PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Clerical Clarification

Ent
2009-08-27, 01:30 AM
My Cleric is level 3 after last night, and I've chosen Hymn of Resurgence (Level 3 Encounter Prayer, Divine Power p.33).

The -2 penalty to all defenses it gives does not state when it ends. Is it Intended to end when the second part of the "hit" ends, "until the end of your next turn", of should we use it as Written and just have it as really good debuff that last for the encounter?

Thajocoth
2009-08-27, 01:59 AM
Wizards is getting sloppy with their wording...

Encounter powers usually grant benefits for a round, and most thing's effects that say "and" between two parts of the effect last for the same amount of time with both halves, so it's probably the same duration as the other half of the hit effect which is one round. I'm sure they'll errata in some better wording eventually.

serok42
2009-08-27, 06:09 AM
My cleric has that power and it is until the end of your (or their) next turn. (I don't remember which)

I will have to look when I get home.

I think they have errated it already and it is in the character builder. I have not bothered to actually look at the power in divine power.

My Cleric is level 3 after last night, and I've chosen Hymn of Resurgence (Level 3 Encounter Prayer, Divine Power p.33).

The -2 penalty to all defenses it gives does not state when it ends. Is it Intended to end when the second part of the "hit" ends, "until the end of your next turn", of should we use it as Written and just have it as really good debuff that last for the encounter?

tcrudisi
2009-08-27, 11:00 PM
Well, they've not released Divine Power's errata yet. However, this one looks straight-forward to me (and I'm sure some might disagree, but whatever).

Since the power reads: "The target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses. When an ally hits a target before the end of your next turn, the target is knocked prone." There are only 5 options as to the possibility of how long this can last: end of the monsters next turn, beginning of your next turn, end of your next turn, save ends, and end of the encounter. Since one part of the power already says, "before the end of your next turn", I would be willing to bet a lot of gold that's how long the first part of the power works for.

Plus, that just makes sense. Why would the -2 to all defenses be save ends, for example, if the players still get to knock them prone? To me those abilities are clumped together, so they should last the same amount of time.

Gralamin
2009-08-27, 11:25 PM
I think they have errated it already and it is in the character builder. I have not bothered to actually look at the power in divine power.

They have not. However, tcrudisi guess is probably correct.