PDA

View Full Version : Cheap/mass ways to see through fog

BobVosh
2009-08-26, 07:47 AM
In a pathfinder game we are going to (in at most 3 levels) raid a keep.

I came across this gem of a spell: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/guardsAndWards.html#guards-and-wards

So basically I want to cast this in thier castle to make a bit of trouble for em. However I need a way to keep anywhere from 6-10 characters able to see through the fog etc. Not really required, but I feel it would definitely help turn the balance. Also I will need to find a place to hide for 30 minutes, but that shouldn't be too difficult at that level. (currently 12, probably be 14-15 when we invade the keep)

Farlion
2009-08-26, 08:05 AM
Blindfight would help to some extent.

Maybe some sonar like spell? You could use share hust (MoF) and bring along a bat.

Or Tremorsense (Und)

Cheers,
Farlion

FinalJustice
2009-08-26, 09:27 AM
The Confusion effect specifically targets intruders, better check with your DM who is considered 'intruder' in such case.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-26, 01:20 PM

I came across this gem of a spell: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/guardsAndWards.html#guards-and-wards

So basically I want to cast this in thier castle to make a bit of trouble for em. However I need a way to keep anywhere from 6-10 characters able to see through the fog etc. Not really required, but I feel it would definitely help turn the balance. Also I will need to find a place to hide for 30 minutes, but that shouldn't be too difficult at that level. (currently 12, probably be 14-15 when we invade the keep)

You can't cast a spell and hide at the same time.
So you will be in the middle of a room chanting for 30 minutes(300 rounds) for all to see and hear you.
Sorry, no ideas on bypassing the effects of the spell.

Leewei
2009-08-26, 02:34 PM
I'm unfamiliar with Pathfinder. Assuming it has analogues to SRD, the following might help:

A Ring of Spell Storing can hold a 3rd level spell, such as zone of silence from a friendly bard. This can stifle noise as you cast guards and wards. Just find a closet to hide in.

Look into ways of getting blindsight to avoid the fog effect.

Animefunkmaster
2009-08-26, 02:47 PM
To hide: Silent Spell + Invisibility (perhaps cast twice on you) will keep you hidden for the time (don't know what the rest of the party will do in the mean time).

Alternatively if you don't mind picking up a feat: Rapid Spell from Complete Divine turns the casting time to 1 minute.

As for seeing through the fog, you are going to be looking for ways to obtain blindsense, tremor sense, or the like. The confusion effect is worded in such a way that makes it seem difficult for you (already mentioned), talk to your DM.

Keshay
2009-08-26, 03:52 PM
Generally in terms of spells like this the caster needs to be familiar with the entire area that is going to be effected, I suppose since you have several levels to burn before your seige, you could scry out the enitre place before hand, but you're going to have a hard time hiding and casting simultaneously if the entire fort knows you;re there.

If your DM allows you to cast this spell on a building that is not yours, (which I suppose would be ok as long as you know it well.) I'd say your best bet would be to infiltrate under the disguise of a friendly Cleric who has come to hallow/unhallow the area (or some similar "beneficial" effect).

Go in with yor best (and longest lasting) disguising spells, Undetectable Alignment and whatever you can get your hands on to make the identification of the spell you're casting through Spellcraft more difficult. In the confusion that arises after the spell is completed, dispel whatever anti-teleporting defenses they have and go get the rest of your buddies.

Interesting base plan, but have you considered how difficult this is going to make it for your own party to get around? Guards and Wards is generally used to protect a fortress when no one is home (Or at least no living things are home, just the golems). Unless you have some way to draw the defenders to you, you'll be facing just as hard a time as the residents. Though I suppose if individual effects can be dispelled, they can also be dismissed by the caster... Lots of DM adjudication going to be going on with this one.

Darrin
2009-08-26, 10:02 PM

So basically I want to cast this in thier castle to make a bit of trouble for em. However I need a way to keep anywhere from 6-10 characters able to see through the fog etc.

There is no cheap or easy way to see through fog. Not even True Seeing can see through fog (unless it's an illusion, and then it does work). There was a "Fire Eyes" spell for Druids in Masters of the Wild, but it only worked on non-magical smoke and fog (and in most D&D campaigns, you're likely to find more succubus paladins than non-magical fog). The only way I know to see through all fog, magical or otherwise, is a Cloud Cloak (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a), but that's 31500 GP and would only work for one person.

You might be able to use Wind Wall to carve a path through the fog (strong winds are supposed to disperse fog), but enemies would be able to see through this as well as allies, and attacking or moving through it would be problematic.

The best solution would probably be a wand or a bunch of potions of Embrace the Wild (Spell Compendium p. 79), a Druid 2/Ranger 1 spell that grants Blindsense 30'.

Also I will need to find a place to hide for 30 minutes, but that shouldn't be too difficult at that level. (currently 12, probably be 14-15 when we invade the keep)

Rope Trick, although I'm also fond of the Cloak of Shelter (A&EG p. 131, 12080 GP).

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-26, 10:11 PM
Rope Trick, although I'm also fond of the Cloak of Shelter (A&EG p. 131, 12080 GP).

The upper end is, in fact, fastened to an extradimensional space that is outside the multiverse of extradimensional spaces (“planes”). Creatures in the extradimensional space are hidden, beyond the reach of spells (including divinations), unless those spells work across planes.

no, doesn't work. no longer in the area to cast the spell and spells don't reach across the barrier.
All your meat shields can hide in there, while you are outside casting the spell.

ericgrau
2009-08-27, 12:01 AM
Grimlocks. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm)

BobVosh
2009-08-27, 07:27 AM
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/ropeTrick.html#rope-trick
Pathfinder nerfed rope trick.

Like I said, hiding isn't my main concern, I really just want to be able to sneak up on guards. Probably end up using beast shape to get scent.

As for being familiar with the place, I have been in it quite a lot. I was a guard until my general do-gooderness got me wanted by the queen, for her general BBEGness.