PDA

View Full Version : [COMPUTER HELP] Norton AntiVirus knocking out Internet?

Mr. Mud
2009-08-26, 03:24 PM
Backstory
So on my nicer computer, (Has literally ~40 times the processing of the current computer I'm posting from) I'm having trouble connecting to the internet... I've tried all the basics (Refreshing IPv6... disabling firewalls, cycling the modem... the works). Then I called my ISP (Comcast if that matters? Shouldn't.) and they said that it wasn't a problem with them or the modem, as it was all top notch on their end. Thus, it must be something on my computer. Like a firewall perhaps... Here's where it get's interesting. The morning I woke up, Norton AntiVirus 2009's subscription had expired...

As stated, I can't access the internet... I have High Speed Broadband, and I connect directly to a modem.

The Problem
[B]Norton seems to be blocking my internet, because I don't have a valid subscription/version? Is this heard of...? Is it legal...? Regardless of both, anyone got any advice, short of calling Norton - Which I plan on doing after I see the playground's reaction?

Coidzor
2009-08-26, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I've never heard of an antivirus doing that on its own.

Having the local college network not accept that the antivirus is up to date or mess up the antivirus and thus deny access to the internet even when the computer tech people who maintain the network and deal with such problems regularly can't figure out why the network is being so bitchy.

...That happens about once or twice a semester, someone's computer is just ****ed up the *** and won't connect to the internet for god knows only how long.

Mr. Mud
2009-08-26, 04:07 PM
Hmm, I've never heard of an antivirus doing that on its own.

Having the local college network not accept that the antivirus is up to date or mess up the antivirus and thus deny access to the internet even when the computer tech people who maintain the network and deal with such problems regularly can't figure out why the network is being so bitchy.

...That happens about once or twice a semester, someone's computer is just ****ed up the *** and won't connect to the internet for god knows only how long.

Hmmm. The only scenario that I've thought of that'd fit the bill, would be:

Since Norton is installed it wants my computer to be protected if it surfs the web, and it doesn't see it as protected if it's not currently running? So I can (A) Delete it, which would be a pain. And risky, or (B) Subscribing again.

So I'm lost...

SDF
2009-08-26, 04:10 PM
Norton itself is practically a virus. I'd do whatever I can to kick it off your comp and if you want to go free get AVG or Avast, and if you want to pay for something get NOD32.

Eldpollard
2009-08-26, 04:12 PM
I would say uninstall it. Completely. Don't just use the PC uninstaller as it will leave lingering traces of Norton. Use this (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039). And then try connecting. And if your internet does work make sure the first thing you do is to get another anti-virus like AVG.
Although I would make Norton do a full scan before you uninstall it.

Mr. Mud
2009-08-26, 04:22 PM
Eh, I don't want to install it just yet. As it's a family computer (:smallfurious:), I'd feel sort of dirty, if we got a virus after I deleted it...

Also, I have Spy Sweeper installed as well... Norton hates it. >.>

Anything short of killing Norton, anyone could suggest?

Lupy
2009-08-26, 07:11 PM
Why would deleting Norton get you a virus? :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-08-26, 07:17 PM
Hmm.

Isn't there some kind of ten commandments of safe surfing habits by now?

Milskidasith
2009-08-26, 07:36 PM
Norton, like AOL back in the old days, pretty much hates being uninstalled and is a pain in the ass anyway.

There are worse things, though. For example, the common virus package of "Blocks all common ways to install Antivirus systems, uninstalls all your antiviruses, forces *something not appropriate for this board* to be a glaringly obvious shortcut or 10 on your desktop, and advertises an extremely expensive antivirus software that, unlike everything else, isn't blocked" can be a real hassle.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-26, 10:10 PM
Hmm.

Isn't there some kind of ten commandments of safe surfing habits by now?

"Thou shall not Norton" would be the second one. Right after "Thou shall not use Internet Explorer."

MethosH
2009-08-26, 10:29 PM
"Thou shall not Norton" would be the second one. Right after "Thou shall not use Internet Explorer."

I second that :smalltongue:

And by the way... That probably is legal, so don't bother calling them and say you will get a lawyer, I'll just look stupid. :smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2009-08-26, 10:44 PM
No, I no longer have a valid version, and my internet still works. But I would like to second those commandments. If this wasn't a shared computer, Norton would be gone in a second.

2009-08-26, 11:14 PM
perform the ritual of purging (detailed below)
step one: take your computer and place it on a stone altar.
step two: gather the necessary items for the ritual or purging. (salt, blowtorch, sharp knife, wirecutters, brick, chisel, new HDD)
step three: engrave on the brick these words "NORTON ANTIVIRUS IS BAD"
step four: hit yourself in the head with the brick, while chanting the words. stop when you pass out.
step five: sprinkle salt in a circle around the altar
step six: cut out any infected drives
step seven: replace the infected drive, reinstall any files you want to keep. throw avast on there if you need an antivirus, which you probably do.
step eight: take a blowtorch to the infected drive. make sure nothing is left.

then try connecting with IPv4.

Mr. Mud
2009-08-30, 01:30 PM
Problem solved... it was Norton's firewall settings malfunctioning. Thanks to all who said to delete Norton :smallamused:.

Volug
2009-08-30, 01:35 PM
I haven't had a single problem with Norton for the year I've used it.

Of course virus scans kick me out of my game sometimes but that goes for just about every single one of them...

Mr. Mud
2009-08-30, 04:18 PM
I haven't had a single problem with Norton for the year I've used it.

Of course virus scans kick me out of my game sometimes but that goes for just about every single one of them...

It doesn't usually for me (save for crashing my computer when trying to host anything in Battle.net...) either, and it looks - to me - like a pretty good AntiVirus. This was probably just a hiccup, that someone was bound to have?

Irbis
2009-08-30, 04:20 PM
Delete Norton, get Firefox and Thunderbird, install Zone Alarm Firewall, disable autoplay, patch your system and you can both: forgot about viruses and free up to a half computing power that was up to this point used by Norton? :smallconfused:

Mr. Mud
2009-08-30, 04:28 PM
Delete Norton, get Firefox and Thunderbird, install Zone Alarm Firewall, disable autoplay, patch your system and you can both: forgot about viruses and free up to a half computing power that was up to this point used by Norton? :smallconfused:

Problem is no longer bothering me. And I have firefox :smalltongue:. Don't need the processing power, as this monster had never been slow... and it's got something like 10gb RAM to boot?

My computer will be like my child; pampered but objectified :smalltongue:.