PDA

View Full Version : Otherkin in the playground?

pendell
2009-08-26, 10:35 AM
Just curious if we have any.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

-- who is 99.9% confident he is 100% human, regardless of what everyone else says. -- BDP

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-26, 10:47 AM
Night Watch, Day Watch, or Inquisition? :smalltongue:

Or none of the above, because I've once again made the wrong conclusion

dougch
2009-08-26, 10:51 AM
I'm a Dragon!

Catch
2009-08-26, 10:56 AM
I'm a cross between a Unicorn and Phoenix.

Unix! Because computer nerd jokes are cooler than having an overactive imagination. Right?

Ichneumon
2009-08-26, 11:03 AM
I'm actually a extra-dimensional sentient fungus-plant hybrid.

arguskos
2009-08-26, 11:04 AM
Never met anyone who was excited about being a fungus. Sometimes, you confuse me. :smallconfused:
I be a radiance elemental :D
As for myself, wouldn't you like to know?! I WILL NEVER SHARE MY SECRETS WITH YOU!!!! *flees*

wadledo
2009-08-26, 11:04 AM
I am the Soul of Wit.

Player_Zero
2009-08-26, 11:05 AM
Otherkin are a primarily Internet-based subculture of people who identify in some way as non-human. Otherkin often believe themselves to be mythological or legendary creatures, explaining their beliefs through reincarnation, having a nonhuman soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor.

Riiiight...

Totally Guy
2009-08-26, 11:10 AM
I am human. And I feel upset to be excluded from a thread that exists for such a tiny minority of forum users.

Please change this thread to Otherkin and Humans in the playground so that we can all enjoy it.

:smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2009-08-26, 11:20 AM
Never met anyone who was excited about being a fungus. Sometimes, you confuse me. :smallconfused:

As for myself, wouldn't you like to know?! I WILL NEVER SHARE MY SECRETS WITH YOU!!!! *flees*

I only confuse you sometimes? :smallconfused:
Seriously though, being a fungus has its advantages, everybody underestimates the fungi.

arguskos
2009-08-26, 11:22 AM
Seriously though, being a fungus has its advantages, everybody underestimates the fungi.
Yeah basically. Ya aren't THAT much of a mystery. :smalltongue:

Also, fungus. Yeah. Still gonna keep my distance. I never did like the plant type. :smallwink:

LordZarth
2009-08-26, 11:24 AM
Pureblood human, scum. :smallamused:

Ichneumon
2009-08-26, 11:25 AM
Yeah basically. Ya aren't THAT much of a mystery. :smalltongue:

Also, fungus. Yeah. Still gonna keep my distance. I never did like the plant type. :smallwink:

Well, I can deal with that. That you don't like plants that much, I can deal with that too. It's elementary, dear dr Arguskos, elementary.:smallamused:

arguskos
2009-08-26, 11:29 AM
Well, I can deal with that. That you don't like plants that much, I can deal with that too. It's elementary, dear dr Arguskos, elementary.:smallamused:
I see what you did there. :smallbiggrin:

And remember, everything burns. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-26, 11:32 AM
Of the many subcultures I am a part of, I cannot claim Otherkin as one of them.

Sorry, wish I could help ya.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-26, 11:35 AM
I can't think of anything I could be other than a celestial. <.<

Does that count as an otherkin?

FoE
2009-08-26, 11:36 AM
I am, in fact, made entirely of snakes.

Here's the Wikipedia definition of Otherkin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherkin)

Fredthefighter
2009-08-26, 11:39 AM
Well, my helmet is a modified hat of disguise to keep my height down, I'm actually only Half-Dwarf. The other half is Cloud Giant. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously. :smalltongue:

Disclaimer: Fred is lying, he is 100% Dwarf on these forums, and in real life he is 100% human according to his birth certificate, but his RL friends might disagree.

Totally Guy
2009-08-26, 11:41 AM
I am a body that's encased in many items of clothing so that I may leave my dwelling without being ostracised.

How weird is that?

Castaras
2009-08-26, 11:52 AM
While I joke that I'm a drow (like spiders, don't like sunlight, like the dark, like caves...), I'm 100% human. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2009-08-26, 11:57 AM
Of the many subcultures I am a part of, I cannot claim Otherkin as one of them.

Sorry, wish I could help ya.

Because Atreyu actually really is a masked llama. :smalltongue:

Not one either. However, I do identify with dragons...

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-26, 11:57 AM

Actually...

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-26, 12:21 PM

Darn Right!!!

pendell
2009-08-26, 12:22 PM

Fungus-plant hybrid? So when people invite you to dinner, are you the guest or the garnish?

So you're saying ... after awhile, it grows on you?

:Flees:

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Ichneumon
2009-08-26, 12:34 PM
Fungus-plant hybrid? So when people invite you to dinner, are you the guest or the garnish? So you're saying ... after awhile, it grows on you?

Do not mock my species!:smallmad: ...:smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-26, 12:40 PM
Otherkin? Yeah.

I'm actually one of the last ones from the old world.(Though not the ancient world)

I am half-dwarf half-hobbit.

My length has been altered by short bouts of Entdrink. I was going to drink more so that I'd come to normal human hight, but I lost it in a fight to escape the white-coated people. But that's another tale for another time.

Ofcourse I'm 100% human? I mean, there isn't worth anything investigating on me! And you totally shouldn't send researchers after me. >.>

FoE
2009-08-26, 01:05 PM
I'm a monster! RAWWRRR!

Hoyty
2009-08-26, 01:25 PM
I'm a keg of beer trapped in a human body.

Or am I just a human who drank a keg of beer?

Life is so confusing.

ghost_warlock
2009-08-26, 01:46 PM

D&D does about as good a job at modeling creature types as it does physics. Fungi are not plants! :smallannoyed:

Opisthokonts represent!

Edit: Also, the largest organism on earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_organisms#Fungi) (by area) is a fungus. 8.9 km2, baby. :smallwink:

Spiryt
2009-08-26, 02:01 PM
I had checked the Wiki for Otherkin and went kinda "WTF".

Anyway, I'm human. I have 4x8 teeth, opposed thumb, and such things :smalltongue:

pendell
2009-08-26, 02:05 PM
So do most Otherkin. They'll tell you it's what's on the inside that's ... different.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

d13
2009-08-26, 02:06 PM
I'm too awesome to be human. :smallamused:

Spiryt
2009-08-26, 02:09 PM
So do most Otherkin. They'll tell you it's what's on the inside that's ... different.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Oh... internal organs? I've never checked too much, in fact I've only had my kindey's checked with USG, and they were kinda unusual if I remember correctly. :smalleek:

Dracomorph
2009-08-26, 02:24 PM
Oh... internal organs? I've never checked too much, in fact I've only had my kindey's checked with USG, and they were kinda unusual if I remember correctly. :smalleek:

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/phil_ken_sebben.jpg

Ha! Ha! Ha! Intentional misinterpretation!

Delwugor
2009-08-26, 05:13 PM
I play a ugly dwarf with a big battle axe when on the internet. I play a corporate IT System Analyst with in real life.

I think both qualify as Otherkin.:smallbiggrin:

nanobot_swarm
2009-08-26, 05:24 PM
Just curious if we have any.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

-- who is 99.9% confident he is 100% human, regardless of what everyone else says. -- BDP

Are you really Nobby Nobbs?
Also do Starchildren count as otherkin?

pendell
2009-08-26, 08:52 PM
I play a corporate IT System Analyst with in real life.

Oh, that DEFINITELY counts as a strange, alien soul trapped in a human body. Welcome to our world :).

Are you really Nobby Nobbs?

Nah, Nobby gets a posh certificate signed by the Patrician saying he's human. I just have to keep insisting on it loudly. Honest, gov!

Also do Starchildren count as otherkin?

That's a Smashing Pumpkins rock band, right? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starchildren) Sorry, being a musician may make you strange, but I don't think it qualifies ... unless you're a drummer :smallamused:

Intentional misinterpretation! Hah hah!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blue Ghost
2009-08-26, 09:02 PM
No, I am definitely human in real life, last time I checked. But you'll never guess what kind of creature I am here in the Playground! (I have no idea myself.)

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-08-26, 09:20 PM
I'm a Time Lord.

*runs away before anyone realizes I've never actually watched Doctor Who*

[edit](spoilered for ruining my horrible, unfunny joke)Okay, but seriously, this is one of those internet subcultures I've never heard of that sound like they'd be fun. And I don't mean to mock, though that is what I am doing right now. But rather that their basic thing is interesting enough to hold my interest. Most of you don't know, but I have a hard time holding my interest to something for very long unless I start to, ah, obsess over it. Like the ol' Radio Game, Transformers, mid '90's cartoons, webcomics, and GITP. Yeah.

pendell
2009-08-26, 10:35 PM
I'm a Time Lord.

And if I may say so, you have a truly awesome avatar. Where did you get it?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-08-26, 11:59 PM
And if I may say so, you have a truly awesome avatar. Where did you get it?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

This one is by the masterful Qwernt, one of the fine Avatarists that make their nests on this very forum. I have many others, by different avatarists, that I sometimes rotate. And all for the price of some signature space for credit and the time and a bit of imaginative requesting.

If this sounds like a good deal to you, then just stop on by your local Request an OotS Avatar Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122056) today!

Offer expires while you wait, 'cause we can't do this all day. Operators are standing by.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-27, 05:13 PM
While I joke that I'm a drow (like spiders, don't like sunlight, like the dark, like caves...), I'm 100% human. :smalltongue:

See, I was all on board with ya until you got to the spiders. If its got more than 4 legs, its dead; that's my personal code. Severe arachnophobia ftw!

Lost Demiurge
2009-08-28, 07:38 AM
I am currently human, and this is an entirely awesome thing. We've got so MUCH potential...

Still, who knows what'll happen after a death or two. No way to know where the tao will take me...

Etcetera
2009-08-28, 07:54 AM
I'm a somewhat intelligent shade of the colour blue.

I'm 7056N
http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/duron/images/Duron-Colors-02.gif

Delwugor
2009-08-28, 11:10 AM
I'm a somewhat intelligent shade of the colour blue.

You will never be able to control the planet with half measures.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-28, 11:32 AM
See, I was all on board with ya until you got to the spiders. If its got more than 4 legs, its dead; that's my personal code. Severe arachnophobia ftw!

Don't think of them as spiders. Think of them as new friends who want nothing more than to hug you with all of their many, many limbs.

Alchemistmerlin
2009-08-28, 11:50 AM
One of the old Otherkin communities online had a warning before you entered the site that actually said it was illegal to enter the site if you were a Slayer.

That's right, they put in a legal provision for Vampire/Werewolf/Furry-Slayers to enter their site.

I was stunned when I saw it. It was that day that I decided I wanted to dedicate my life to Otherkin hunting. Unfortunately my college didn't have a major in "Hunting and Trapping crazy people", so I went into Psychology instead.

Ichneumon
2009-08-28, 12:30 PM
So, what do these Otherkin really do besides rp'ing on internet forums?:smallconfused:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-28, 12:54 PM
So, what do these Otherkin really do besides rp'ing on internet forums?:smallconfused:

Probably the same things everyone else does. Although I'd wager that dragon-kin probably have a higher collection of Spyro video games than usual.

^^ Hmmm..... Sounds like something out of Men In Black.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-08-28, 01:02 PM
Does your girlfriend constantly comparing you to Eeyore count? Or does that count as furry?

bosssmiley
2009-08-28, 01:05 PM
I am a body that's encased in many items of clothing so that I may leave my dwelling without being ostracised.

How weird is that?

Rubbing the tight silky weaves of fabric over you naked skin? You filthy textile-fetishist pervert! I bet you enjoy wander around drapers shops getting all hot and bothered, don't you?

Otherwise rational people who think they're not human, and they're still allowed the vote. Life's rich tapestry, eh? :smallconfused:

Does your girlfriend constantly comparing you to Eeyore count? Or does that count as furry?

Sounds like a slippery slope there mate. One month she's calling you Eeyore. Next month she insists on you calling her Kanga when you're in bed together. Before you know it she's in a kangaroo costume and it's all gone a bit... Milnean. :smalleek:

Catch
2009-08-28, 01:17 PM

The same as any other subculture. Whine about persecution and how everyone "doesn't get it."

Ikialev
2009-08-28, 01:18 PM
Are otherkins furries in a sort of way? :F

pendell
2009-08-28, 01:22 PM
Don't think of them as spiders. Think of them as new friends who want nothing more than to hug you with all of their many, many limbs.

Thank goodness I was not drinking soda when I read this, or it would be all over my screen. +1 for you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ichneumon
2009-08-28, 01:25 PM
The same as any other subculture. Whine about persecution and how everyone "doesn't get it."

How is this any different from the majority's view that those subcultures just want to be different and that they "just making a problem out of nothing".

Catch
2009-08-28, 01:34 PM
How is this any different from the majority's view that those subcultures just want to be different and that they "just making a problem out of nothing".

Perspective. Pretending to be an anthropomorphic mystical creature is, at the personal level, not all that different from wearing heavy makeup and a lot of black clothing.

The world blames you for being a freak and you blame the world for not accepting you as you are. The way I see it, everybody's a little bit wrong.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-28, 01:52 PM

I'm no expert on Furries and I know little about Otherkin, but I'd say probably not. Most furries that I know do not believe themselves to be the spirit of the animal, and I believe one of the defining characteristics of Otherkin is that they do believe themselves to be the spirit of the creature inside the body of a human. Some furries do believe themselves to be an animal spirit trapped in the body of a human. They are often referred to as Therians or Therianthropes.

Of course, there are similarities between Otherkin and furry subculture.

And, I could be completely wrong. I'm at work so I'm not able to double-check my thoughts. (Disclaimer: Atreyu's thoughts may not be representative of the opinion of the majority or even the minority. They are only the rambling of a wannabe furry who really really wishes he could leave work and go take a nap.)

Nerd-o-rama
2009-08-28, 01:53 PM
The world blames you for being a freak and you blame the world for not accepting you as you are. The way I see it, everybody's a little bit wrong.Better to say "everyone's wrong" - adding in "a little bit" makes people feel like they can accept their current behavior of persecution or whining or whatever.

Raz_Fox
2009-08-28, 02:02 PM
All three of my imaginary friends agree that I am most likely not a reincarnated animal, no matter how much I like foxes. Only Aragorn finds them weird, though - the other two seem fine with it.

...What? Why are you staring at me like that? :smallconfused:

Stormthorn
2009-08-28, 10:40 PM

Whoot! Arachnaphobia ITP!

I whine that people dont get me! Im a subculture!

Coidzor
2009-08-28, 10:52 PM
Let me show you to the wonderful world of Venn Diagrams. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram) So called because Vin Diesel will kill you if you violate their laws.
http://www.amphi.com/teachers/brobeson/images/E9889D89B84B4324B0D3C35D9D8F6332.jpg
I don't know why they misspelled his name there.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-08-29, 01:11 AM
I'm a monster! RAWWRRR!

So you're a Gnome?

Also - I'm human waiting until I can be be post-human like in Transmet.

EleventhHour
2009-08-29, 01:17 AM
I don't know. I feel catlike sometimes. And I like my ears... And I wish I had a tail... Hm. Nah, I'm just an ordinary person who wants to be a cat. Honest.

>_>

Totally Guy
2009-08-29, 04:31 AM
Whoot! Arachnaphobia ITP!

Is that like homophobia but towards spiders?

That's a problem right, and a fairly widespread one. I suggest we form a group to stop arachnaphobic attitudes being socially acceptable.

:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-08-29, 12:50 PM
The sad thing is, I know a girl who decided to go crazy after her divorce and now spends entirely too much time with various detritivores crawling over her naked flesh.

Suffice to say, she's created several groups, serious ones I might add, about combating the negative press given to the common cockroach.

Some people really need to learn not to broadcast details of their personal lives.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-29, 03:43 PM
Technically, fungi are not plants.

/annoying nitpick

I'm bald; does that count as otherkind?

pendell
2009-08-31, 07:09 AM
Okay, which one of you writes xkcd (http://www.xkcd.com/629/)? This is the third time something mentioned on the playground showed up in xkcd within a few days...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-31, 07:20 AM
I may or may not be a half-breed between a suffficently advanced, magickally powerfuland secretive race of people and humans who have a long-standing peace treaty with the Fae folk.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-31, 07:55 AM
Okay, which one of you writes xkcd (http://www.xkcd.com/629/)? This is the third time something mentioned on the playground showed up in xkcd within a few days...

Respectfully,

Brian P.
I have a feeling that the writer(s) of XKCD may be tapping these forums for inspiration.....

Ichneumon
2009-08-31, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the writer was a (regular) member of the boards, but prefers to stay anonymous.

Cubey
2009-08-31, 06:11 PM
Well, Randall Munroe admitted to reading TVTropes, at least. But I'd say it's coincidence. Besides, if he tapped forums for inspiration then he'd make a joke about cartoon characters' actions being morally justifiable or not by now.

Nameless
2009-08-31, 07:32 PM

Yeah, the spread fast. I'd watch out for your feet. e_e

NecroPaladin
2009-08-31, 10:18 PM
Yeah, the spread fast. I'd watch out for your feet. e_e

I believe myself to be bigfoot, so keep that away from me!

Scrooler
2010-08-18, 06:39 PM
Hey guys im new here... i'd like a response from an otherkin if there really exist any in this forum!
I've came into otherkin world after i've heard of them and them by meditating i felt MANy things and i thought of my past and some things are not that normally I THINK. . . like i have a big number in my mind since i was a little boy or a baby which i never saw it ANYWHERE (really) and i remember it and it's my really lucky number. . . i also have flashbacks of when i was a babby which i think this is ALMOST impossible for some1 to have memories of when he/she was a BABY. I wanted to also ask that if there are any characteristics about kin types and in addition how i can COMPLETELY understand it? cause now im kind of confused in my inner world and i want some answers which i'm sure i already know them but i just didn't figured it out yet. I'm waiting for response please

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-18, 07:51 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Year old thread necromancy.