PDA

View Full Version : how would you make this 3.5

darthpower
2009-08-25, 06:23 PM
I was wondering is there a way to make a none magical inventor in D&D 3.5 any books you can think of feats, classes, or skills, really any ideas at all are welcome

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-25, 06:32 PM
The closest you can get without home brew is the Artificer from the Eberron Campaign Setting, but that is far from non-magical.

There's a trapsmith PrC in Dungeonscape that comes close, but it isn't exactly powerful.

quick_comment
2009-08-25, 06:34 PM
Gnomish Artificer in Magic of Faerun can make some non-magical items, and at higher levels, some partially magical items.

Also, you could fluff factotum from dungeonscape as people like batman - they always have the right device for the situation.

sadi
You mean like a tinker gnome from dragonlance?

PinkysBrain
Iron Kingdoms and WoW D20 have tinkerer classes.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-25, 06:57 PM
Do'nt forget Dragonmech.

Steamborg and the other inventor dude invent stuff.

Korivan
2009-08-25, 07:05 PM
STEAM PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its from Legends % Lairs - Sorcery and Steam. B ut it works for d20

Farlion
2009-08-26, 04:01 AM
Profession (Inventor)

Profession (Tinker)

Profession (Mad Scientist)

Profession (McGyver)

???

Craft (anything)

???

Just go with the flow :smallbiggrin:

Cheers,
Farlion

Hawriel
2009-08-26, 04:19 AM
I would use a rogue or the expert class. Use alot of craft and knowledge skills. Then use my imagination about making things with real tools and materials. Inventing comes from innate creativity, inteligents and need.

bosssmiley
2009-08-26, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately in the D&D world (and rules) magic is the dominant technology. If you want a a character's abilities to be meaningful above about 6th level they'll have to emulate magical abilities in some way. The easiest way to do that is to change the fluff on the effects.

If you want something a little more involved than 'wizard in a labcoat' you could:

Add some d20 Modewrn elements.

Look up the Techno class (http://jrients.blogspot.com/2008/09/deconstruction-of-techno.html) from the Arduin setting. It's old D&D, but you should be able to adapt it to 3E easily enough.

Try and adapt the almost unworkable Tinker Gnome class tech rules from Dragonlance Adventures (caveat: these were designed to produce terrible Rube Goldberg machines).

Or you could fix alchemy (http://vaultsofnagoh.blogspot.com/2009/03/alchemy-revisited-or-they-call-me-mr.html) so that non-magical people get to play with quasi-magical effects.

sofawall
2009-08-26, 11:14 AM
none magical inventor

You know, until I started reading the replies, I had no clue what this meant...

Anyway, non-magic is hard. I like Eberron's style, where they use magic as technology, researching new ways to do cool stuff with magic.