PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a build

Gnifle
2009-08-26, 03:40 AM
Hey guys

I could sure use your help.
My group and I are starting a new d&d 3.5 campaign where we will end up being either 10th or 20th level.

I have for a long time toyed with the idea of making a character based around the Fey Heritage feat.

Here's what I got so far:
str: 17, dex: 15, con: 16, int: 14, wis: 14 & chr: 13
Race: Half elf, alignment: chaotic good or chaotic neutral
Starting feat: able learner (I'm hoping to convince my DM to allow me take this feat even though it's a human/doppelganger only, I don't want to be the typical "only 6 different skills fighter")
1 lvl: fighter (lvl 1), Fey Heritage
2 lvl: fighter (lvl 2), Power attack, Point blank shot or Improved initiative - not sure which
3 lvl: barbarian (lvl 1), Fey skin + normal barbarian feats
4 lvl: duskblade (lvl 1), Normal duskblade feats
5 lvl: duskblade (lvl 2), Normal duskblade feats
6 lvl: duskblade (lvl 3), Fey Presence + normal duskblade feats
7 lvl: blank
8 lvl: blank
9 lvl: blank, Fey Legacy
Not sure if I want to take the Fey power feat, it only gives me a extra DR.

Concept/story: My character will start out all "normal" not knowing about the Fey Heritage. He's an orphan abandoned in the forest by his mother because of his mixed heritage and adopted by a woodsman and his wife. While he lay in the forest a wayward fey presence found it’s way into him and melted with his being.
When he reaches the 3rd lvl the fey presene emerges and changes his personality a bit – he becomes more feral and savage, hence the barbarian. When reaching the 4th lvl he has managed to incorporate the presence into him and the magic that now flows freely in his veins enables him to cast spells, hence the duskblade.

Is there a prestige class that will fit him, or do I stay in the base classes?
Hope you can help

Thanks
Gnifle

Boci
2009-08-26, 03:56 AM
Hey guys

I could sure use your help.
My group and I are starting a new d&d 3.5 campaign where we will end up being either 10th or 20th level.

I have for a long time toyed with the idea of making a character based around the Fey Heritage feat.

Here's what I got so far:
str: 17, dex: 15, con: 16, int: 14, wis: 14 & chr: 13
Race: Half elf, alignment: chaotic good or chaotic neutral
Starting feat: able learner (I'm hoping to convince my DM to allow me take this feat even though it's a human/doppelganger only, I don't want to be the typical "only 6 different skills fighter")
1 lvl: fighter (lvl 1), Fey Heritage
2 lvl: fighter (lvl 2), Power attack, Point blank shot or Improved initiative - not sure which
3 lvl: barbarian (lvl 1), Fey skin + normal barbarian feats
4 lvl: duskblade (lvl 1), Normal duskblade feats
5 lvl: duskblade (lvl 2), Normal duskblade feats
6 lvl: duskblade (lvl 3), Fey Presence + normal duskblade feats
7 lvl: blank
8 lvl: blank
9 lvl: blank, Fey Legacy
Not sure if I want to take the Fey power feat, it only gives me a extra DR.

Concept/story: My character will start out all "normal" not knowing about the Fey Heritage. He's an orphan abandoned in the forest by his mother because of his mixed heritage and adopted by a woodsman and his wife. While he lay in the forest a wayward fey presence found it’s way into him and melted with his being.
When he reaches the 3rd lvl the fey presene emerges and changes his personality a bit – he becomes more feral and savage, hence the barbarian. When reaching the 4th lvl he has managed to incorporate the presence into him and the magic that now flows freely in his veins enables him to cast spells, hence the duskblade.

Is there a prestige class that will fit him, or do I stay in the base classes?
Hope you can help

Thanks
Gnifle

How much are you willing to change and how powerful are the other PC? I ask because duskblade rarely works well with other classes, and if the key part of this build are the fey heritor feats then there are better ways to acomplish this. Although if no one in your group is trying really hard to optomize this could be okay.

Assuming you want to leave the levels like this I suggest advancing duskblade and taking wraith strike via extra spell to allow a lot of dammage via power attack.
There are few prestige classes that help the duskblade, but there are some such as the Jade Pheonix mage.

If you are open to level changes, warlock or dragonfire adept can benefit from these feats, or you could just take duskblade levels and rulse that once his fey heritage arose he retrained the fighter and barbarian levels.

Gnifle
2009-08-26, 04:01 AM
I'm defiantly willing to change the build is the duskblade class locks it up. I only chose it to gain access to some spells. I have tried the Warlock class but wasn't overly fond of it.

Gnifle
2009-08-26, 04:04 AM
Almost forgot, the other players are rather good at the art of character building.
That said, the character and the concept are more important to me then the build. Does that make sense? I hope so.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-26, 04:14 AM
I don't quite see why you are using your class abilities to signify your growth into the heritage ... for one they don't do it all that well (raging fey? Spell casting fey?) for another the feats specifically designed for the purpose do it very well.

Boci
2009-08-26, 04:19 AM
I'm defiantly willing to change the build is the duskblade class locks it up. I only chose it to gain access to some spells. I have tried the Warlock class but wasn't overly fond of it.

Okay. Well the problem is that duskblades are a ready made gish, so barring a few builds (such as a Factotum 17 / Duskblade 3) its best to have all or none, level wise.

Almost forgot, the other players are rather good at the art of character building.

Okay. Then there are several options:
1. the standard gish. Fighter 2 / Barbarian 2 / Sorcer or wizard 2 / Gish class (Adjurant champions are good, if you are using ToB crusader instead of fighter and then the Jade pheonix mage becomes available, but there are countless others)
2. Matiral route, trusting the fey feats to grant the needed level of mythical feel you need. In this case, you need to decide what type of fighting style best represents you inner fey. (Maybe use whirling frenzy instead of rage)
3. Play a martial class with a mythical feel. This could be the swordsage with alot of supernatural manouvers, but there are many other options.

That said, the character and the concept are more important to me then the build. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Yes. You'd don't mind sacrificing some power is a mechanical option is inferior but suits your concept more.

Gnifle
2009-08-26, 04:19 AM
It's not the classic fey I had in mind when choosing to base a character around the fey feats. I was thinking more along the line of the wild and feral eg. the wild hunt.
That said I do see your point about the classes.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-26, 04:21 AM
It seems more apt to switch to a class to emulate their behaviour rather than their abilities ... which will basically come down to nature loving. How about Totemist?

Gnifle
2009-08-26, 04:24 AM
Okay. Then there are several options:
1. the standard gish. Fighter 2 / Barbarian 2 / Sorcer or wizard 2 / Gish class (Adjurant champions are good, if you are using ToB crusader instead of fighter and then the Jade pheonix mage becomes available, but there are countless others)
2. Matiral route, trusting the fey feats to grant the needed level of mythical feel you need. In this case, you need to decide what type of fighting style best represents you inner fey. (Maybe use whirling frenzy instead of rage)
3. Play a martial class with a mythical feel. This could be the swordsage with alot of supernatural manouvers, but there are many other options.

Thanks for the feedback Boci, I must admit that I'm fond of the martial classes, so I would have to say option 3 - martial character with a mythical feel.

Boci
2009-08-26, 04:25 AM
It's not the classic fey I had in mind when choosing to base a character around the fey feats. I was thinking more along the line of the wild and feral eg. the wild hunt.
That said I do see your point about the classes.

1. You could go Fighter 2 / Barbarian X / Barbarian PrC Y were X + Y = 18. It can be a decent build if you make the choices right.

2. As as PinkysBrain said, Totemist does strike me as a good candidate.

3. If you do not want to go full swordsage, Swashbuckler using the arcane stunt variant from complete mage (replace grace with limited casting abilities) with a level dip into swordsage to gain shadowblade using shield of blades could be fun.