PDA

View Full Version : Kev's Lounge Open Door Standees

BraveSirKevin
2009-08-25, 08:14 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dUvnPNxt2_U/Snb_xv-fcQI/AAAAAAAAAK8/q_LHIsHdFHc/s400/Behind+the+Door.png

Kev's Lounge Free "Simple Wooden" Open Dungeon Door Standees (http://kevslounge.blogspot.com/2009/08/free-open-dungeon-door-standees-for-use.html)

in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118656) a few people commented about the doors being closed, so I went and made these open versions. Let me know what you think!

shadzar
2009-08-25, 10:26 AM
Crazy idea.....a door way. Yup just a doorway. Put doors in them that can be cut out. Steal, wooden, etc.

Insert toothpick through doorway and add whichever door you need, and just open or close the door as needed.

Conserves the space needed to print out the doors many times by just having the door fold around a toothpick and insert whichever door into the doorway.

Only problem with this might be cell doors, or other bar type doors like portcullises.

Still good doors. Not sure why people couldn't make open doors from the closed ones anyway but...

BraveSirKevin
2009-08-26, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the compliment :)

Truth is I couldn't find a way to make doors that were openable, easy to make, attractive to look at AND strong enough to last more than a couple games. Small moving parts made of paper are kinda fiddly, but doing it this way has worked out pretty well at my games table. I will probably return to the doors issue at some point, but I'm working on other things right now.

shadzar
2009-08-27, 12:33 AM
:smalleek: Some people download and use for free your artwork for cheap terrain made from paper, and they worry and complain that the paper doesn't last long! They should demand their money back. :smallconfused:

It is free 3d terrain that only requires printing, so why worry what random internet people are bothered with closed doors. If they can print the doors to use, they can figure out how to make an open door. No need for you to put extra effort into since you are giving it away free. It isn't like you are WotC and took any money from these people.

BraveSirKevin
2009-08-28, 11:59 AM
Haha Shadzar... :smallbiggrin: you really are championing this cause!

I really just want to make a good quality product. In the end I want something that's useful to me, and these open doors have already gotten a lot of use at my own games table, where they've proven to be very useful. I like to believe they've added as much to the games hosted by the others who've downloaded them.

Incidentally, has anyone tried making an opening door from the original set?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-28, 11:59 AM
Interesting product. Really stands out.

shadzar
2009-08-28, 12:47 PM
Incidentally, has anyone tried making an opening door from the original set?

:smallfrown: I am still just downloading them all when you update with something new. Still haven't got any color ink for my printer yet cause I can't afford anything beyond the basic black needed.

Got tons of 110 lb bond paper left from other things, just no color ink to use on it to make any of these things. :smallfurious:

What do you consider an opening door? One that works and can be closed, or just convert a closed door to an open one?

Don't get me wrong the new doors are good, but some things are just silly when it comes to simple paper models. A pair of scissors and a closed door becomes an open one easy and you just print another closed door.

I recall HeroQuest didn't even have the "door" in the open doors, but was just an arch so the door didn't get torn off. Maybe I am just spoiled by those doors (darn things too small for use with DDM....). :smallconfused:

BraveSirKevin
2009-08-28, 09:36 PM
Interesting product. Really stands out.

Thanks Pharoah... I do try:smallsmile:

Still haven't got any color ink for my printer yet cause I can't afford anything beyond the basic black needed.

I feel your pain on the ink... I recently purchased a papercraft ship model and it was gorgeous, but the guy who designed it had a passion for the colour yellow so by the time I was halfway through I had a cartridge filled with cyan and magenta but useless for the lack of yellow and had to purchase a new one :smallannoyed: Tried to keep my tiles' pallette fairly neutral so that it doesn't devour colours wholesale, so if you do manage to get a colour cartridge you should be able to get all of it printed without running out of ink

What do you consider an opening door? One that works and can be closed, or just convert a closed door to an open one?

Yeah... just wondering if anyone's tried it. Haven't given it a go with this set, but I've done it with other papercraft scenery and it just seemed to wear out very quickly. Not sure it'd work out too well with these anyway, there's a little perspective on the door and there's a shadow across the top cast by the lintel, so when it's open it may look kinda weird.:smallbiggrin: