PDA

View Full Version : Generalist wizard and arcane thesis ideas?

Korivan
2009-08-27, 05:01 PM
I'm a human generalist wizard/incantrix (took enchantment as my barred school)using UA rules swapping out scribe scroll and summon familiar for different feats, using the vast majority of my character and racial feat(s) for metamagic and stuff. So far I've taken extend, quicken, silent, and invisible spell. Along with other stuff I've taken I still have two or three feats left over for my build and I've always wanted to use AT.
Since I focus on buffing/debuffing/battlefield controll I've thought about using these for AT.

Dispel/greater dispel magic
enervation
Any other ideas?

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-27, 05:16 PM
If you can cheatery your way into getting Wings of Flurry, then that's another option. If your DM is generous, I believe Extra Spell would suffice. Otherwise, Wyrmwizard 2 or Recaster gets it for you, but both options lose you a caster level, but that's a little blasty.

Wall of Stone might not be a terrible suggestion, assuming enemies have both poor Ref saves and no means of teleportation, but largey enemies make it less than practical.

Korivan
2009-08-27, 07:25 PM
If you can cheatery your way into getting Wings of Flurry, then that's another option. If your DM is generous, I believe Extra Spell would suffice. Otherwise, Wyrmwizard 2 or Recaster gets it for you, but both options lose you a caster level, but that's a little blasty.

Wall of Stone might not be a terrible suggestion, assuming enemies have both poor Ref saves and no means of teleportation, but largey enemies make it less than practical.

I have no idea where Wings of Flurry, recaster, or wyrmwizard are from. Can you give me the books where they are from?

Myrmex
2009-08-27, 08:10 PM
Typical choices for AT are Orb of Fire & Enervate. Enervate isn't that great at higher levels, since things that are immune to it are far more frequent. Orb of Fire needs a good deal of finnagling to make it useful against all enemies.

Force Missile (spell compendium) or Hailstorm (PHB) would both be decent to AT. They are both evocations that do pure damage, but Hailstorm has a duration, which means you can both blast and use it for battlefield control (move or die), or put over some black tentacles or something, as long as you extend it. Force Missile is a 3rd level (I think) version of magic missile, except it's not blocked by shield spells and does A LOT of damage, when properly metamagic'd.

Starbuck_II
2009-08-27, 08:14 PM
I have no idea where Wings of Flurry, recaster, or wyrmwizard are from. Can you give me the books where they are from?

Wings of Flurry I think is Dragononicon or Races of Dragon.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-28, 12:35 AM

My bad. I want to say Wings of Flurry is in Races of the Dragon, as someone else has already mentioned.

Recaster is a Changeling only PrC from Races of Ebberon (might be Magic of Ebberon, but I'm leaning on Races) and Wyrm Wizard is a PrC from Dragon Magic.

Both of them take a caster level hit at first level, but, by the second level, you get a free spell from any list.

Cyclocone
2009-08-28, 06:48 AM
Recaster is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=3).

(Mordenkainen's) Force Missiles are here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20020809a).
I do belive this version is identical to the one printed in SpC.

Force Missiles become quite decent if you can talk your DM into letting Force Missile Mage apply to them (apparently, many do).
Oh, and it appears in Dragon 328 IIRC, and also here (http://www.crystalkeep.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=622).