PDA

View Full Version : Question: Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land

Alejandro
2009-08-27, 12:04 AM
Please, No Spoilers!!

I am playing a character in Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. In this campaign book, there are areas where evocation and transmutation spells cannot be cast, because of the unwinding weave. Does this also mean that a transmutation item, such as gloves of dexterity, does not work at all in said areas? The GM has found a half dozen examples in the book of NPCs having magic items and tactics for using said items that would all be wrong, if such items actually cannot function at all.

The book says (from my GM) "A decrease in caster level does not cause magic items to become inert but simply to operate at the reduced caster level, even if that would normally be too low for the magic item. For example, a potion of cure moderate wounds (caster level 3rd) does not become "inert" within a stage 1 or stage 2 zone. Rather, its level-dependent functions simply manifest at the reduced numbers, in this case healing 2d8+2 points of damage in a stage 1 zone and 2d8+1 points of damage in a stage 2 zone."

Again, my GM and I are trying to figure this out (since I brought it up.) Please, no spoilers, as this is an ongoing game. We just want to seek advice from others as to what is going on here and whether or not a big chunk of our party's items are all going to stop working, or not.

Elfin
2009-08-27, 12:07 AM
Looking at the title of this thread, I thought it had something to do with The Lord of the Rings...

Alejandro
2009-08-27, 12:14 AM
Thanks. I messed up and was thinking of the LOTR book chapter. I fixed it.

Darwin
2009-08-27, 02:23 AM
Well, you said it yourself, the item does not get completely deactivated. If the items doesn't depend on CL (ex: gloves of dexterity) then they work just as before. However wands, potions and other charged items that depend on caster level work at a reduced rate.