PDA

View Full Version : Fencing style feats P.E.A.C.H.

Boci
2009-08-25, 10:52 AM
Just some new feats I came up with when I was planning a fencing match.

Deceptive Blade:
Preq: Combat expertise, Improved feint
Benefit: Bluff becomes a class skill. If it already was a class skill, you instead gain a +2 on bluff checks when using the skill to feint.
Additionally, when you threaten a critical hit against a target rendered flat footed by your feint attempt, the critical is automatically confirmed and the blade stays in the wound. Your next attack automatically deals damage as you pull the blade free, widening the wound in the process, provided your next attack if performed in the same round and you do not move during the two attacks. Since you do not roll to attack, you cannot score a critical hit on that one attack. If you threaten on a critical, but you attack roll is not enough to hit your opponent then you do not gain the benefit of this feat. Additionally, the damage on the next round cannot be increased by feats that require charging or power attack, although such attack options could be used on the first attack.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats.

Greater Feint:
Preq: Combat expertise, Improved feint, BAB: +3
Benefit: You can feint as a swift action. In addition, you can add half your BAB to your feint attempts.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats

Superior Feint:
Preq: Combat expertise, Improved feint, Greater feint, BAB: +6
Benefit: You can feint as a free action, but only once before each attack. In addition, you can add your full BAB to your feint attempts.

Swift Strike:
Preq: Improved initiative
Benefit: You deal an extra 1d8 damage against flatfooted targets.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats. This feat does not treat you as possessing SA or SS for the purpose of meeting the requirements for prestige classes or other feats.

Twist and Turn (Style):
Preq: Combat expertise, Improved faint, Weapon focus (any one handed or light weapon)
Benefit: When wielding a light or one handed weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand, you gain a +2 bonus on the attack roll immediately after a feint attempt, whether the attempt was successful or not. Additionally, when you hit a target rendered flatfooted by your feint attempt, you gain concealment against that creature for 1 round, as your spinning weapon deflects his attacks.

Stunning Blade Sweep:
Preq: Improved initiative, Swift strike, Power attack, BAB: +11
Benefit: As a full round action, you may perform a stunning blade sweep. You take two 5ft steps in a straight line towards the target and make an attack. The target is considered flatfooted. If the attack hits, you deal double damage and the target must make a reflex save (DC: 10 + half your character level + your strength modifier) or fall prone.
On a critical hit the target falls prone without a save and must make a fortitude save at the same DC or be stunned for 1 round.
If you cannot take two 5ft steps in a straight line towards the target, you cannot perform a stunning blade sweep.

Decapitating Blade Sweep:
Preq: Improved initiative, Swift strike, Power attack, Stunning Blade Sweep, BAB: +15
Benefit: As a full round action, you may perform a decapitating blade sweep. This manoeuvre is similar to stunning blade sweep, with the following differences:
You can opt to take thee 5ft steps in a straight line instead of two. If you do so, you gain a +2 to hit and a -2 to AC, but no other benefits of charging.
On a hit, you deal triple damage and the target falls prone. Additionally they must make a fortitude save (DC: 12 + half your character level + your strength modifier) or be stunned for 1 round.
If the attack is a critical hit, the target is knocked prone and dazed for 1 round and must make a fort save or be paralyzed for 1 round.
If you cannot take two (or three) 5ft steps in a straight line towards the target, you cannot perform a decapitating blade sweep.

Reckless Twirl:
Preq: Combat reflexes
Benefit: Once per round as a free action, you may re-roll a missed melee attack against a different adjacent creature. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your first target.

Fatal Flaw:
Preq: Dex 13, Spot 1 rank
Benefit: If an opponent adjacent to you rolls a natural one on an attack against you, you can make an AoO against them. If the attack hit, you may make a disarm attempt against them with a -5 penalty. If the attempt fails, your opponent cannot attempt to disarm you. If the AoO is a critical hit you may ignore the -5 penalty on the disarm attempt.
Special: Fatal flaw counts as combat reflexes for the purpose of meeting the requirements of other feats and prestige classes. A fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats.

Waargh!
2009-08-25, 11:22 AM
Deceptive Blade is a bit unclear on the "blade stays in the wound". I mean if the character moves, what becomes of the blade? But of course I guess this is just flavor text.
The thing is that the "next attack deals damage" might be too powerful with the power-attack+combat expertise feat, since you don't care about attack roll

Greater feint and superior feint should require a higher BAB. Probably +6 and +12?

Liked the fatal flaw feat :)

Boci
2009-08-25, 11:53 AM
Deceptive Blade is a bit unclear on the "blade stays in the wound". I mean if the character moves, what becomes of the blade? But of course I guess this is just flavor text.
The thing is that the "next attack deals damage" might be too powerful with the power-attack+combat expertise feat, since you don't care about attack roll

Cleared up the feat.

Greater feint and superior feint should require a higher BAB. Probably +6 and +12?

I'm not sure about this. A rogue can already auto SA by flanking and there are feats to improve it and people without SA or SS would not gain much from it. So the question is, is there class or prestidge class with SS that was balanced with the assumption that it cannot gain its extra damage on every attack easily? Ninja's underpowered so no problem there and off the top of my head as far as PrC go, scorpion wraith (from a Xendrik supplament book), dread fang of lolth (from drows of the underdark) and shadowblade (from ToM) have SS, so I will need to check whether these become OP with these feats.

Liked the fatal flaw feat :)

Thanks.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-25, 06:30 PM
I'll comment more later, but...well...I have one problem, thematically.

Most of these feats (with the possible exceptions of Twist and Turn and the definite exceptions of the Feint line and Fatal Flaw) are based on mostly impractical movie moves, not on the sort of thing you'd find in an actual fencing match, or a duel between masters.

That said, I'll still comment...and I may well submit a few of my own based on my fencing experiences.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-25, 08:07 PM
Most of these feats (with the possible exceptions of Twist and Turn and the definite exceptions of the Feint line and Fatal Flaw) are based on mostly impractical movie moves, not on the sort of thing you'd find in an actual fencing match, or a duel between masters.

Well, it is a thread about fencing style feats, and these are nothing if not visually stylish. :smallwink: Heck, realistically speaking sword-and-board is superior to TWF or THF, but mechanically it sucks, so taking a sharp left turn away from realism is the usual procedure.

Boci
2009-08-26, 04:46 AM
I'll comment more later, but...well...I have one problem, thematically.

Yes, well sadly my entire fencing expirience was 3 weeks long in a feoriegn country were I could not speak the language. I understand not all these feats are true of real life fencing. I tend to define fencing of anything that is not TWF, TH or S&B, i.e. wielding a single weapon that is not a two handed weapon (I know some of these feats can be taken by the other types of fighters, but they suit fencers best)

That said, I'll still comment...and I may well submit a few of my own based on my fencing experiences.

Thanks, I eagerly await them.

Boci
2009-08-29, 04:32 PM
I've looked over some PrC that grant sudden strike. Since I cannot find any that grant a significant amount of bonus feats I do not feel they would become over powered by the feint enhancing feats. It takes 4 feats to feint as a free action.

Rainbownaga
2009-08-31, 04:28 AM
Was it Smee from Peter pan that called his sword "corkscrew"?

Because, when he stuck it into someone he liked to twist it around a bit.

If it was good enough for a lord, it's good enough for me.

Boci
2009-08-31, 11:55 AM
Was it Smee from Peter pan that called his sword "corkscrew"?

Because, when he stuck it into someone he liked to twist it around a bit.

If it was good enough for a lord, it's good enough for me.

Thats a decent idea for a feat, but there are already ways to do this. Any extra damage can be interpreted as a twist of the blade, and scewer foe from CoR pretty much does that. However, I think I'll re-write deceptive blade style to do this. That should helps clarify things.