PDA

View Full Version : If you could only save one item

Pika...
2009-08-26, 12:59 AM
If you chose to rush into your house aflame, but only had time to reach for and grab one thing. Or if you were finally traveling into the void, and you could take one item with you.

What would it be?

Cyrano
2009-08-26, 01:01 AM
Let's get these over with: The house, the fire, myself, my family for the flaming house, the universe for the void, there you go all you cleverdicks.

I'd probably take the most expensive piece of artwork in the place, which would be an A. Y. Jackson.

arguskos
2009-08-26, 01:03 AM
I'd likely save my cat, if that counts. If not, I'd probably retrieve my only picture of Dad and I together, since it means a lot to me.

thubby
2009-08-26, 01:18 AM
ignoring family and medicine (they really don't deal with the spirit of the question and are boring answers besides)
for the fire, i can't really say. i don't have anything of particular sentimental value. probably the paperwork i have for college. most of the other important papers (birth certificates, house/car/insurance info) live in a fireproof box in my basement.

for the void, notebook and pencil (can i get a gimme on the pencil?)

Innis Cabal
2009-08-26, 01:19 AM
My apartment.

Cyrano
2009-08-26, 01:22 AM
My apartment.

*A-HEEEEM.*

Dracomorph
2009-08-26, 01:23 AM
If I were to take one thing out of a burning house, I think it would be the fire.

EDIT: For traveling the void, a spacesuit. There's just something about breathable atmosphere that makes me... survive until the air tank runs out, I suppose.

EDIT2: v It's more fun to be a jerk about it than to actually answer the question. Therefore, I ask you, what second post?

Cyrano
2009-08-26, 01:25 AM
Good lord, the cleverdickery continues!

Have none of you read the second post!

Innis Cabal
2009-08-26, 01:39 AM
Let's get these over with: The house, the fire, myself, my family for the flaming house, the universe for the void, there you go all you cleverdicks.

I'd probably take the most expensive piece of artwork in the place, which would be an A. Y. Jackson.

You only listed homes. Some of us arn't so blessed.

Cyrano
2009-08-26, 01:41 AM
You only listed homes. Some of us arn't so blessed.

House /= home.

However, what I wrote was, actually, house.

...You're safe.

Sir Homeslice
2009-08-26, 02:04 AM
Everything else can burn, I'm taking my tower with me. And my other harddrives if possible.

Blackknight1239
2009-08-26, 02:07 AM
A towel. I <3 my blue one~

Icewalker
2009-08-26, 02:12 AM
My computer. It's got assorted important stuff on it, and is quite expensive. Also without it I'd lose my Learning record, I should back that up somewhere other than my external drive...

Ganurath
2009-08-26, 02:14 AM
Fire: ...My car. Luckily I keep the keys on my person whenever I'm wearing pants, so I don't need to worry about a two-fer.

Void: My bed. Even for an eternity, I could never tire of dreaming.

Pika...
2009-08-26, 02:28 AM
Void: My bed. Even for an eternity, I could never tire of dreaming.

Wow. That is the deepest and most moving thing I have heard in quite a while.

Ichneumon
2009-08-26, 02:42 AM
Fire: It would most likely be my laptop, mainly because all my important memorial things are on it and it is the most expensive thing I own. Although it might be more useful to take all my cv files like my diploma's etc.

Void: One philosophy book, which I can't name here as it is a bit political in nature, but if I am going to the void, I want to remember who I am.

Extra_Crispy
2009-08-26, 03:32 AM
Burning house: I can truefully say nothing. There is nothing in my house that is worth risking being burned again and going through all that pain. Stuff like pictures are at my parents house, everything else including any hard to find books and such could just burn as long as my room mate and the dogs are out of the house.

Going into the void: My MP3 player with all my music on it. If I am going into darkness with nothing around I want something to listen to.

Coidzor
2009-08-26, 03:43 AM
Hmm.

I don't know what I would save from my burning home. My laptop is replaceable, I'd miss it but not irrevocably so. Most of my writings are backed up online at the very least in some form or another. Though I do need to get back on that.

My clothing is just clothing. I don't currently keep a journal or anything. I'd miss my cellphone but I figure being newly homeless would be more crippling than having my cellphone lost anyway, and I don't really feel like that's what I'd go after anyway. I dont' really keep any art, all of the art in the house is my mom's, really.

I wonder if a house fire gets hot enough to melt a Toledo steel blade. But that's not what I'd save anyway. I'd lament the passing of my library but I don't think I'd be able to make it out with a book anyway, and none of them are especially treasured in and of themselves.

...I don't know whether I should be depressed I have no prized possessions or feel like I have passed beyond petty vanity in at least that regard. :smallconfused:

For the void, I think I'd like something to write with. Some kind of hypothetical, infinite pen and paper device preferably.

Mostly though I think that would just prolong the dip into frothing insanity.

Yarram
2009-08-26, 04:20 AM
I'd grab my Laptop. And my tuba. Seriously, I have two hands.

potatocubed
2009-08-26, 06:33 AM
The only irreplacable things in my flat are the various unfinished writing projects on my computer. So I'd be out of there with my HUGE desktop tower clutched in both arms. Or perhaps I'd just take shelter inside it.

Regarding the void? I have no idea.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-26, 06:37 AM
Fire: Most likely my computer and high school diploma(Cuz I still need to send it to my college)

Void: Computer with WiFi? >.>

Probably lots of paper, pencils, pens and erasers.

Player_Zero
2009-08-26, 06:37 AM
That box of ice pops in the freezer. Man, I love me some ice pops.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-26, 06:44 AM
Probably my computer. I don't think I'd be able to carry my piano out.

Jack Squat
2009-08-26, 06:50 AM
For a fire, I'd grab my go bag. For those who don't know, it's basically a bag with some spare clothes, money, IDs, important documents, food, & a water bottle that one keeps in case they need to "grab and go".

For the void, I dunno, probably the thickest book I can find, since I'll probably be there awhile, and don't think there's a place to plug in and charge my laptop.

raitalin
2009-08-26, 06:52 AM
Fire: Most likely my computer and high school diploma(Cuz I still need to send it to my college)

You don't actually need the document, its got an electronic record. Matter of fact, since I graduated halfway through my Sr. year I never even went to pick up my diploma when they came at the end of the year. Gotten into 2 colleges since then.

I really don't know what I'd save in a fire. My most prized possession is my library and its made of thousands of smaller possessions. Computer tower wins by default I suppose.

Into the void? An eReader.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-26, 07:11 AM
I know, but they need a real copy for their own record-keeping stuffs.

Might be different where you live...

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-26, 07:32 AM
Fire: My G5 Tower. It's got a terabyte of important memories, files and stuff from my life on it. Yeah, I've got back-ups, but why grab a bunch of discs when the computer works fine?

Void: A photo album crammed with pictures of my wife and I together - that would keep me sane for a few years longer.

V'icternus
2009-08-26, 07:41 AM
I have so much stuff I'd take it's not funny...

Uh...

...My room and all it's contents.

(Actually, I thought about this once, and if my room were gonna go, I'd burn with it. Viva La Room!)

Coidzor
2009-08-26, 07:55 AM
I know, but they need a real copy for their own record-keeping stuffs.

Might be different where you live...

It is. We can easily get another copy of our transcript (grades and courses completed and such). Not sure how easy it is to get another copy of one's diploma, per se though. Probably a bit of a headache since the diploma isn't actually needed since the transcript affirms that one has graduated anyway. And is what colleges and universities take.

bosssmiley
2009-08-26, 08:34 AM
Dang it! Thubby beat me to the folder of insurance documents answer. :smallannoyed:

The rest of it is just replaceable stuff.

13_CBS
2009-08-26, 08:47 AM
My violin. Not only is it expensive, but also it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

And besides, it's about time I got a new laptop. :smallbiggrin:

THAC0
2009-08-26, 10:30 AM
Realistically? My bug-out bag, kept beside the bed. Then I'd have a change of clothes, basic first-aid supplies, shoes, and all of my important documents encrypted on a flash drive. Oh, and a checkbook.

Apart from that, my cat. Being a living being and all.

Apart from THAT, definitely my french horn. And as many of the other instruments as I could throw out the window.

Oh right. One. Hah.

Supagoof
2009-08-26, 10:33 AM
If out of the fire, and they aren't covered under the family clause - then my pets.

If they are covered, then probably our wedding pic with all the signatures of everyone who was there. That's irreplaceable.

If into the void - again my pets if they aren't covered under the family clause. If they are - then a tennis ball to play fetch with them.

Murska
2009-08-26, 11:31 AM
Burning house, pets of course but for items... Well, my computer. My drumset is in the basement so is way too difficult to lug out in case of a fire anyway.

Void, I'd take a single piece of equipment which holds a computer with a lot of disk space, a very fast internet connection, a fully working fission(fusion?) generator which'll provide me power for at least a few thousand years, very good PA system, multiple large and good screens and the ability to manufacture me things I'd decide I need later on from a large supply of raw materials and a fridge with a self-reliant food supply. :smalltongue:

Okay, fine, I guess I'd grab a guitar or something.

Supagoof
2009-08-26, 11:47 AM
*snip*
Void, I'd take a single piece of equipment which holds a computer with a lot of disk space, a very fast internet connection, a fully working fission(fusion?) generator which'll provide me power for at least a few thousand years, very good PA system, multiple large and good screens and the ability to manufacture me things I'd decide I need later on from a large supply of raw materials and a fridge with a self-reliant food supply. :smalltongue:*snip*You forget waste disposal system. :smallwink:

Murska
2009-08-26, 11:48 AM
You forget waste disposal system. :smallwink:

Hey, it's a giant endless void. :smalltongue:

Sucrose
2009-08-26, 12:20 PM
For the fire case, if I had time, it is unquestionably my computer for me. However, it's not just because it's got important things on it; it is important things. I'm unreasonably attached to it, and the day I have to give up my baby, a faithful machine that's served me through my whole college career, I'll die a little inside. I still maintain that for my purposes, it's a better rig than any other, bar none.

For the void, as I assume that there would be no internet or electricity access, I would take a small book of family photos with me, and try to stuff my friends' photos in there as well. I don't want to forget those close to me.

zeratul
2009-08-26, 12:40 PM
I think I'd probably save either my Kabar that my dad gave me, or my guitar.

Perenelle
2009-08-26, 02:43 PM
I'd probably take either my laptop or my flute.
Probably my laptop though... I love it. :smallsmile:

well unless you can count pets because then i'd save Mozart (my awesome little kitty cat) :smallbiggrin:

varthalon
2009-08-26, 03:04 PM
Fire: My car... and the 48hr emergency kit in the trunk my car (change of clothing, first-aid kit, copies of important documents, food/water). I already have an external hard-drive back-up kept at a family member's house with copies of all my photos, journals, tax returns, etc on it just in case of a fire/flood/cometary strike.

Void: A towel. Any man that gets cast into the void and still knows were his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

I'm also going to add time travel... If I had an opportunity for a one-way trip to any point in time, I'd grab the winning numbers for the largest lottery that wasn't won (the numbers that would have one the day before the thing was actually won) in the time period I was going to.

Roukon
2009-08-26, 03:21 PM
For a fire, it is easy for me. I would save my hand-drawn, hand-inked, dated and signed picture of Superman by Dan Jurgens. (From around the time when he was doing the art for Superman in the comics.)

For the void, I'd ask a friend to come along with me. (Or a significant other, if I have one at the time.) Though, it would be ask, and if they said "no" then I would bring my bookshelves full of books I have read and books I haven't read.

onasuma
2009-08-26, 03:50 PM
Tough one. Ive narrowed it down to either one of my more awesome pieces of warhammer, or more probably my Ikea brand Goonk House and collection of Goonks (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5CyqYPytDIw/SnBuqQd2R_I/AAAAAAAAEg4/5X1LtxZsdmc/s400/g%C3%B6%C3%B6nk3.png). Thats not my collection but I do have all of those ones, along with at least another half dozen at that size and 3 large ones. In fact, Im only one goonk short of having every one ever made.