieved.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-25, 04:42 PM
Tornado Throw+Persisted Footsteps of the Divine+any number of enemies+massive grapple check+good Tumble score=massive pile of enemies while you exceed the speed of light.

Enter Chuck, the Ruby Knight Windicator.

Signmaker
2009-08-25, 04:47 PM
I've seen between 30 and 100. Varies wildly. Sign's has a character who uses some interesting synergistic behavior in throwing PrCs to get around 30-36.

And that's just casually. Imagine if I were a thri-keen, or had girallon arms? Or both? o.O

Scary things, man. Scary things.

But yeah. Thirty using just TWF, Improved TWF, and Rapid Shot.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-25, 05:11 PM
Lightning Maces, Aptitude Crescent Knives, and roundabout kick.
How are you qualifying for activation of lightning maces and roundabout kick with thrown knives? (Feats require maces and unarmed strikes respectively.)

Kelpstrand
2009-08-25, 05:17 PM
If anyone knows of an Exotic bow with a 18-20 crit range I can hit infinite with Aptitude + Splitting + Keen + Lightning Mace + one of the crit expanders that stacks.

Emy
2009-08-25, 05:21 PM
How are you qualifying for activation of lightning maces and roundabout kick with thrown knives? (Feats require maces and unarmed strikes respectively.)

1) Read the Aptitude weapon enhancement description in Tome of Battle.
2) Laugh maniacally.

quick_comment
2009-08-25, 05:21 PM
The aptitude weapon enhancement lets you pretend they are maces.

sofawall
2009-08-25, 05:58 PM
If anyone knows of an Exotic bow with a 18-20 crit range I can hit infinite with Aptitude + Splitting + Keen + Lightning Mace + one of the crit expanders that stacks.

No you can't. If you look at the math, it looks sort of infinite, until you realize that the longer you go on, the chances of rolling a huge string of ones approaches 1.

Signmaker
2009-08-25, 06:01 PM
No you can't. If you look at the math, it looks sort of infinite, until you realize that the longer you go on, the chances of rolling a huge string of ones approaches 1.

Doesn't missing entirely with a threat range number also cancel out lightning mace? Was never sure about that.

sofawall
2009-08-25, 06:15 PM
No, you don't need a crit, you just need a threat.

Signmaker
2009-08-25, 06:25 PM
But threats numbers can still miss though, and thus not be a 'threat'.

lsfreak
2009-08-25, 06:38 PM
But threats numbers can still miss though, and thus not be a 'threat'.

But it still spawns additional attacks. Nothing about Lightning Maces says you have to hit, only that you have to make a critical threat.
EDIT: I can see where you're coming from though, and off the top of my head I can't think of any rules that explicitly state either way. I'm sure someone will come along and correct me. But in my mind, it's still a threat whether or not it hit.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-25, 06:41 PM
Regardless Sofawall is right, the expected number of attacks is large but not infinite.

quick_comment
2009-08-25, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the law of large numbers means that eventually, you will roll a sequence of 1s long enough to kill the attack chain.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-25, 06:46 PM
Yeah, the strong law of large numbers means that eventually, you will roll a sequence of 1s long enough to kill the attack chain.Find a way for nat 1s to count as 20s, though, and that doesn't happen. I think CS had a feat that did it.

Geddoe
2009-08-25, 06:53 PM

Not really, since the lightning mace feat requires you to be wielding two of the same weapon, even with aptitude.

olentu
2009-08-25, 06:57 PM
Find a way for nat 1s to count as 20s, though, and that doesn't happen. I think CS had a feat that did it.

Unfortunately the better lucky than good feat from complete scoundrel only works once per day.

tyckspoon
2009-08-25, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately the better lucky than good feat from complete scoundrel only works once per day.

You can be covered for another fail if you make one of your Luck feat prerequisites Fortuitous Strike, which lets you spend two luck rerolls to reroll an attack. The other Luck feat can be.. oh, Lucky Start, I guess. Which can be useful on its own- lets you reroll initiative- but is mostly chosen because it doesn't have any prereqs of its own. Burns lots and lots of feats, tho.

sentaku
2009-08-25, 07:17 PM

I don't have the book but do you need to use it the first time you roll a one or can use use it whenever? If it's whenever it can still give you a huge boost in the number of attacks you get provided that you wait to use it for when you roll the last 1 you need to stop.

Really the answer comes down to how many attacks does it take to kill everything, because after that you have nothing to attack. Well unless you decide to attack the planet. Though I'm not sure breaking the planet your standing on is such a good idea. Though it might make for an interesting background.

sofawall
2009-08-25, 07:23 PM
Small question...

When reading over Dragon 275 again, I noticed a weapon called a Scourge. It gives 3 attacks to the Crescent Knives 2.

So why do people use the Crescent Knife?

lsfreak
2009-08-25, 07:32 PM
My completely uneducated guess: crescent knives are thrown and can therefore be doubled with master thrower's palm throw (CWar).

sofawall
2009-08-25, 07:42 PM
They have no Range Increment.

ColdSepp
2009-08-25, 07:45 PM
They have no Range Increment.

Thats why they go Bloodstorm Blade.

Kelpstrand
2009-08-25, 09:03 PM
1) Lightning Mace: You can wield two bows by polymorphing an Arrow Demon.

2) All threats automatically hit.

3) Level 2 spell makes all threats automatically crit anyway.

4) Yes, the number is theoretically not infinite, but rather very large. None the less, more than 50% of hits proc, and each proc generates two attacks, you'll kill everything within 1500ft of you before you run out of attacks.

lsfreak
2009-08-25, 09:31 PM
Wait, why? I know of stuff that makes threats auto-crit, but nothing that makes them auto-hit.

Cieyrin
2009-08-25, 09:36 PM
Threats are not auto-hits. Rolling a natural 20 is an auto-hit that also happens to be crit threat.

3) Level 2 spell makes all threats automatically crit anyway.
Dolorous Blow is Level 3, actually.