PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Advice for a Warblade6/Bloodclaw Master3

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-25, 12:20 PM
So, I decided I really liked the idea of making tons of attacks, and adding dice/using high damage maneuvers when DR would normally screw a TWF character. I also really like ToB, so I was set on that. I'm playing this character currently in a campaign, dual-wielding kukris with Improved Critical and Blood in the Water stance for lots of fun.

My question is, what should my next few levels be? I'm not super impressed with Bloodclaw Master 4 and 5 for +1 to hit with Tiger Claw strikes, 1 more maneuver known, Scent which can be gotten with a lvl 1 stance, and Rending Claws. Should I go back to Warblade or is there some other PrC that might work? I love the Dervish class but am nowhere near the prereqs on it. Current feats are Weapon Focus (Kukri), TWF, Vital Recovery, TWD, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Spec. (Kukri), Improved Crit (Kukri). Oh and he's human.

Elfin
2009-08-25, 12:27 PM
First things first: do not, for any reason, continue the Weapon Spec/Focus Line.
For any reason at all.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-25, 12:32 PM
I would pick up melee weapon mastery or what ever it is.. more statick bonuses the better.

Eldariel
2009-08-25, 12:34 PM
First things first: do not, for any reason, continue the Weapon Spec/Focus Line.
For any reason at all.

Absolutely pick up Melee Weapon Mastery [PHBII]. If you don't, all those feats are wasted. I'd retrain Improved Critical for it if possible; you'll get Imp. Crit easily from Scabbard of Keen Edges eventually anyways.

Also, Warblade levels, yeah. And take a look at Stormguard Warrior. It's pretty good for TWFers and you qualify for it; you can even take it with bonus feats (you get a bonus warblade feat on level 9 so taking 3 more levels of Warblade now would get you Ironheart Aura + Stormguard Warrior on 12).

Draz74
2009-08-25, 12:36 PM
Go back to Warblade. Or, if you really like Dervishes, switch to Swordsage and aim for things like Desert Tempest (L6 Desert Wind strike) and Time Stands Still (L9 Diamond Mind strike).

Either of these base classes will be a lot more productive than any PrC you cold take.

EDIT: Hmmm, I guess continuing in Warblade will actually get you Time Stands Still a lot faster than Swordsage would. You can still switch to Swordsage if you really want the Dervish style, though. Desert Wind and Setting Sun have some pretty Dervish-feeling tricks.

And oh yeah, Eldariel's suggestion of Stormguard Warrior is excellent for a TWFer. On the other hand, I disagree with retraining Improved Critical. It's better than Scabbard of Keen Edges for several reasons ... especially if you can pick up a Sacred Scabbard (MIC). Sacred Scabbard can make you auto-confirm all critical threats, but it doesn't stack with Keen effects (but does stack with Improved Critical).

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-25, 12:59 PM
I also disagree with retraining Improved Critical. I've seen people talk about the Scabbard of Keen Edges like it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I prefer something that is always on and this way I got to spend my gold on making both of my weapons magical. If I magically find one later, then I'll consider the retrain.

Holy crap I can't believe I forgot Melee Weapon Mastery. Looking through the PHB2 got me thinking about Combat Acrobat for staying on my feet and ignoring difficult terrain, both of which are really nice for a mobile character like this.

As for Stormguard Warrior, I'd have to retrain to add another Iron Heart maneuver (only one I know is Punishing Stance) but it definitely has possibilities.

Looks like Warblade it is, then. :) Thanks for all the input so far guys, keep it coming!

woodenbandman
2009-08-25, 05:32 PM
For the future, absolutely pick up Wolf Pack Tactics. getting free movement is always awesome. I also suggest getting Evasive Reflexes + Robilar's Gambit combo to get out of being beaten up free.

Eldariel
2009-08-25, 06:52 PM
Iron Heart Focus (save rerolls...for real, you need to reroll those), Iron Heart Endurance (free healing to quite a bit over half your HP!) & Iron Heart Surge (Get Out Of Many Jails For Free-card that has about as many interpretations going around as you have players in the world - clarify with your DM on what it does first) are all great options. Also, I never make Warblades without Wall of Blades. That's just too excellent to pass up on as your attacks are practically always better than your AC.

You don't really need to retrain anything (although I suppose retraining your lowest level maneuver to one is better plan than spending a new maneuver on one of the "secondary" picks), but you can use your future picks on one too. As said, Iron Heart has an incredible number of solid picks so I can't see you being sorry for your choice either way.

Elfin
2009-08-25, 07:48 PM
Wall of Blades really is excellent.

Wings of Peace
2009-08-25, 08:30 PM
It's a bit of an investment but if I recall correctly Weapon Master from Sword and Fist at seventh level further increases your critical threat range should you want to pursue that route.

Darrin
2009-08-25, 08:45 PM
My question is, what should my next few levels be? I'm not super impressed with Bloodclaw Master 4 and 5 for +1 to hit with Tiger Claw strikes, 1 more maneuver known, Scent which can be gotten with a lvl 1 stance, and Rending Claws.

You don't need BCM 4 or 5, you have everything you need from it. For now, just stick with Warblade. If you want to multiclass further, just keep in mind that you can take 6 non-Martial Adept levels and still get 9th level maneuvers.

If you're looking for dips, then you might want to consider:

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1 for Pounce. Add Leading the Charge and Travel Devotion for 10 rounds of pure murder.
Swashbuckler 3. If you have a high Int, this adds your Int bonus to damage.
Totemist 2. Add a variety of natural attacks as secondary attacks to your full attack routine.

I love the Dervish class but am nowhere near the prereqs on it.

You can get everything cool about the Dervish PrC by picking up two feats instead: Oversize TWF and Travel Devotion. With Bounding Assault or Pouncing Charge, there isn't anything a Dervish can do that a Warblade can't do better, more often, and without fatigue.

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-26, 03:45 PM
@Woodenbandman: I don't know if I want to avoid getting beaten up, since I'm one of the two tanks in the party and the other is a Warforged so it's tougher to heal him. I'll definitely consider Wolf Pack Tactics though.

@Eldariel: Yeah I knew that Iron Heart had some good stuff, I just ended up focused on Tiger Claw since it had lots of good TWF stuff. I'll consider some retrains and/or picking up more Iron Heart as I go. Also, I have no idea how I missed Wall of Blades. That's going on my list of known/readied as soon as I can get it there.

@Cloury: I don't think Weapon Master is 3.5 legal anymore.

@Darrion: I'm definitely considering Lion Totem Barbarian. Swashbuckler won't work. My Int is only 12, so a 3 level dip to get Int to damage all the while losing out on some HP and maneuvers known isn't going to be good enough. I definitely see the use in Totemist, but really at this point I'm thinking just straight Warblade for the rest of my levels. One of the nice things from Dervish is the ability to take 10 on Tumble checks, meaning that with a +15 modifier you can tumble your speed and be immune to AoOs from one opponent per turn. I'd love to know if there's a feat somewhere I can take to do that. :)

Thanks again everybody, I have some great ideas for later levels now.

Darrin
2009-08-26, 04:44 PM
One of the nice things from Dervish is the ability to take 10 on Tumble checks, meaning that with a +15 modifier you can tumble your speed and be immune to AoOs from one opponent per turn. I'd love to know if there's a feat somewhere I can take to do that. :)

Elusive Dance (http://www.realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Elusive_Dance,all).

Also, tumbling past/through opponents is a fixed DC (unless you're playing with house rules). Once you get up high enough levels and have a few bonuses from items, the ability to take 10 becomes pretty meaningless.