PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Feat Granting Item Craft

Bagel
2009-08-25, 02:53 PM
Ok I am just wondering if there are set in stone rules and prices for crafting a wondrous item that grants the user a feat.

more specifically a reserve feat

the concept behind it is is a prodd (DR 349) that grants the wielder a reserve feat like invisible needle so ammunition is optional

if possible...

or as an alternative (Much more expensive) a "no slot" item kind of like how knowstones grants more spells known.

If such rules don't exist, then what would be a balanced way, price to make it possible?

Starbuck_II
2009-08-25, 03:08 PM
Usually, they follow a formula: but it isn't a established formula. You'd only get it by reverse engineering.

Feats that grant stuff without preqs cost more than ones that require them.
Exceptions are Balanced Hand gloves (granting TWfing/GTWF) in Magic Compendruim.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 03:11 PM
The first rule for pricing any new magic item is to compare it to existing items. I've assembled a list of items granting feats, with the costs of the feats extracted where possible, here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html).

Failing that, there's a guideline of 10,000 gp for any feat, plus an additional cost of 5,000 gp to 10,000 gp for each prerequisite feat, on page 128 of Arms and Equipment Guide.

Bagel
2009-08-25, 03:20 PM
Usually, they follow a formula: but it isn't a established formula. You'd only get it by reverse engineering.

Feats that grant stuff without preqs cost more than ones that require them.
Exceptions are Balanced Hand gloves (granting TWfing/GTWF) in Magic Compendruim.

all the reserve feats have a "ability to cast # level spells"

i would want this to remain as such

also i would want them to be class specific

to better perpetuate my idea, consider it as a collection of stones/weapons that were made by a collection of warlocks and sorcerers to create items to grant the sorcerer access to an at-will unlimited (conditional) spell, or to give warlock something else besides eldrich blast to the same effect.

if someone wants to volunteer to give example, that would be nice, if not just point me in the right direction

Bagel
2009-08-25, 03:29 PM
The first rule for pricing any new magic item is to compare it to existing items. I've assembled a list of items granting feats, with the costs of the feats extracted where possible, here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/feats.html).

Failing that, there's a guideline of 10,000 gp for any feat, plus an additional cost of 5,000 gp to 10,000 gp for each prerequisite feat, on page 128 of Arms and Equipment Guide.

Hmm 10,000 base is a good start

precious stone with a value of 1,000x level of required spell ability to cover the prerequisites since they aren't feat prereqs

sorcerer/warlock only 10% discount of total

that would result in a Stone of Invisible Needle cost : 11,700gp

reasonable or no?