PDA

View Full Version : Lord of of the Uttercold healing help.

Wings of Peace
2009-08-26, 01:49 PM
Working out a character concept that hit me today and could use help. The premise is the similar to other Lord of the Uttercold builds except that I'm using it on myself for healing. Tomb-Tainted Soul is going to be how the build pulls off the negative energy healing but I'm trying to find a consistent source of cold immunity as well without becoming undead.

All books are allowed and while any race/template/alignment is allowed I'm trying to find the most general way possible so that almost any character could pull it off in the least cheezy way (Ignoring the fact we're abusing Lord of the Uttercold and Tomb-Tainted Soul). Persistent spell effects that allow for an elemental immunity have been considered but I'm looking for something that doesn't require any amount of my time each day.

Boci
2009-08-26, 01:57 PM
Cold subtype via race? I know there are fire elves which gain the fire substype. Also, how exactly are the mechanics handled for including yourself in your own spell's area?

Wings of Peace
2009-08-26, 02:02 PM
Cold subtype via race? I know there are fire elves which gain the fire substype. Also, how exactly are the mechanics handled for including yourself in your own spell's area?

I've never seen any to be honest. This may just be a blatant oversight on my part though, I always just assumed if you're in the area or if it's aim able then it can hit you too.

Boci
2009-08-26, 02:24 PM
I've never seen any to be honest. This may just be a blatant oversight on my part though, I always just assumed if you're in the area or if it's aim able then it can hit you too.

For area spells with a range I can't see an argument for why you couldn't include youself in the affect if your in the area. However, affects centered on you, I could see a DM ruling it not an option.

As for immunity to cold, if that is too much, you could always aim for cold resistence to gain a certain amount of healing.

olentu
2009-08-26, 03:59 PM
I believe that there is an instantaneous duration spell in frostburn that gives the cold subtype. I remember it being called mantle of the icy soul.

Wings of Peace
2009-08-26, 10:55 PM
I believe that there is an instantaneous duration spell in frostburn that gives the cold subtype. I remember it being called mantle of the icy soul.

Found the spell you're talking about. It was posted in an online excerpt. Good find. You've my thanks.

Emy
2009-08-27, 01:42 AM
Found the spell you're talking about. It was posted in an online excerpt. Good find. You've my thanks.

It was updated to be 1 hour per level in Spell Compendium, but it no longer requires an experience component.

Fishy
2009-08-27, 01:49 AM
There's the Elemental Savant prestige class, which has prerequisites that overlap nicely with Lord of the Uttercold. Pick Water as your element, and you start with (Ex) cold resistance that eventually progresses up to full cold immunity... right at the level you get the ability to penetrate cold immunity with your damaging spells.

quick_comment
2009-08-27, 01:51 AM
The ritual of elements in savage species can give you the cold subtype, but at a +1 LA cost.

You could cast resistance to elements and then just use your spells.

olentu
2009-08-27, 02:10 AM
It was updated to be 1 hour per level in Spell Compendium, but it no longer requires an experience component.

Hmm so it was. I seem to have been distracted by the manyjaws picture every time I looked at that page and so missed the update. Though for some strange reason I am either missing it completely or mantle of the fiery spirit was not updated.

Edit: Well if one has 100,000 gp then I suppose that the Ring of the Icy Soul has not technically been changed by the change to mantle of the icy soul and one could use that to gain the cold subtype.

Wings of Peace
2009-08-27, 02:43 AM
Hmm so it was. I seem to have been distracted by the manyjaws picture every time I looked at that page and so missed the update. Though for some strange reason I am either missing it completely or mantle of the fiery spirit was not updated.

Edit: Well if one has 100,000 gp then I suppose that the Ring of the Icy Soul has not technically been changed by the change to mantle of the icy soul and one could use that to gain the cold subtype.

Don't forget the feat to craft it! Or is it a magic item from the book and I missed it?

olentu
2009-08-27, 02:50 AM
Don't forget the feat to craft it! Or is it a magic item from the book and I missed it?

The ring of the icy soul is a magic item on page 111 of frostburn.

Wings of Peace
2009-08-27, 02:57 AM
The ring of the icy soul is a magic item on page 111 of frostburn.

Smarty pants. The ring actually looks better than the spell since it caps the bonus damage. Unless of course you read it as the 50 fire damage is on top of what you take from being fire vulnerable due to the subtype.

olentu
2009-08-27, 03:09 AM
Smarty pants. The ring actually looks better than the spell since it caps the bonus damage. Unless of course you read it as the 50 fire damage is on top of what you take from being fire vulnerable due to the subtype.

Ah well I just remembered that the ring was updated in the magic item compendium to make it rather worthless as it only grants resistance 20 to cold and vulnerability to fire.

Edit: Though from my quick review I did not see an update to the blazing sun ring but it was a quick review and so I might have missed it.