PDA

View Full Version : "It's Your Program"

Delwugor
2009-08-26, 04:53 PM
Over the weekend my company upgraded their firewall and one of my systems started having problems ftping files after 3 years of no problems. After two days of not getting orders out to where they should my Director finally was able to get the needed people together to work out a resolution last night.
My boss and I spend almost 6 hours (until midnight) discussing what was going on and trying to come up with a way of resolving it. Of course everyone was just saying that the problem was in the code not in the firewall or the ftp servers. I actually had to explain the difference between Active and Passive mode ftp 4 times last night.
Eventually got a person from Cisco on to look at our firewall and of course he couldn't find any problem (though he did bring down our internet) briefly (:smallfrown:). Of course he says the same thing must be in the code.
My director gets on at midnight and then tells me to put together a workaround until "further investigations" could be done. This was a change from him because his instructions previously where to not do anything with the code because it did work for 3 years.

Anyway I worked until 3:30 this morning to get this workaround ready and I ran it this morning to get the orders through. Did some paperwork backfill for it (of course) and then went to bed - having someone else keep an eye out on things. Woke up couple of hours later and there is an email from one of the people telling me to change my code last night. He started getting tickets that several internal processes and external customers are now complaining their ftp processes are failing.

I told my boss and director that I couldn't figure out whether to laugh or ROFL. :smallbiggrin:
My director said he jokingly offered my service to the guy who sent out the email for $250/hr - he keeps 50% for agent fees.

Despite all of the work last night and this morning I really am happy about the outcome because after all of that time defending my system without trying to sound defensive I was proven right. And if people would have listened Monday they could have gotten it worked out before customers started complaining. Overnight I go from the person who was blaming his programming problems on others to the guy who first raised the issue.

Sometimes working in corporate IT just makes me laugh other times it makes me scream.