PDA

View Full Version : Treating weapons as light weapons

quick_comment
2009-08-26, 11:09 PM
Are there any feats or weapon enhancements available that allow you to treat a bastard sword as a light weapon?

I want to be able to use flick of the wrist + iaijutsu focus. Flick of the wrist requires a light weapon.

Via Iaijtusu master I can already finesse the bastard sword, but I dont think that really matters.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-26, 11:16 PM
Sun Sword in IIRC, a Ravenloft book, treats a Bastard Sword as a Short Sword.

quick_comment
2009-08-26, 11:17 PM
Is that a feat or a class?

9mm
2009-08-26, 11:19 PM
Are there any feats or weapon enhancements available that allow you to treat a bastard sword as a light weapon?

I want to be able to use flick of the wrist + iaijutsu focus. Flick of the wrist requires a light weapon.

Via Iaijtusu master I can already finesse the bastard sword, but I dont think that really matters.

... honestly quick draw/quick sheath + a way to make the flat-footed for more than a round would serve you better. The sun sword from Ravenloft could could work if my memory still works.

Edit: ninja'd and it's a legacy weapon.

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-26, 11:21 PM
http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-MagicItems-WeaponsArmor.pdf

sun blade - dmg p228

Kallisti
2009-08-26, 11:21 PM
Depending on the DM, he might allow you to stack effects that reduce a weapon's category. So Monkey Grip+Strongarm Bracers, or Strongarm Bracers+Powerful Build, etc. would work.

Other than that, Sun Sword.

quick_comment
2009-08-26, 11:22 PM
I have multiple ways to flatfoot the opponent. The main resuable method is sapphire nightmare blade.

I considered blurstrike, but the fact that it doesnt work on people with blindsight or uncanny dodge makes its pretty useless at high levels

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-26, 11:23 PM
Edit: ninja'd and it's a legacy weapon.I'm pretty sure it's not. I thought it was just a specific magic item, like a Luck Blade or Assassin's Dagger.

LibraryOgre
2009-08-27, 12:06 AM
Sun Sword in IIRC, a Ravenloft book, treats a Bastard Sword as a Short Sword.

With his fabulous Sun Sword! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAobPugvsk)

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-27, 12:09 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not. I thought it was just a specific magic item, like a Luck Blade or Assassin's Dagger.

Yep. Right from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade)

Skorj
2009-08-27, 12:16 AM
I'm interested in the OPs actual question - is there a feat anywhere to make heavy weapons work with light weapons feats. Sort of like Monkey Grip lets you use weapons you ordinarily couldn't use without penalty.

Signmaker
2009-08-27, 12:27 AM
Feycraft weapon property? I am not entirely sure as to how it works with a bastard sword though.

Coidzor
2009-08-27, 12:27 AM
I think in 3.0 it was supposed to be a minor artifact but in 3.5 it was just a specific magic item.

sofawall
2009-08-27, 12:37 AM
Feycraft allows weapon finesse, I think, but doesn't make it light (unless it's one handed? Gah, too confusing. AFB anyway.)

quick_comment
2009-08-27, 12:42 AM
I checked feycraft. It specifies that the weapon counts as light ONLY for purposes of weapon finesse.

sofawall
2009-08-27, 12:43 AM
Curses. Foiled again, by the crafty fey.

quick_comment
2009-08-27, 12:47 AM
Also, there is the bizzare requirement that only a fey with exotic weapon prof: bastard sword could make a feycraft weapon, since it can only be applied to 1 handed weapons

FMArthur
2009-08-27, 01:39 AM
The Slight Build ability (the only race I know of that gets it is kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a), but I haven't looked hard and there must be others) would let you wield a weapon made for a size category smaller than you without penalty. One-handed weapons wielded by creatures a size larger than them are treated as light weapons. You could do this without Slight Build at a -2 penalty. Previously I thought the only use of this ability was a +4 on Hide, but I guess it could also let you wield two-handed weapons (such as any reach weapon) in one hand. But you lose a size category worth of damage, obviously.

Thurbane
2009-08-27, 05:08 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not. I thought it was just a specific magic item, like a Luck Blade or Assassin's Dagger.
There's a legacy weapon in the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft module called the Sunsword, which I think he was confusing with the regular Sunblade in the DMG. :smallwink: