PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Exhibition: imperialspectre vs. Claudius

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 05:53 PM
Buff rounds? I'll need to have at least a few.

Any map preferences?

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 06:32 PM
We're both highish-level casters; I doubt the map will be particularly relevant.

I don't personally think that buff rounds above 5 are reasonable; name whatever number you want provided that it's 5 or lower.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 06:42 PM
I was thinking 5, actually.

Map:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4343/arena2i.gif

Buffs (All-days and 5 rounds):
Long-term buffs:
Spellstaff with Blasphemy (permanent until expended) CL 23

2-day buffs:
CL = Base +4 Bead of Karma +2 Infernal Threnody +1 Adept Spirit = 19 or 20. Nondetection is +4 CL from Ankh.
Slots used: 1st: 0/6 2nd: 1/6, 3rd: 1/6, 4th:4/6, 5th: 1/4 6th: 0/3 , 7th: 2/2

Extended Greater Magic Weapon +4 on scythe (38 hours) CL 19
Extended Magic Vestment +4 on shield (38 hours) CL 19
Extended Magic Vestment +4 on armor (38 hours) CL 19
Midnight Metamagic Extended Pact of Return set to "I will be slain by an aligned spell." (40 hours) CL 20
Midnight Metamagic Extended Pact of Return set to "I will be slain by a natural weapon attack" (40 Hours) CL 20
Extended Nondetection: DC 39 (48 hours) CL 24
Extended Zone of Silence (40 Hours) CL 20

All-day buffs:

Endure Elements (14 hours) CL 13
Undetectable Alignment (24 hours) CL 13
Divine Insight +15 (13 hours) CL 13
Superior Resistance (24 hours) CL 13
Tyche's Touch: Protection (24 hours) CL 13
Extended Adept Spirit (26 hours) CL 13

Round 1: Activate Bead of Karma, Activate Extended Adept Spirit
Round 2: Battletide targeting Soulspark Familiar, Infernal Threnody
Round 3: Freedom of movement, Armor of Darkness +8
Round 4: Conviction +5, Activate Scout's headband for True Seeing, open backpack
Round 5: Greater Invisibility, Spell Resistance, Soulspark moves into backpack, I close backpack.

If my Soulspark makes its save, I'll have to redo my buffs. It can only succeed on a natural 20: [roll0]

I'll start on the blue side, in (OO):
B11

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 06:49 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

What are your modes of vision? I have True Seeing up myself.

Also, I'll probably auto-succeed on spellcraft checks. Post the DC when you cast a spell and If I don't roll, assume that I auto-succeeded.

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 07:26 PM
I automatically win initiative. Vision modes are True Seeing and Darkvision.

(Buff list)
All-day buffs:
Mage Armor
Protection from Evil
Heart of Air
Darkvision
False Life
Anticipate Teleportation
Heart of Water
Heart of Earth
Heart of Fire
Overland Flight
Superior Resistance
Contingency: Dimension Door if I would be affected by an area effect spell of 6th level or higher.

Buff rounds:
1. True Seeing
2. Freedom of Movement
3. Favor of the Martyr
4. Greater Blink
5. Ray Deflection

Location on the red side, in Z10.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 07:28 PM
Make a CL check and a spot check to see me.

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 07:37 PM
Um, what effect forces a CL check for True Seeing?

Also, Glitterdust. Will 21, take -40 to Hide, lose benefit of any invisibility you have active (although since True Seeing automatically penetrates the invis, that last should be irrelevant).

Rest of the turn after we deal with the True Seeing thing.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 07:48 PM
Insidious Magic is actually able to defeat True Seeing.

Your use of Glitterdust makes me wish I chose a map with a larger starting area. You would normally have no inclination to suspect I was even in that space, unless you beat the CL check.

Will save: [roll0]

Whether or not your True Seeing works, the Glitterdust makes me easily detectable. I'm in B11. You'll have to roll the CL check to determine exactly what you see, though.

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 08:06 PM
CL check for True Seeing: [roll0]

And yeah, with this map, it's kinda obvious to hit the four squares of the starting location with a Glittterdust.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 08:11 PM
That doesn't beat the DC, so you see a bunch of the dust hanging in midair, outlining a humanoid shape. You see that it has a small shield on its left hand, a staff in its right hand, and is apparently wearing a cloak. There is also what appears to be a scythe on its back. You don't see any eye-grabbing, so it looks like it's not blinded.

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 08:12 PM
Cool. In that case, I cast Spellcaster's Bane and end turn.

(I automatically recognize all of your spells now, along with their CL. EDIT: That's all spells that you cast from now on, not all spells you have already active.)

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 08:19 PM
Before I go, can I see you? Give me a description if I can.

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 08:35 PM
The person you see is an attractive female humanoid, wearing pure white robes covered with dark purple arcane sigils. Her silver hair shines radiantly and her eyes are entirely colorful, shifting between each of the magical prismatic colors. An orange ioun stone orbits her head rapidly, and she holds a quarterstaff in her right hand and a length of cord in the other. Her entire form blinks rapidly in and out of the material plane.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 09:18 PM
Sorry about the wait. I will not post very frequently for the next hour or so, but I'll try.

I cast Greater Dispel Magic, CL 20 on you.

(My turn is not over yet)

imperialspectre
2009-08-26, 10:04 PM
I assume the GDM is targeted on me. If so, Wings of Cover as an immediate action negates the effect and the GDM is wasted.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 10:32 PM
I hate that spell.

I move behind the pillar. You last see me enter D14 before losing LoS.

Destination (OO):
G14
You don't see me do it, but I cast Quickened Control Winds. Tornado strength, clockwise.

Observers only:
I make the "eye" extend to each square adjacent to me.
I don't know how Blink interacts with that, but if you're affected, you'll have to make a DC 30 22 fort save or be picked up for 1d10 rounds, taking 6d6 damage per round.

Duration: [roll0]

Damage (if affected): [roll1]

End turn.

Edit: I think the DC is actually based on the spell, not a real tornado. It's only DC 22.

Signmaker
2009-08-26, 10:38 PM
You don't see me do it, but I cast Quickened Control Winds. Tornado strength, clockwise.

<3

Edit: It is, I've asked that question when my druid was running one.

imperialspectre
2009-08-27, 12:04 AM
Blink means that I only take half damage from area effects, but let's hope that doesn't come into play.

Fortitude save: [roll0]

My actions will depend on whether I'm picked up or not. If I am, is it reasonable to assume that I'll be able to perceive the "eye" while I'm spinning around in circles?

EDIT: Okay, not picked up. Can I perceive the "eye" and its location?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-27, 10:13 AM
Probably not, but it actually doesn't include that post, so it might get destroyed. If it is, you'll see me, and it's a safe bet that I'm in the eye.

Edit: I requested a DM's opinion to determine what kind of damage Control Winds does to the map, and if you can see the eye.

imperialspectre
2009-08-27, 11:17 AM
It's a freakin' tornado. Chances are, it breaks trees with no problem. ;)

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-27, 11:33 AM
The trees are almost certainly uprooted. The problem is the large post. Half of it is in the eye, and half of it is not, so what happens to it? The bridges are probably wrecked, since a normal person can scatter the planks. Also, Sign brought up the possibility that the tornado could scoop up the water from the stream.

Some of these are pretty obvious, but I'd like a DM's call on the more iffy ones.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-28, 01:04 PM
How about we just say that everything is destroyed and continue? It doesn't look like we'll get a DM's word on this and I don't want to hold this match up any longer.

imperialspectre
2009-08-29, 12:07 AM
That's fair.

In that case, my turn is as follows:

Dimension Door to 100 feet above your location. The "eye" is a cylindrical hole in the tornado, so that area ought to be clear. If not, let me know why I'm mistaken and we'll figure out how to work it.

End turn, since I used an immediate action last turn.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-29, 12:35 PM
That's good. I assume you have flight then.

I cast Divine Power (CL 19), then I cast Dispel Magic (CL 20) on you.

Then I end my turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-29, 09:46 PM
If it's Dispel Magic, it's capped at CL 10. Which is it?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-29, 09:57 PM
Only the dispel check is capped. The actual spell is at CL 20. I suppose I don't need to cast it at a CL higher than 10, but I might as well.

imperialspectre
2009-08-29, 11:38 PM
Right, then. Wings of Cover, since I don't like having buffs dispelled and honestly can't risk it in a fight with a full caster.

EDIT: Since it's my turn now, Greater Dispel Magic on you. Go ahead and list the DCs for your buffs from highest CL on down. I'll make that many rolls, and we can count down from there.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-30, 12:16 AM
I have a very large number of buffs with widely varying CLs, so laziness compels me to try to disrupt your spell.

I cast Celerity (CL 19), and use it to cast Lahm's Finger Darts (CL 19).

CL check (if necessary): [roll0]

If they get through any SR you might have, you take 20 dexterity damage.

imperialspectre
2009-08-30, 12:20 PM
As tempting as it is to counter with a Celerity of my own, I'll take the easy road and counter with Wings of Cover.

Let's go ahead with the CL stuff now. Also, I assume you're either accepting the daze and ability damage or are circumventing them somehow?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-30, 12:24 PM
You can't take swift of immediate actions, though. You just used Wings of Cover on my turn, denying you the ability to use it on yours.

imperialspectre
2009-08-30, 12:31 PM
You're correct. In that case, you win, as Ryna doesn't have an ability damage immunity.

Out of curiosity, how were you maximizing the Finger Darts?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-30, 12:56 PM
Sudden Maximize. I keep it around for that and for Streamers. I don't have enough free metamagic to maximize otherwise.

Thank goodness I had 2 spells per round, or I would have been totally helpless in the face of Wings of Cover.

imperialspectre
2009-08-30, 01:52 PM
Nicely done. Congratulations. :)