PDA

View Full Version : Pirates on the River Styx IC

Gnorman
2009-08-26, 08:59 PM
After signing your names (in blood, of course) on the ship's updated crew register (a torn and ratty document with many, many names suspiciously crossed out with deep crimson strokes), you are led to a rather large cabin on the aft side of the ship and told to present yourself to the first mate. A Nalfeshnee, somewhat smaller than most, sits in a large wooden throne, his folds of fat spilling over the sides of the chair and hanging pendulously. Unperturbed by your entrance, he picks bits of flesh and food out of his teeth with a large, sharpened femur.

Aaaah... so these are the new berks on the ship, eh? Let's get a look at you, then.

He laughs a deep, disturbing laugh and eyes you with a mixture of curiosity and disdain.

You look a little scrawnier than the last batch, cutters. But you'll do for now. Let's get a few things straight now, shall we? You're on the fine ship the Grinning Ghoul now, and you're just about the bottom rung on the vessel. What's that, you say? A lot of things. First - don't bob the crew outta treasure or cattle. Second, you do what we say, when we say it, and you don't ask a lot of questions. Third, you stay the hells out of our way and maybe we don't put you in the dead-book just yet. Why, you might even turn out useful. Savvy?

Now then. Introductions. The name's Crazy-Eye Kruthak, but you'd be better off calling me "Sir." Or not calling me at all, since I don't need your whining. Now, I don't care all that much about you, but I'd like to know a few things. Lemme know what you're good at and what name to look for when you're in need of a lashing, eh?

PId6
2009-08-26, 09:58 PM
Achamian

A slim looking tiefling stands near the back of the crowd. The readily apparent scales on his skin and the coarse black hair on his scalp marks him as marilith-blooded, though he seems far too crude a being to have such noble blood. He wears a frumpy looking leather jacket topped off by a ragged tricorn hat, all of which are filthy and ill-fitting, and smelling faintly of drink. The tiefling hesitantly raised an arm, then spoke.

"I'm Drusas Achamian, though you can call me Akka. Everybody calls me Akka, er- Sir. What can I do? Well, whatever ya need! Need a cook? Well I can cook, er, passably. I can also clean the deck if ya need it, Sir. I can fight, er- passably as well, if necessary. Basically, I'll do whatever you need a deckhand for." He starts to make a bow but the ship lurched at that very moment, causing him to stumble and almost fall. Getting back on his feet, he grins sheepishly and gives a nervous chuckle.

technophile
2009-08-27, 08:41 AM
A lean, muscular woman dressed in a waterproof oilskin suit, Kasadya stands off to one side, turned slightly so that while she faces the Nalfeshnee, her peripheral vision covers the rest of the group and the door to the cabin.

As the ship lurches she automatically rocks with it, betraying at least a passing familiarity with boats. She grimaces in barely-concealed disdain at "Akka", both his appearance and his lack of grace. When he finishes speaking, she introduces herself with a smooth half-bow.

I am Kasadya a'Deveimar. I am a warrior, she indicates the blade at her hip with one hand--the nails of which look more like crimson talons than human fingernails--and this is not my first time on a ship.

Eldan
2009-08-27, 09:05 AM
Next, a young man, barely more than a boy, takes the word. Until now, he seems to have been busy caressing the planks of a nearby wall with an admiring look on his face, before turning back to the rest of the crew. Apparently, he has put on every piece of clothing in his possession at once: a woolen blanket over a thick woolen coat and what appears to be at least three shirts.
He has crimson skin and hair, and golden yellow eyes. As he speeks he shows canine fangs instead of normal teeth.
"I call my self Keled Achinear, Sir. I talk to things."
His look becomes dreamy again, his eyes a little glassy, before he continues.
"Sometimes... things answer me. The wind, and lightning. They are my friends. Ships are my friends too. I like your ship, she is friendly."

SilentNight
2009-08-27, 11:08 PM
Towards the end of the line stands a black-skinned Tiefling clad in a stereotypical pirate's garb, bandana and all, his heritage betrayed by the red fur on his face and his monkeyish limbs. As the ship lurches, he jumps with it, landing gracefully. Standing up, he beats his hands on his thighs to some unheard rhythm. "Savin.......Khemsaad, is my name," he says, taking strange pauses as he speaks. "I fight, climb, jump, sing, a lot of things."

The_Shaman
2009-08-31, 07:50 AM
A heavy-set, brutish-looking tiefling stands around the end of the line. Many things - most of all the beard, the angular set and, well, the curved horns show him to be of bulezau ancestry, though it is fairly diluted. His clothing - shortened britches, cut under the knee, dark red sash with strange markings, a shirt and a vest - is worn, and by and large not very well taken care of; only the long, quilted vest and a set of brass armbands stand out as being of a better-than-average quality. He gives those around him a terse look, then speaks in a low tone. "I'm Kuruk-Maira. I fight, mostly. Huh. I guess I can help if you need foraging, or getting a dog to stand to attention, and I don't drown as easy as most." He says the last sentence dismissively, obviously not considering any of those much next to fighting.

technophile
2009-09-01, 11:47 AM
Kasadya looks to Kruthak again.

"I assume you've orders for us, hopefully more precise than 'stay out of the way'?" Her tone is cool, although not disrespectful -- barely. "When do we weigh anchor?"

Gnorman
2009-09-01, 04:22 PM
Aye, we've got orders for ye addlepated scrags right enough, don't worry. We're setting sail for Azzagrat tonight, and I'm expecting you to impress the captain with yer duties. Ye'll be mainly hauling rope and ladening sails fer most of it, though I'll flay the skin off yer bones if I see you dodging scrubbin' duties.

In the meantime, I've a little present for you all. The Captain and I have found that cutter who falls in the Styx is no good to us anymore, and we'd like to have to reduce our... pit stops in port to replenish our crew members for sodden accidents like fallin' overboard.

Kruthak removes a small pine chest from a drawer and opens it, offering its contents to you.

Take the little trinkets and put 'em on. They'll make ye laugh off the Styx as if it were a hot bath. Still, I don't recommend that ye get accustomed to swimming in its deep and oily waters, as the memory-rotting properties o' the river ain't the only thing ye'll have to worry about if ye're flailing about in it.

With that, Kruthak waves you off to the bunkhouse.

Now then. I know ye berks need to have shuteye, so I suggest you get that taken care of now while we're still taking a breather. We leave for Azzagrat in six hours.

OOC: The amulets A.) Give you water breathing, B.) Make you immune to the amnesiatic properties of the River Styx and C.) Allow you to act as if you had a natural swim speed, letting you take 10 on any check. They only function for ten minutes a day, though they do not need to be contiguous. They can be activated as an immediate action.

PId6
2009-09-01, 05:02 PM
Achamian

Achamian takes the offered trinket, glances at it for a moment, then follows the others out of the room. As soon as they're out, he turns to them, "Interesting company we have here! This is is exciting, yes indeed! So, have any of you ever sailed before?" He speaks casually, and sounds annoyingly cheery.

Eldan
2009-09-01, 05:17 PM
Keled takes the amulet in gloved hands and studies, smiling dreamily.
"Such a small thing, and so much power... and still, a single drop of froth and spray and spindrift, and it's gone, all gone. Dreams and Fears and Desires lost to a drop of water."
He then turns around, focusing his eyes on Achamian.
"I have. The Scant Mercy, before she dropped me on a battlefield. The Eye of Pale Night, before I jumped ship near Broken Reach. The Fury, before she sank in a storm. And what a sweet storm it was. Red Lightning and burning rain..."

The_Shaman
2009-09-01, 06:56 PM
Kuruk-Maira holds in the amulet in his hand for a while, wondering at the dainty thing, then puts it on with a shrug. Huh, it felt magical somehow. He hoped that it would not be something he would regret later, but it was too late for now. The snakespawn was getting on his nerves, but he might prove interesting... about the rest, he did not know yet. Nah, not sailed. Ports and taverns, sure - ships, no. Guess there's a first time for everything. Any of you heard more of this Azzagrat place? he says, tapping his chin.

What check would that be, geography or planes? I can do the latter with a +6 bonus.

technophile
2009-09-01, 07:25 PM
Kasadya hefts the small amulet in one hand as if weighing her trust in the first mate against the possiblity of ending up in the drink, then mentally shrugs and strings it around her neck.

"I've sailed before. No ships worth the telling, not like Keled here, but I know what I'm doing aboard." She glares around, seemingly daring anyone to suggest otherwise.

She glances at Keled as he lists his previous berths. "The Fury, eh? I heard stories about that storm. Knew a fellow who got drunk a month running off his stories of it. Of course, the lightning was green in his telling..."

She eyes the red-skinned youth, waiting to see how he responds.

Eldan
2009-09-01, 07:41 PM
A sad expression comes upon Keled's face and he shakes his head.
"Green... no, Green is wrong. Green I don't like, and neither did that storm. I made it red, of that I'm certain."

PId6
2009-09-02, 12:29 AM
Achamian

"Storms eh? He he," Achamian chuckles a bit nervously, "Well, I've never sailed in a ship before. I suppose it's exciting, with battlefields and storms and green lightning and all. I've only heard stories about things like that, since I frequented taverns and ports a lot, like old Kuruk here. Part of the reason I came here to try my hand at it. Hmm, actually, do you prefer Kuruk or Maira? Wouldn't want to call you by the wrong name now!"

The_Shaman
2009-09-02, 06:39 AM
Kuruk-Maira looked at the youth to the side. Made a storm, did he? In case he was truthful, he would be one to watch. In case he lied... well, he did have teeth aplenty, wouldn't miss one or two. Or a handful. Kuruk-Maira is my right name. I guess you can call me Kuruk if you're too lazy to bother; I'll respond most of the time. You telling me you actually wanted to do this? Hrmph. he snorts with distaste. Still, if we get lucky, we might see a few things without getting a look at the dead-book from the inside.

SilentNight
2009-09-02, 11:50 PM
Savin reaches to take an amulet with his right hand, then gives a flash of a grimace and takes it with his left instead. Fastening it slowly, he gives a look at Keled, noting his words. "I'venot...sailed....before. But I'm good with rope, climbing thatsortofthing." He finishes quickly.

technophile
2009-09-03, 04:34 PM
Hoisting her pack to a more comfortable position, Kasadya ***** her head at the others.

"Azzagrat. Well, at least the ships' masters know what they're about, if they want to trade there. If any of you have shopping to do, that's a lovely place for it, so I hear. Keep your wits about you and don't get lightfingered. Or at least don't get caught." She smiles nastily, emphasizing the last word.

PId6
2009-09-04, 01:02 AM
Achamian

"Sounds like an excellent place to make a stop, eh? Well anyway, shall we go check out our quarters? I'd like to see where we sleep and maybe what type of company we'll be keeping."

The_Shaman
2009-09-04, 05:57 PM
Kuruk-Maira

Kuruk-Maira snorts, and looks sideways at Kasadya. If we get some loot, we need a place to sell it. Might get a bit tricky if we get it from the same people who rule that place, though. Do you know who's cutting the dog there?

Gnorman
2009-09-08, 08:28 PM
Later that night

The spiral obsidian towers of Zelatar slowly pull into view as the Grinning Ghoul pulls into one of the many bustling ports. Smaller skiffs swarm around the boat, with marraenoloths and other fiends offering passage. Throughout the docks you can hear the calls of merchants and touts.

You're rudely awakened by a frenzied pounding on the door of the crew cabin. The quartermaster, a babau missing one eye, hisses at you.

Get up, fools! You're on duty. Kruthak has requested your presence. You will accompany him to meet with our contact. He'll be striking a bargain to carry some cargo, and you're to provide him with protection. There's a warehouse a few blocks towards the Argent Palace, called Ghours-Eye Importers. You're to meet him there. He has personally given me leave to lash any of you who dawdle! Get going, get going!

Hurrying you off the ship, he deposits you on the dock and grins widely, showing a maw full of sharp, crooked teeth.

Try not to get lost on the way, halfbreeds.

The cobblestone streets of Zelatar are dark and covered in soot. Every minute or so, you can hear the belch and roar of oven fires, and see a flash of emerald flame. Hooded figures push by you, seeming not to care except for the occasional derisive sneer.

PId6
2009-09-09, 02:47 AM
Achamian

As the obsidian towers come into view, Achamian seems to watch in wonderment from the portholes, his gaze fixed out the side of the ship. He jabbered excitedly upon seeing the city, and made various exclamations about the sights. After they climb down onto the dock, Achamian stares wide-eyed even more at the wondrous creatures on these streets, only to shrink away when he saw the hostile looks he evoked with his staring. Finally, he turns to his companions and whispers loudly, "So where are we anyway? Is this that Azza-something place we were making for?"

SilentNight
2009-09-09, 08:43 AM
As the towers come into view, Savin smiles sublimely, the fire and brimstone seemed to please the music. This truly was where he belonged. Nodding his head gently, he gets out of his hammock, landing lightly on the floor. Turning to Achamian, he shrugs, "I'm as new here as you mate." With that, Savin hustles out onto the deck and into the streets, keeping a wary eye out.

technophile
2009-09-09, 09:03 AM
Kasa drops lightly from her hammock to the floor, her hand caressing the hilt of her sword as she glares at the quartermaster.

As they debark, Kasadya's eyes rove constantly, and her hand never strays far from that hilt as she scans for immediate threats. The fabulous towers rate little more than a quick glance.

"Zelatar. We're in Zelatar, the capital of Azzagrat. Graz'zt rules Azzagrat from this city. As I said, keep your wits about you, and if anyone asks where we came from, don't tell them."

She glances pointedly at Savin, then returns to watching -- glaring at, really -- the surrounding crowds.

SilentNight
2009-09-10, 08:43 AM
Savin raises a bushy eyebrow at Kasadya's comment and scoffs. "You really think I need to be told that? I said I'm new, not stupid."

The_Shaman
2009-09-10, 02:38 PM
Kuruk-Maıra

The tıeflıng mumbled somethıng under hıs breath quıetly as he jumped from the hammock, but he followed the others eagerly enough. In the cıty ıtself he eyes the towers for a moment wıth some unknown anger, then shrugs and joıns the others. He sneezes, then glares around. Whatever, letīs hurry. Thıs town stınks to the pıts. Maybe we wıllget an opportunıty to "securıtıze" someone, at least.

As he says that, however, he keeps an eye on the varıous creatures they pass by. He ıs wary - ın hıs experıence, seeıng anythıng new means you donīt know when ıt wıll attack - but also curıous at the same town. He mıght never admıt ıt, but he ıs somewhat excıted to be ın new town, especıally one lıke thıs.

Gnorman
2009-09-11, 05:16 PM
The warehouse is squat and rotten, and the sign proclaiming its name is threatening to fall at any moment. There is no sign of Kruthak, and the streets have become suspiciously empty. You can hear the faint flapping of large, powerful wings a short ways away. From a window, you can hear the sharp clink of steel on steel and the scraping of claws on wood. It sounds as if there is a battle going on inside - or perhaps a vigorous torture session.

Suddenly, from inside the door, you hear a bellowing voice you recognize as the first mate who inducted you onto the crew.

You rotten, squirming bastard! How dare you betray me like this! I'll suck the marrow from your bones while you're still alive to savor the pain!

PId6
2009-09-11, 06:55 PM
Achamian

Achamian looks quite disturbed by the sounds and his voice seems to tremble a bit, "Eh... m-maybe we should get back to the ship? N-nothing seems to be happening here, so it's probably best if we just slip away and..." his voice trails off and he nervously glance at the others.

technophile
2009-09-11, 07:28 PM
Kasadya pauses for a barely perceptible heartbeat, then theatrically rolls her eyes at Drusus.

"I'm sure Kruthak has everything in hand." Suddenly her expression changes, to a hard, predatory stare. "Either way, you don't back me up, I'll drown you in the Styx myself. Without that pretty amulet."

She turns and opens the door, barehanded and seemingly unconcerned, and strides inside.

They better back me up, it'd be a pain in the ass to hunt them all down. Her hand itches for her blade, itches to call it from its sheath and bury it in meat and blood, itches for the clarity and sharpness of combat, but she forces the feelings down long enough to take in the room and the situation.

PId6
2009-09-11, 08:21 PM
Achamian

The scrawny little tiefling gulps audibly, then looks around at the others, as if looking for support. Seeing nothing reassuring in those faces, he sighs and follows Kasadya inside, reluctantly reaching for his cutlasses while he goes.

Eldan
2009-09-12, 07:47 AM
Keled

Keled wanders through the city with a vacant grin on his face, staring at the sights with wide eyes.
"Backup...", he finally adds as they stand before the warehouse.
"Yes, we are back up."
Without another word, he follows her inside, one hand inside the heavy, grey woolen cloak, holding the spell component pouch hidden somewhere beneath layers of clothing.

SilentNight
2009-09-12, 10:52 AM
At the sound of scraping steel, Savin's muscles tense and the music surges in his head. The music liked battle, anticipated it. He then begins to sing in a deep baritone, moving in between resonant long-tones and rhythmic lines.

Activating a Louvacao, Savin gains a morale bonus on attack and damage equal to his intelligence modifier as long as he maintains the song.

The_Shaman
2009-09-12, 11:47 AM
Kuruk-Maıra

Kuruk-Maıra smırks at the snake-bloodīs suggestıon. Maybe he was wrong about the parentage, he thought - no spawn of a marılıth, no matter how dıstant, could say somethıng lıke that. He follows Kasadya ın wıth a chuckle on hıs mouth and hıs trusty mornıngstar ın hıs rıght hand. The day was startıng to pıck up, he thought as he squınted to get accustomed to the gloom ınsıde the buıldıng. He would not mınd havıng a tussle wıth that one, but there was no way he was mıssıng thıs.

Gnorman
2009-09-15, 09:33 PM
Bursting into the warehouse, you are greeted by the sight of Kruthak wielding a wicked snaggle-toothed cutlass, clumsily flying about the beams in the upper reaches of the building. Below, a cloaked figure focuses its attention on him, firing beams of crackling red energy at the panting nalfeshnee.

Ha! There you are! Don't just stand there, you fools! Kill him! He's stolen our shipment, betrayed us and he'll betray the captain next!

The cloaked figure turns towards you momentarily and glares at you from underneath his hood.

Interlopers. Stay out of this. This is not your fight.

The figure snaps his fingers and two large canine creatures jump out of the shadows, growling menacingly at you.

OOC:
Combat!

We're going to do group initiative, because it'll just slow us down otherwise. You'll go first, followed by the opponents. Order shouldn't matter too much, but if it does, it'll go: Achamian, Savin, Kasadya, Kuruk-Maira, and Keled. Knowledge (the planes) checks must be made to learn more about your foes.

PId6
2009-09-15, 11:25 PM
Achamian

Achamian looks panicked at the sight of the horrid creatures and looks back, as if preparing to run. However, he catches sight of Kasadya, gulps again, then swallows his fear and turns back towards the creatures. Taking a worn-looking stick from his belt, he points it towards the canines and utters an incomprehensible word. Suddenly, fine strands of sticky fiber appears around the stick, firing off into the midst of the beasts. The fibers attaches themselves to the walls, and sticks to both to the creatures along with dark figure.

"Careful, I've met a few yugoloths in my dockside days, and I've seen more than one that was trailed by beasts like these. They're Canoloths, dumb, vicious brutes that serve their masters unquestioningly. Watch out, they use their ears and noses to 'see' much better than we do!"

Web DC 12.

The_Shaman
2009-09-16, 08:37 AM
Kuruk-Maira

Kuruk-Maira assesses the situation quickly, standing by the door. Looks like the Nalfeshnee got himself jumped. He didn't like him much, but technically he was being paid to fight for him... He was getting paid, right? The lanky berk had some fancy tricks, but he was outnumbered. Not their fight? Not too bloody likely, he smirked. The hooded bloke obviously didn't know him very well.

He was about to charge the minions when the snakeblood told him they were Canoloths. Well, come to think of it, that looked right... and then the lanky one was probably some top-mucking loth himself. He was probably more dangerous overall, but he was focused on the nalfeshnee, and besides, the slavering mutts would try to blindside whoever went for him. Their turn first, then... The tiefling stared in the eyes of the nearest demon, and charged in with a howl, swinging his weapon for all he's worth

OOC
HP 53, AC 17

Kuruk-Maira's actions depend on what the situation is when he moves. If the cannoloths are within 30 feet, he will allocate 1 point of essentia from the Worg Pelt to the Girallion Arms. If there is a pup within reach, he will go for a full attack.

Edit: I need to post the rolls in a new reply, apparently.

technophile
2009-09-16, 09:45 AM
Kasadya takes in the situation at a glance, noting Achamian's terrified look with a grim smile.

She draws her sword smoothly, dropping into a ready crouch automatically. The smile becomes a laugh as she moves forward into battle.

OOC:

Swift action: assume Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage, -2AC)
Free action: draw sword (Lesser Crystal of Return)

AC: 18, HP: 45, Maneuvers Ready: Steel Wind, Claw at the Moon, Disarming Strike, Iron Heart Surge

How far apart is everyone? Can Kasa get to the robed figure with a single move without taking any AOOs?

technophile
2009-09-16, 03:28 PM
Kasadya runs forward, her blade held low, right to the edge of the web, to a point where both of the canoloths are within reach. She lunges to her left, slashing quickly with her blade, then spins back to her right, the sword flashing in a swift backhand blow.

Move Action: single move to a square that threatens both canoloths (if possible; if not, ignore the second attach roll below).
Standard Action: Steel Wind maneuver (make separate attacks against two different targets within melee range).

Attack 1 (left): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (plus [roll2] from stance)

Attack 2 (right): [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] (plus [roll5] from stance)

AC: 18, HP: 45, Maneuvers Ready: Steel Wind, Claw at the Moon, Disarming Strike, Iron Heart Surge
Stance: Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage, -2 AC)

SilentNight
2009-09-17, 07:45 PM
Savin's smile grows even larger and more menacing as he continues to sing. He begins to add a little dance as well, moving one foot forward and crossing the opposite arm in front of his chest, then bringing them back and putting the other arm forward. Stepping in a sort of triangle, Savin dances forward and delivers a spinning kick to the side of one of the dog's heads.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1] 11 from the OOC thread.
HP:33/33
AC:23

Eldan
2009-09-18, 01:36 PM
Keled shakes his had repeatedly, nervously.
"No, no, no, no, no. This is wrong. All wrong."
Then he starts whispering to himself, in a language none save him and the storm can understand, and lightning gathers between his outstretched fingers.

Using Lesser Orb of Electricity on the cloaked figure.

Ranged Touch attack:
[roll0]

Electricity Damage:
[roll1]

If it has spell resistance:
[roll2]

The_Shaman
2009-09-19, 05:54 AM
OOC: Posting the mechanics thread so the roller can kick in:

He charges the nearer cannoloth, making 1 morningstar attack at +10, damage 1d8+6 (uses weapon with both hands), AC drops to 15.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], cold iron

The_Shaman
2009-09-19, 05:55 AM
OOC:Edit: critical threat confirmation: [roll0]

Gnorman
2009-09-22, 06:01 PM
From between two dusty crates, a copse of creaky cobwebs erupts and squirms its way across the warehouse, catching the canoloths inside and obscuring your view of the battle between Kruthak and the cloaked figure. One of them bounds through the web and avoids it with little difficulty, though the other is overwhelmed and practically drowned in viscous strands.

Savin rushes forward and rotates in a vicious angle, slamming his heel into the side of the canoloth's head. It lets out an audible yelp at the impact, and one of the armored plates along its neck is left with a foot-shaped dent.

Kasadya is able to maneuver herself between the two canoloths, just at the edge of the web, and delivers a punishing slash to both fiends, cutting deep between their spiked plating.

Kuruk-Maira follows up the melee barrage with a well-timed blow from his morning star, brutally slamming into the canoloth nearest him. It is beginning to tire and weaken, but still stands strong and ready to continue the fight.

Keled's lightning orb, no longer aimed properly due to the webs, flies into the mass of strands and disappears.

The canoloth's tongue darts out of its mouth and each barb flies in a different direction, hoping to spear all three of you within melee range. It also attempts to deliver a vicious bite to Kasadya.

OOC:

One canoloth is entangled, attempted to free itself, but failed. The other made the save, rolled a 20 on its Escape Artist attempt, so I'm dm-fiating it an attack through "critical success." (yeah, I sometimes do that for skills).

Attack (tongue): [roll0] (hits any AC it beats)
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

That's aimed at Kuruk-Maira, Kasadya, and Savin.

Attack (bite): [roll3]
Confirm: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

At Kasadya.

If it makes you feel any better, Eldan, you didn't beat the SR anyway.

PId6
2009-09-22, 09:40 PM
Achamian

Achamian, seeing his allies having done a lot of harm already to the two beasts, takes courage at their success and convinces himself to rush in as well. Leaping into the fray, literally, he jumps through the air gracefully and lands between the two beasts. Unexpectedly, rather than attacking with a weapon, he sweeps down with his arm, attempting to grasp onto the hound to launch it into the air. However, the hound's uncanny sight made it more than aware of Achamian's attempted action, and it easily avoids Akka's attempted grasp. Frustrated by his own failure, Achamian reaches for his cutlasses and prepares to attack in earnest.

[roll0]

I try to position myself between the two canoloths, next to the unwebbed one and within 5 ft of the webbed one, if possible. If not, then I'll just move next to the unwebbed one.

Use Mighty Throw maneuver to pick up the canoloth and throw it into the same spot in front of me, but prone. [roll1] [roll2]

Wow, a trip check that can't possibly fail, along with a touch attack that can't possibly succeed. What a cruel ****ing joke.

SilentNight
2009-09-23, 11:54 PM
The music continues to pound in Savin's ears, drowning out the pain of the tongue lash and all other sounds. Falling into a sort of triangle dance again, Savin then brings both arms in front of him as if to block and sweeps his foot up into the canoloth's head again.

Attack:[roll0]
Crit confirmation:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
AC 24, HP:25/33

technophile
2009-09-24, 09:03 AM
Kasadya snarls as the canoloth's tongue spears it, and again as the thing's brutal mouth clamps down on her. Ripping free, she reverses her longsword in her hand and leaps into the air over the beast, her blade plunging towards its armored back with her full weight behind it.

If Achamian and Savin kill it first, then she'll attack the other canoloth instead, obviously. :smallwink:

Claw at the Moon strike: Make a Jump check vs. target's AC. If you succeed, you do 2d6 extra damage and get a +4 to any critical confirmation roll if you hit on the following attack. If you fail, you attack as normal.

Jump check: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Crit confirm: [roll2] +4 (if the check succeeds)
Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] (if the check succeeds)

AC: 18, HP: 24/45, Maneuvers Ready: Steel Wind, Claw at the Moon, Disarming Strike, Iron Heart Surge
Stance: Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage, -2 AC)

The_Shaman
2009-09-24, 09:20 AM
Kuruk-Maira

Kuruk-Maira gasps as the cannoloth's tongue pierces his vest and burrows deep within him. Enraged, he lunges closer and wallops the creature with his weapon. He is not done at all, however: his left arm changes to a muscled blue-furred claw, and two more like it appear from his shoulders. With them, he smashes into the cannoloth with a blood-curdling roar, eager to tear it limb from limb.

Ok, presuming the cannoloth still isn't dead, I do a full attack my morningstar and 3 girallion claws as secondary attacks (+2 to attack and damage due to the essentia in them).
Attacks: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
Damage: [roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7]

Eldan
2009-10-01, 03:15 AM
Keled

"Webs, webs. Stupid. In the way, they are. The wind is not flowing freely. Then you will die instead."

With jerky motions, Keled summons another sphere of lightning from his fingertips, shooting it at the entangled monstrosity.

I'm assuming that one of them is probably dead by now, so I'm shooting the other.

Attack roll:
1d20+3[/roll]

Damage:
[roll0]

Spell Resistance:
[roll1]

Eldan
2009-10-01, 03:27 AM
Whoops.
Attack Roll:
[roll0]

Gnorman
2009-10-02, 07:28 AM
Achamian rushes in to trip the canoloth, but the quadruped is relatively surefooted and shakes off his attempt.

Savin has a bit more luck, and strikes a glancing blow against the beast's shoulder, causing it to wince in pain.

It is Kasadya, however, who delivers the final blow, leaping high and diving hard, plunging her sword deep into the canoloth's skull. It twitches and spasms for a few seconds, and then lies still.

The other canoloth still struggles mightily against the cobwebs, but cannot free itself - leaving it open to attack from Kuruk-Maira, who manages to land a few rending claw strikes against its armored hide, doing minor damage.

Keled, taking advantage of the immobile foe, blasts it with scintillating, sparking orb, sending jolts of pain up the creature's spine.

The other canoloth's corpse begins to ooze a foul ichor, the acidic liquid eating through the shoddy floorboards of the warehouse. The other is immobilized and impotent, while still the sounds of battle rage from beyond the mass of squirming webs.

Suddenly, you hear a frenzied scream, Kruthak's hideous growl morphed into a high-pitched keening whine. There is a foul slurping noise, like pudding being sucked through a straw, and a rush of wind swirls outward through the warehouse, picking up crates, carts, and other various debris and tossing them through the shoddy glass windows, shattering them into pieces.

PId6
2009-10-03, 12:32 AM
Achamian

Not sure what to do and certain that the noises can't be good, Achamian begins waving frantically, calling for his spell to end. With this dismissal, his Web begins to shrink and contract, and he peers carefully through the mess to get a sense of what's going on, all the while keeping an eye on the now-freed canoloth.

Gnorman
2009-10-07, 05:15 AM
With the webs now gone, the source of the noise is clear. Kruthak's obese body is distended horribly, drawn towards an iron flask held in the cloaked figure's thickly-wrapped hand. Like being sucked into a black hole or through a long straw, Kruthak's paunch is funneled down into a thin cone, slurping into the flask with a sickening squishing noise and a cloud of foul smoke. When the nalfeshnee has finally disappeared into the flask, there is a loud pop and the smoke is expelled outwards. The cloaked figure turns to you and lifts back its hood, revealing a thin, featureless face marked by two burning yellow eyes. It gestures quickly to the remaining canoloth, and a smooth, measured voice begins to echo in your minds.

Sit. Good boy. Now then. You're Kruthak's errand runners, I suppose? I regret to inform you that there will be no guard duty nor escort services for cargo required. Kruthak wished you here to provide him with cannon fodder or distractions. He was attempting to betray me and take the Grinning Ghoul for himself. And his punishment shall be nothing short of eternal for such an offense. It is such a tragedy to incarcerate one of his talents, but I cannot risk his disloyalty. He shall serve a new purpose now, and his potential will be all the greater as one of my test subjects.

Ah, but where are my manners? You know nothing of our feud, nor should you. Greetings, crew members. I am the Captain.

The_Shaman
2009-10-07, 02:58 PM
Kuruk-Maira

Kuruk-Maira looked at the strange figure with suspicion and unveiled hostility as it called the cannoloth down, but seeing what happened to Kruthak made him anxious to approach. He didn't feel fear often... but something on the back of his mind was telling him he was way out of his league. Oh yeah, must be one of those "common sense" thingies.

Hey, what the heck. This guy was stronger, he didn't seem to want to kill them right now, and it's not like he owned the fat slob anything. Might as well, he thought as the other guy was speaking...

Wait, that's the captain? What in the Pits is he doing here, in that spawnforsaken shack? Why wasn't he on the ship? he thought, looking at the fiend with some confusion. He was curious, but maybe he could wait for answers. For now, he might as well go along with this.

Orders, sir?

technophile
2009-10-07, 03:37 PM
Kasadya does not leave her combat stance, her blade still poised to strike at the now-sitting canoloth and adrenaline still surging through her. She glances at the figure with eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"You have any proof you're the captain, or should we just trust your honest face?"

I hope he wasn't attached to that dog. Hate to get my pay docked first time out of the gate for doing my job, by the infinite levels.

PId6
2009-10-07, 03:58 PM
Achamian

His eyes wide at realizing who they had been fighting, Achamian immediately fell upon his knees and started blubbering a cross between an apology and a plea for mercy. He considers saying something along the lines of an "I told you so" to Kasadya, or at least saying something like "Don't taunt the goddemon-killing abominationcaptain," but wisely decides to hold his tongue instead.

SilentNight
2009-10-09, 08:31 AM
Savin gives a startled look and takes a while to take in what just happened. Cautiously, he slowly begins to bow his head in apology, listening. As he hears the music condone the action, he finishes. "What now captain?" He asks.