PDA

View Full Version : Limmy's Anime Review: Project A-Ko

Limerence
2009-08-25, 06:42 PM
Project A-ko

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4425/projectakogroup.jpg

Posted by Fandago.com
This animated sci-fi adventure-comedy from Japan concerns A-ko, a schoolgirl with super-human powers whose friendship with the friendly but intellectually challenged C-ko is threatened when rich brat B-ko decides that she wants C-ko to be friends with her -- and no one else. A-ko finds herself attacked by giant robots, angry aliens, and female bodybuilders doing B-ko's bidding as the fight escalates to cosmic proportions. When not dealing with B-ko's lousy temper, A-ko also tries to help find an alien princess stranded on Earth. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

Director: Katsuhiko Nishijima

Music: Richie Zito, Joey Carbone

Art: Yuji Moriyama

Voices -

http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/thumbs/ako1235t.jpg
A-ko Magami
E - Stacey Gregg
J - Miki Ito

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7656/ckoimage.jpg
C-ko Kotobuki
E - Julia Brahms
J - Michie Tomizawa

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/bko3.jpg
B-ko Daitokuji
E - Denica Fairman
J - Emi Shinohara

Music

"Dance Away"
Lyrics - Joey Carbone, Richie Zito
Arrangement - Richie Zito
Vocals - Annie Livingstone

"Follow Your Dream"
Vocals - Valerie Stevenson

"In Your Eyes"
Vocals - Samantha Newark

Review -

Story - 8/10
Art - 10/10
Music - 9/10
Acting - 7/10

Project A-ko was awesome and is a must-see for any Otaku. I think A-ko is what started the entire School Girl genre. If I'm wrong, someone correct me. The story itself is kind of flat and typical. But you have to understand, Project A-ko was supposed to be a parody of all the anime of the 70's and 80's. I think Project A-ko was the Excel Saga of the 80's.

What really got me was when I found out that Project A-ko was originally supposed to be a yuri / lesbian hentai. Then they decided to make it a mainstream project.

I'd have to say that I really appreciate the art. I'm fond of most art of the 80's and early 90's. When I first saw Project A-ko I was seven years old. I wasn't watching it for the story -- plus at the time I wouldn't have been able to understand it -- I was fascinated with the imagery. At that time you'd never find any American cartoons that were that well-drawn. Plus, now that I'm older and look at it -- there's constantly motion. Also, there's different view points in which to see the characters and machines. You can't really get that from today's anime. For example -- Inuyasha -- All they do is draw a still picture for every attack or action. Today's anime art is dreadfully dull.

For an American-made soundtrack it was very good. What it makes me think of is Armitage III. Armitage may have been anime but it was made in America. My favourite song from the entire soundtrack would have to be "In Your Eyes" by Samantha Newark. The song is so beautiful and creepy at the same time. Do any of you know that this singer was the one who did the singing voice for Jem in the 80's cartoon Jem and the Holograms?

The acting was pretty well done. I liked it both in the English and in the Japanese. I think Central Park Media did a really good job of dubbing it. One would say that it would be the ADV of it's day. Oh and this was also Emi Shinohara's debut doing voice overs for anime!

All in all this is a classic and an awesome anime. I'll be doing more Project A-ko reviews later! This anime deserves a 10/10 score!

Echowinds
2009-08-25, 07:05 PM
Story - 8/10
Art - 10/10
Music - 9/10
Acting - 7/10

Nothing against Project A-Ko (which is indeed an anime classic), but art getting a 10/10? I am pretty sure there are better looking anime films during the 80s, such as Macross: DYRL. I can't comment on the rest of the attributes, but I have seen clips of Ako.

Furthermore, if you compare it to modern anime artwork, it will seem dated. Especially if you compare it to another film feature, rather than a long-running TV series such as Inuyasha (where they will bound to take plenty of shortcuts). Comparing more recent movies such as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or Sword of the Stranger, you will find those artwork will blow Ako out of the water. I also vastly prefer the artwork of modern TV productions if they are given a bigger budget, such as Eden of the East or Xam'd: Lost Memories.

Ridureyu
2009-08-25, 11:37 PM
What really makes it are the Fist of the North Star reference, the transforming-robot scene, and things like the fact that both girls kept throwing tanks at each other, oblivious to the alien invasion.

Sadly, the sequels weren't quite madcap enough.