PDA

View Full Version : Storeing immovable rods

Reptar
2009-08-25, 10:53 AM
An Immovable rod is an amazing piece of adventuring gear, but it's limited to only an innumerable amount of uses. The fact that it takes a move action to activate or deactivate the device is it's greatest limiting factor.
Thus the question is could a player replace the move action with a free action through the use of a glove of storing or something similar.

Also what crazy ideas can you come up with if this does work.
I'm envisioning using the sky as an infinite set of monkey bars.
Or the more mundane instant hammock.

FMArthur
2009-08-25, 11:28 AM
An Immovable rod is an amazing piece of adventuring gear, but it's limited to only an innumerable amount of uses.

ಠ_ಠ

The fact that it takes a move action to activate or deactivate the device is it's greatest limiting factor.
Thus the question is could a player replace the move action with a free action through the use of a glove of storing or something similar.

Also what crazy ideas can you come up with if this does work.
I'm envisioning using the sky as an infinite set of monkey bars.
Or the more mundane instant hammock.

Well, if your idea works it doesn't change what you can do with the immovable rods, just how fast you do it. I think Gloves of Storing works though. It really would be fun to play with free action Immovable Rods in combat.

Muad'dib
2009-08-25, 11:50 AM
Sky Shimmy:

Take two gloves of storing, two immovable rods, and sovereign glue. Glue one rod to the palm of each glove and turn them on. Shimmy up to the sky by alternately dismissing and calling one rod then the other while moving them skyward. Instant insanity ladder.

Random832
2009-08-25, 12:05 PM
A glove of storing works by shrinking the object and placing it in a pocket in the glove, not by putting it in an extradimensional space.

Also, you can't wear two gloves of storing by RAW

But anyway, if you want to go up into the sky, why not just use a Rope of Flying - er, i mean of Climbing - for that?

Reptar
2009-08-25, 04:20 PM
A glove of storing works by shrinking the object and placing it in a pocket in the glove, not by putting it in an extradimensional space.

Also, you can't wear two gloves of storing by RAW

But anyway, if you want to go up into the sky, why not just use a Rope of Flying - er, i mean of Climbing - for that?

1 You're probably right, but wouldn't putting them in stasis make them inert?

2 I don't see why you couldn't buy a glove of storing twice and then wear two of them, unless I missed the part that said you had to dress like Micheal Jackson. Did I?

3 Does the rope of climbing work like that? I always thought it worked like the rod of ropes and had to be attached to something to support more than it's own weight.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-25, 04:37 PM
2 I don't see why you couldn't buy a glove of storing twice and then wear two of them, unless I missed the part that said you had to dress like Micheal Jackson. Did I?It's clarified somewhere that a Glove of Storing takes up the 'hands' body slot on it's own, meaning you can only get one. You could custom-make a Bracer of Storing that does the same thing but takes up a different slot, but you'd still look like MJ.

Reptar
2009-08-25, 05:54 PM
Some body slots are described as a matched pair of body parts. If an item uses one of these body slots, it takes up both “halves” of the body slot even if worn on only one of the pair. For example, a glove of storing takes up the entire hands body slot, even though it’s only one glove.

is there any way to have two gloves and swap between them? you only need one active at a time.
probably not.

sofawall
2009-08-25, 05:54 PM
An Immovable rod is an amazing piece of adventuring gear, but it's limited to only an innumerable amount of uses.

ಠ_ಠI am typing a few more characters...

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-25, 05:56 PM
The best thing you can do with a bunch of immovable rods is build a gazebo out of them.

sofawall
2009-08-25, 06:16 PM
The best thing you can do with a bunch of immovable rods is build a gazebo out of them.

:cookie: Stupid character limit

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-25, 06:30 PM
1 You're probably right, but wouldn't putting them in stasis make them inert?

2 I don't see why you couldn't buy a glove of storing twice and then wear two of them, unless I missed the part that said you had to dress like Micheal Jackson. Did I?

3 Does the rope of climbing work like that? I always thought it worked like the rod of ropes and had to be attached to something to support more than it's own weight.

1 You're not putting them in stasis, you're shrinking them and putting them in a pocket.

2 You should be able to buy two and wear two, but you can't use two. If not by RAW, then just by "Why the hell can't I, give me a good reason" style RAI houserule.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-25, 08:44 PM
Regarding the gloves of storing, the 3.0 DMG says "Although it is handy to have two of these gloves, the creation process yields only one," implying that it's possible to use two but you don't buy them as a matched pair. I don't know what the 3.5 DMG has to say on the matter, since I don't have one and use just the SRD, so take that as you will.

Godskook
2009-08-25, 08:51 PM
Side note:
A friend of mine recently told me about immovable rods a rogue of his used to own. They sadly were lost one day when he failed a will save and was convinced that there was gold directly above him, to the comical reaction that he began climbing skyward at a feverish pace. Eventual, the effect wore off, and he started climbing down, making an insane number of strength checks in the process. He eventually fell, but from a non-fatal height. His rods were stuck in the sky, never to be reclaimed.
------------
I mused on this for a while, and have decided, in a game I DM, I'm going to have a dead dragon hanging from mid-air, skewered on a immovable rod. I'm curious what the PCs will do to that.

Strawman
2009-08-25, 09:00 PM
Quick use of the immovable rod makes a great shield against something like bull rush.

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-25, 09:06 PM
I have always played that when a glove or a gauntlet came solo, that you could have two of said item, as you have two hands. I don't believe that RAW counters that.

Cieyrin
2009-08-25, 09:21 PM
As mentioned above from the Rules Compendium, eternal enemy of gloves of storing, single magical gloves or gauntlets take up the entire hands slot, so unfortunately you can't use two gloves of storing to do things like monkey bar through the air or dual-wield light or hand crossbows to do iterative attacks by popping them in and out so you have an empty hand to reload the other. It's obviously broken, so WotC "fixed" it. :smallannoyed:

Darrin
2009-08-25, 09:59 PM
Try a Kimono of Storing, Oriental Adventures p. 141. Each sleeve can hold an item. Also note that the Official Errata did not change the 4400 GP price tag, although the 3.5 Update in Dragon #318 upped it to 20000 GP. So if your DM won't allow Dragon material... well, that's one heck of a discount.