PDA

View Full Version : Building Arcane Buffbot/Battlefield Control

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-26, 02:45 PM
Okay, I've built a really awesome divine buffbot, using DMM Chain Spell to hit all my allies at once.

Now I want to be more offensive, with more battlefield control. So, thinking Arcane here.

War Weaver looks like fun, but limited in the spell level I can put into the Weave.

What I am wanting to do is to load up Mind Blank into the Weave. That's an 8th level spell.

I was looking at Uncanny Trickster and the caster version which works nicely with metamagic. Only then I'd be loosing two caster levels, which, on top of the one I loose from War Weaver, really hurts.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-26, 10:39 PM
I don't know of many others. Maybe bloodlines will work.

Douglas
2009-08-26, 10:54 PM
Legacy Champion? Wizard 5/War Weaver 5/Legacy Champion 6 has 14th level casting and could, in theory, store up to 9 spells of 10th level or lower in his Quiescent Weaving.

If you specifically want this for Mind Blank, though, note that the spell level limit is only for the spells you store in the Quiescent Weaving to be released in battle. Mind Blank lasts 24 hours, so there's no point in storing it for later. Just cast it once to take effect immediately, and even just one level of War Weaver is enough to do that through the Eldritch Tapestry.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-26, 11:44 PM
Legacy Champion? Wizard 5/War Weaver 5/Legacy Champion 6 has 14th level casting and could, in theory, store up to 9 spells of 10th level or lower in his Quiescent Weaving.

If you specifically want this for Mind Blank, though, note that the spell level limit is only for the spells you store in the Quiescent Weaving to be released in battle. Mind Blank lasts 24 hours, so there's no point in storing it for later. Just cast it once to take effect immediately, and even just one level of War Weaver is enough to do that through the Eldritch Tapestry.

Nope. Highest level spell you can cast into the Tapestry is equal to your class level. Top of second column on page 112.

Uncanny Trickster would boost it to 7, but getting that last level is... difficult

I suppose Legacy Champion it is...

BobVosh
2009-08-26, 11:53 PM
Bleh. I read wizard. Anyway, isn't mindblank personal? I thought you can't cast personal spells through the weave.

sofawall
2009-08-27, 12:21 AM
Heehee. Someone says War Weaver, I laugh.

Seriously, Gleemax, I don't want to keep having to use cached pages! (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:IdhEWzgKcj0J:forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php%3Fp%3D18161386%26postcount%3D8+war+we aver+handbook&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-27, 12:28 AM
Bleh. I read wizard. Anyway, isn't mindblank personal? I thought you can't cast personal spells through the weave.

Nope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm), Close range.

And Sofa... no, those are CharOp builds, not actual gameplay builds. Specifically, I disagree that Precocious Apprentice allows early entry into anything, and don't happen to agree with the Sanctum Spell shenanigans either.

sofawall
2009-08-27, 12:39 AM
You can adapt tricks from them.

There is some useful stuff.

Early entry is perfectly valid is most cases, although with something like War Weaver, who really needs it. It's borked as it is.

EDIT: Other than Fred Astaire, Algernon and The Joker, they aren't that bad. There are a few builds there.

But yeah, War Weaver makes me giggle inside. Everyone want Celerity and Time Stop? Ok!

EDIT2: Could have sworn I linked to the whole first page... Like I said, I hate cached pages.

Doc Roc
2009-08-27, 12:49 AM
Gee, I guess I'm just a CharOp guy, not a guy with useful practical advice who feels like examples of the fully articulated forms are useful. All snarking aside, many of those are not intended to be played, but as Sofa said, they have useful elements in them. I can think of five or six other ways to get into classes besides precocious apprentice, if you'd like. :) We just used it as a fairly convenient shorthand.

How about versatile spellcaster + heighten + dragonsblood pool on a spontaneous spellcaster chassis? It undeniably grants third level slots.

What is the starting level? That will affect my recommendations considerably.

Emy
2009-08-27, 01:48 AM
And Sofa... no, those are CharOp builds, not actual gameplay builds.

It's easier to tone a build down than to amp a build up. Those provide a nice starting point, from which you can remove elements until it matches the power level of your game. Or you can just ignore the builds themselves entirely and look at the various 'tricks', which you can place into your own build structure.

Dismissing that (semi)guide entirely by calling its contents "CharOp builds, not actual gameplay builds" is absurd.

Doc Roc
2009-08-27, 02:26 AM
Full link to the cached guide. (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:6fjq4dUqUc8J:forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D18165818+war+weaver%27s+guide&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

Leon
2009-08-27, 08:42 AM
My approach to those guides

Go look at one to get some idea's and then get annoyed at the Thou shall do this approach and leave it.

Rinse and repeat

sometimes they merit a few good idea's

Doc Roc
2009-08-27, 08:55 AM

Go look at one to get some idea's and then get annoyed at the Thou shall do this approach and leave it.

Rinse and repeat

sometimes they merit a few good idea's

A tale told by a pundit, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-27, 09:26 AM

Rinse and repeat

Don't forget to use bleach in warm water.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-27, 12:51 PM
Full link to the cached guide. (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:6fjq4dUqUc8J:forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D18165818+war+weaver%27s+guide&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

That contained much more useful information than the previous link. Thanks!

Now then, I do not want to use Early Entry Cheese, however there are several very useful and handy concepts they introduced.

Now, I have a question: Is it legal to cast divine spells which you may know through the Weave? I have an idea involving Beguiler/Rainbow Servant to be able to cast off of the Cleric list, and another idea involving Mystic Theurge (yes, I know it is a trap, but the character isn't about power, it's about boosting the other players). Would this be viable?

Doc Roc
2009-08-27, 05:08 PM
Yes to all three questions. Algernon casts almost exclusively divine spells through the tapestry. :)