PDA

View Full Version : Moving To College...packing list?

DrizztFan24
2009-08-26, 01:25 PM
So all fo you more experienced playgrounders out there, what in the world should I take to college? I plan on taking my guitar and xbox and a goodly amount of clothes...but beyond that, what else is essential for the dorm lifestyle?

Hoyty
2009-08-26, 01:27 PM
Snacks to throw towards the feral animals (other college students) when you need to escape. Also a jar of patience, failing patience use fire.

Seriously though: Bed stuff, bathroom stuff, a small electric grill.

BRC
2009-08-26, 01:31 PM
Woah, that list sounds oddly like what my Roomate is bringing...

Eitherway, I'm bringing clothes, Books, and some other stuff. Mainly Clothes and Books though.

Dragonrider
2009-08-26, 01:31 PM
Heh...I'm also packing. Or...packed.

You probably want hangers.
A laundry basket.
A big plastic container or two to store stuff under your bed.
Stuff to put on your walls.
A fan if the weather is hot.
uhh....
I'm just kind of winging it myself.

Flickerdart
2009-08-26, 01:33 PM
Kettle. You need this. This is important. You could, I suppose, bring a simple boiler coil and boil water in a pot, but a kettle is better.

Dragonrider
2009-08-26, 01:37 PM
Kettle. You need this. This is important. You could, I suppose, bring a simple boiler coil and boil water in a pot, but a kettle is better.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to go down into the cellar and find mine.

Cristo Meyers
-Bed stuff
-Clothing
-Bathroom stuff (unless you plan on, you know, not bathing :smalltongue:)
-cheap foam sandals (for the bathroom, trust me on this)
-laundry basket
-laundry supplies
-quarters...lots and lots of quarters (stupid laundry machines)
-if you have a small refridgerator you'll want food to fill it
-if you have said food, you'll need something to eat it off of (cheap plates, flatware...)

everything else is really a "what do I want to have in the room?" I had about a dozen books, my cds, my PS2 and games, and my PC.

arguskos
Eh, what do you take camping? Take all that, add a computer and some RPG books, and you're good to go.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-26, 01:44 PM
The real problem for me is deciding what I'm going to leave behind.

Dragonrider
2009-08-26, 02:36 PM
-quarters...lots and lots of quarters (stupid laundry machines)

Free laundry, baby! :smallbiggrin:

Also: I now advocate a merging with the college thread. :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-26, 02:39 PM
Free laundry, baby! :smallbiggrin:

Also: I now advocate a merging with the college thread. :smalltongue:

My hate for you has just tripled...

Placing it firmly at the "Glare At Meanly" level. :smalltongue:

For those of you that don't get free laundry (:smallannoyed:), you'll need quarters. Believe me, you won't believe how quickly you run out if you do laundry on a regular basis.

Lycan 01
2009-08-26, 02:59 PM
I get free laundry, too! :smallbiggrin:

But we forgot detergent. :smallannoyed:

Here's a few things off the top of my head...

-Clothes
-Towels, washclothes, hand towels
-Sheets, blankets, pillow, detergent
-Dissinfectants, soaps, shampoo, face-wash
-SHOWER SHOES
-Laptop, tv, gaming system, other electronics
-Power strip to power said electronics, as most dorms only have 1-2 outlets
-Spending money, especially loose change
-A fridge, food, drinks, focus on quick and easy snacks
-Plates, cookware, cups, utensiles, dishsoap
-Duct tape... you never know, dude...
-Paper, pens, notebooks... general school supplies
-DO NOT FORGET YOUR CELL PHONE CHARGER
-Flashlight, batteries, plastic bags, band-aids, first-aid kit, generic pain relievers, Pepto-Bismal... Stuff you might need at home if something bad happens, which is quite common at the college I attend. :smalleek:

Tharivol123
2009-08-26, 03:03 PM
Free laundry?! That is criminal. It was $1.50 for a load in the washer, dryers were free.

As to what else to bring:
-Movies are always a must
-A window fan
-A coffee pot (note, if your dorms are as strict as mine were these are not allowed, but there are plenty of places to hide them :smallwink:)
-As has been said, plastic bins that fit under the beds. Just remember, dorm room beds are usually lower to the ground than a normal bed
-A small lamp is always a good idea if you and your roommate have different sleep schedules
-If your school allows you to build lofts, bring lumber and equipment needed to do so. Not building a loft is a mistake with the size of most rooms, and whenever school starts lumber prices in the area go a lot higher than normal. Be as simple or creative as you like. There are the simple get the bed off the ground style or the "mansion" someone built at my old school; a three story beauty.
-Wall decorations are a must, unless you enjoy the sight of white plaster
-Lava lamp
-Always bring a camera
-If you have an all-in-one union, bring anything you have that is available in the union. Pool stick, bowling ball, ping pong paddle, etc. They will have them at the union to rent, usually at a price, and they are usually in crappy shape (chipped balls, warped sticks, padding pealing of paddles).
-Depending on where you go to school, an extra blanket. Temperature control in dorms is not like it is anywhere else in the world. There is no "comfortable" setting. It will always either be way too hot or way too cold. We had to keep our window open through the entire winter because the dorm was too hot. This was in Houghton, Michigan where the average temp is -1 million degrees with an annual snowfall of about 3 miles. Other people on our floor had the heat cranked to full and needed to wear sweaters in their room because it was that cold.
-If you don't have one already, get a cell phone. The rate they charge on long distance calls in the dorms is outrageous (at least in my experiences). Use the dorm phone for local calls, especially the ever important pizza delivery calls, but the cell for long distance.
-If you are going to school in a warmer climate, bring a Frisbee and/or hacky sack. You'll be an instant hit.

SDF
2009-08-26, 03:08 PM
Emergency toilet paper. Do it.

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-26, 03:30 PM
stationary supplies
bedding
clothes
toiletries + toilet paper
flip-flops
computer

depending on how far you live from college i wouldnt bother with home comforts like your x-box n tv just yet - they'll distract you from making friends

Dragonrider
2009-08-26, 03:33 PM
-Power strip to power said electronics, as most dorms only have 1-2 outlets

AHA! Thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2009-08-26, 04:22 PM
For those of you that don't get free laundry (:smallannoyed:), you'll need quarters. Believe me, you won't believe how quickly you run out if you do laundry on a regular basis.

This is important enough to state again. I regularly spend ~$3.75 every two weeks on laundry. In quarters. This is probably the second largest expense in college, unless you count the random junk you'll compulsively buy off of Amazon and eBay because you don't have your parents around to tell you not to waste your money.

thubby
2009-08-26, 06:01 PM
lets see.
a multi-tool (you will use it)
cat5 cable(s)
a router depending on how the internet works.
some place to put valuables.
if it can be taken apart, get longer screws for it.
sharpies, as many as you can afford. they are so useful and disappear readily.

Nohwl
2009-08-26, 06:21 PM
dont bring the xbox. i know 2 people who have dropped out of college because they spent way too much time playing video games.

thubby
2009-08-26, 06:37 PM
dont bring the xbox. i know 2 people who have dropped out of college because they spent way too much time playing video games.

don't blame the xbox.

Coidzor
2009-08-26, 06:42 PM
Hmm.

1x Laptop/Compy.
8x underwear minimum.
5x pairs of casual pants
2x "looking good" outfits for dates and such
1x optional schmancy formalwear outfit
1x optional semi-formalwear outfit
2x belts, one black, one brown
10x casual shirts of differing designs
2x toothbrushes with sundry toiletries
1x shower caddy for transport of toiletries
1x bathrobe
1x acceptance of body to the point where one is not embarrassed if one's pubic hair is documented photographically while in the showers, merely annoyed at the juvenility.
1x curtain with rod (if applicable to open closets)
2x underbed storage tubs minimum
1x (optional) set of bed-risers to go under the legs of the bed to create more storage space
1x weapon of last resort stored near the head of your bed
1x flashlight heavy enough to be used as a weapon
1x complete first aid kit (for when things get hairy and you're the responsible adult)
1x portable first aid kit (for things like minor cuts and band-aids)
1x legal pharmaceuticals kit (OTC medications for the various common maladies. Of particular note are safety-aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-diarrheal, anti-gas, pepto-bismol, and cold suppressants/remedies)
1x at least minimal first aid training in dealing with shock and alcohol poisoning.
1x raincoat(any kind) and umbrella set.
1x (variable) cold weather outer layer coat/outfit
1x swim trunks/jammer
3x exercise outfits, two warm, one cold (variable)
1x mini-fridge (optional/variable)
1x (auto-shut-off capable) electric teapot (variable "legality" check to see if you are allowed one and then again to see if you are willing to smuggle it in, are dead useful)

Edit: Silly me for forgetting, thanks for reminding me, monsieurs Thubby, Timberwolf

1x minimal toolkit or multitool
1x wind-up flashlight/torch/lantern
1x go-bag for emergencies.
1x alarum
1x powerstrip, preferably two, which are capable of dealing with burdens safely.

AHA! Thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that. :smallbiggrin:

<_< A power strip is a mandatory component of one's computer paraphenalia, my dear, so it should be a given.

Timberwolf
2009-08-26, 06:43 PM
Alarm clock
Tinned food
Computer
Headache pills

As someone has said, large jar of change for laundry

Decent washing detergent
toilettries
sports kit

Nohwl
2009-08-26, 07:11 PM
don't blame the xbox.

it wasn't an xbox that did them in. it was a gamecube, the game was super smash brothers melee.

Pandaren
2009-08-26, 07:32 PM
Body bag,

For...er, organization.

Skorj
2009-08-26, 08:37 PM
More power strips. You will make friends.

A trunk with a lock (or a even just large, awkward suitcase with a real lock). Burgulary is very common the first week in many dorms, especially during the time when everyone is moving in and no one knows one another, or who belongs where. Someone will walk by and say "ooh, free X-Box" if you don't take minimal precautions.

Even after the move in settles down, there may come a time when a lockable box big enough to hold an X-Box or a laptop will come in handy. Heck, even a disreputable-looking cardboard box and a roll of duct tape works, if you can trust it won't be thrown out. Anything to deter walk-by opportunistic theft.

Coidzor
2009-08-26, 09:26 PM
Och, aye. Also, if you bring a microwave, remember to take the glass tray out of it before you pack it or really move it at all.

Jack Squat
2009-08-26, 09:35 PM
it wasn't an xbox that did them in. it was a gamecube, the game was super smash brothers melee.

Don't blame the game, back when I lived in a dorm, we had Brawl competitions. One kid flunked out, but us doing that once a week or so had no bearing on him skipping classes every day. Some people just can't handle the responsiblilty of making sure they do everything.

I know someone mentioned a multi-tool, but you'll need a knife (folding probably) too. I was using mine all the time to open boxes, wrapped books, etc.

Some silverware would be good too, even if you plan on only eating at cafeterias. Ours was almost always out whenever there was a rush, so I carried around my spork.

Nohwl
2009-08-26, 10:47 PM
Don't blame the game, back when I lived in a dorm, we had Brawl competitions. One kid flunked out, but us doing that once a week or so had no bearing on him skipping classes every day. Some people just can't handle the responsiblilty of making sure they do everything.

I know someone mentioned a multi-tool, but you'll need a knife (folding probably) too. I was using mine all the time to open boxes, wrapped books, etc.

Some silverware would be good too, even if you plan on only eating at cafeterias. Ours was almost always out whenever there was a rush, so I carried around my spork.

try 8 hours or more a day. i gave up on the first guy after a while and it wasn't worth trying to get the other one to stop.

wadledo
2009-08-26, 11:29 PM
Bah, I'm just bringing 7 boxes of books and going from there.
I am bringing 7 boxes of books, but only 1 of them is my reading material.
The other 6 are for charity.

Lycan 01
2009-08-26, 11:32 PM
MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

I feel I should warn you about something. Sometimes, when you get to the dorm, things are different from what you've been told. Specifically, we've been lied to twice about our dorms. The first year, we were told there'd be a microwave on every floor. There was only one, as well as only one stove, and they were in the basement. Oh yeah, and the basement got burnt out around Christmas thanks to a serial arsonist who was never caught. We had to go the rest of the year without a kitchen... :smallfurious:

Now, I'm in a new dorm, where I was told there'd be a kitchen on every floor. Heh... Wrong. There's a small kitchen, in the basement. Three snack machines, no stove, and only one microwave. Which doesn't even work. :smallmad:So here I am, with nothing but some crackers and a few bags of chips to eat for next week or so, because all my food requires a microwave to cook or make edible. :smallannoyed:

So, my warning to you..... two warnings, actually....

1 - Make sure you have food that can be eaten raw or without preparation. You never know when there may not be a microwave, or even a kitchen, available. Be it pop-tarts or chips, make sure you'd have something to depend on if you get hungry and heating/cooking is not an option.

2 - Fire is a real threat. Make sure you have a working smoke detector, and a fire extinguisher wouldn't hurt, although that may be a bit over the top...

wadledo
2009-08-26, 11:34 PM
2 - Fire is a real threat. Make sure you have a working smoke detector, and a fire extinguisher wouldn't hurt, although that may be a bit over the top...

Unless your roommate is somebody who likes to watch things burn.
Then it's the least you can do.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-08-26, 11:36 PM
Let's see. What hasn't been mentioned yet...

If you're in a state that does deposits on bottle returns, have something to collect empty bottles and cans. Those can add up fast.

Couldn't hurt to have some kind of prepaid long distance phone card. In case of emergencies.

Desk lamp. If needed. Since you will be studying and doing homework into the night.